Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know this was posted yesterday but I just saw it. Great post jkh!

johncalvinhall said:
Salvation is for the elect !

Then if you're going to quote Scripture in that context, you're in trouble if you are not a Jew.
John 4:22
(22) Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Fortunately for us, we have an answer.
Acts 13:47
(47) For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.
Salvation to the elect..., no, that's not what Acts 13:47 says here, but salvation unto the ends of the earth.
Titus 2:11
(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
According to John Calvin, God's Grace is extended only to the elect, because according to good ole' JC God's Grace is irresistible. But according to God's Word, God's Grace has appeared to ALL MEN.

Who should I believe, God or John Calvin?

But what do you do with 1 Timothy 2:3-6?
1 Timothy 2:3-6
(3) For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;
(4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
(5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
(6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
John Calvin says that salvation is just for the elect. God's Word says salvation is available for all! Who should I believe, God or John Calvin?

A major quandary that Calvinists have a problem with is their view on the Sovereignty of God.
  • They believe that God's Sovereignty/ Grace is irresistible,
  • If this is so, then if we take the Bible literally (along with this false doctrine), then ALL MEN WILL BE SAVED,
  • Which they know is not the case.
So, how do they handle this dilemma?
  1. Like A.W. Pink, many will redefine the word "all", or
  2. Many Reformers reject a literal interpretation of Scripture and allegorize everything (best example I have seen is Harold Camping of Family Radio. Wow, can he allegorize or what!), or
  3. Like the Pharisees of Matthew 15, you nullify Scripture by your own traditions!
Matthew 15:3-6
(3) But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
(4) For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
(5) But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
(6) And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Like those who believe in Baptismal Regeneration, you take one verse completely out of context and reinterpret the rest of God's Holy Word to meet your fancy.

You love to puff yourself up and claim to be some elitist group, and reject the very idea that God so loved the world (John 3:16).

I speak this to your shame!

Context

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Imagine that. Someone named after John Calvin, refuting Calvinism. That's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.