Turbo's POTD 4/16/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Way to use a tragedy to make a cheap argument about theology....:nono: :down:

Was Jesus being cheap when He used the tragedy of Pilate mingling the blood of the Galileans with their sacrifices to warn others to repent or perish? Was He justified to use the tragic accident of the tower in Siloam to warn others to repent of their sins or else the same would happen to them?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I still don't see how that's the same as what seer did. :idunno:

And I don't mind getting POTD'ed on, Vaq. :chuckle:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I still don't see how that's the same as what seer did. :idunno:

In both cases, tragic current events were used to illustrate a point to the wicked.

Maybe you could explain what exactly you find inappropriate about Seer's post, and then explain how the passage Tico said was not similarly inappropriate.

It seemed like you thought it was inappropriate to use a tragedy to make a theological point. Is that not the case? Is that not exactly what Christ did?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
In both cases, tragic current events were used to illustrate a point to the wicked.

Maybe you could explain what exactly you find inappropriate about Seer's post, and then explain how the passage Tico said was not similarly inappropriate.

It seemed like you thought it was inappropriate to use a tragedy to make a theological point. Is that not the case? Is that not exactly what Christ did?
I think the main reason I thought it was inappropriate was the timing. I've seen people make similar points but use events in the past and it doesn't seem nearly as wrong to me. But as far as seer's point and Jesus.....
People brought the first event to Jesus' attention and from His response it seems they thought that the victims were the worst of sinners for them to have died in that way. Then Jesus brings up the 2nd event. In each case Jesus says that those events had nothing to do with how "bad" of a sinner those people were and that without repentance they will suffer the same fate.

seer's point.....atheists and agnostics shouldn't be morally outraged by these events because they don't believe in a god, therefore there are no absolute morals.

So yes, both seer and Jesus used tragic events, but 1) the points are different and I think seer's point was more inappropriate (at least the timing of it like I said above). and 2) Jesus answered in response to people seemingly thinking that they were ok and that the people who died must have been the most egregious sinners.

Status
Not open for further replies.