Knight's POTD 06-03-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Great smack written by Turbo!!!

impleri said:
Look up what happened in August 1997 as the resolution of the patent infringement lawsuit. USD$150M of "preferred" stock mean 7%. This year makes nine years.
OK, before you said:
"Bill Gates bought himself controlling shares in Apple a while back...we're going on nearly 10 years."​
Do you know what preferred stock is?
A security that shows ownership in a corporation and gives the holder a claim, prior to the claim of common stockholders, on earnings and also generally on assets in the event of liquidation. Most preferred stock pays a fixed dividend that is paid prior to the common stock dividend, stated in a dollar amount or as a percentage of par value. This stock does not usually carry voting rights. Preferred stock has characteristics of both common stock and debt.​
Even if these shares did carry voting rights, 7% is a far cry from a controlling share (which would be >50%).

So, you did a good job of refuting your earlier claim that Bill Gates controls Apple. :thumb: Hopefully we can put that notion to rest now.

And how many other office suites (or simply basic software) did MS assimilate into its line after it left the Apple platform? By the time Office became popular through Win95, it became very difficult to claim that it was the same as it was for the Mac.
I used a Macintosh Plus with Microsoft Word and Excel from the time I was in fourth grade until I graduated from high school (1988-1996). I used Word for every paper and I used Excel to keep track of money owed by my paper route customers.

When I started college in 1996 with a new Windows PC with Office95, I felt right at home using Word and Excel. Of course there were updates and extra features added in the six or eight years since our Mac version was released, but the functionality was basically the same. So I don't really get what you mean.

And now that they have, how long do you think it will be until the architectural differences between Windows and Mac will become minimal?
Do you mean the hardware architecture? If so, :sozo: Who cares?

Seriously, what difference does it make if the internal hardware is identical? What makes Macs superior is 1) Their operating system 2) Their software 3) Their industrial design (and this is a distant third).

While that would be nice, most Windows users do not see Mac as a viable alternative.
That is because most Windows users aren't aware/familiar with Macs, so they don't even know they have an alternative to Windows. But hopefully that is changing, as Apple has recently launched a major marketing campaign for Macs.

It's great for video/graphic/audio production, but end-users are more dependent on the Windows platform, regardless of its inferiority.
It's great for everything that 90+% of home computer users ever do, wish they could do, or wish they didn't have to do on their Windows boxes. And if users are truly dependent on the Windows platform for an app or two, or their game library, they can run Windows on their Mac.

My point is that some of those features are not original in Mac either.
Which were original to Windows?

The Media Center edition does have these.
Nice of Microsoft to leave the rest of their customers out in the cold when they want to watch a movie or burn a disc.

Don't act like iLife has been in Mac since CD-ROM was invented. It's a very recent feature.
Really? The first edition of iLife was released at the beginning of 2003. That's three and a half years ago! In the tech world, I don't think that qualifies as "recent."

And that's just when the suite was compiled. Most of the individual apps had already been around for a year or three:

iPhoto 1.0 was released in January, 2002. The first iLife included Version 2. The current iLife contains version 6.

iMovie 1.0 and iDVD 1.0 were released way back in 2000 for OS 9. The first iLife included version 3 of both, and they are both up to version 6 now.

iTunes came out in early 2001 for OS9, a month before OS X was released. The first iLife included version 3, and they are both up to version 6 now.

Only GarageBand might qualify as a "recent" app, but only relative to the others or to the suite as a whole. It was first released in the beginning of 2004, and it's currently at version 3.

The fact that Windows had ceased major releases since 2001 doesn't mean Microsoft won't be keeping up with advances in technology.

And don't go claiming that Apple was the first to keep up with technology because they decided to bundle this kind of software into its system. While it's nice, i'd call it optional. As optional, it shouldn't be installed on a (my) computer by default.
Yeah, I hate it when my new computers come with useful best-in-class software applications that work seamlessly with one another. :madmad:

iLife is not some worthless pile of "bundled" software; it's one of the major reasons people buy Macs in the first place. Sure, Apple could advertise their systems for $50-$80 less by not including iLife, but then some users might foolishly forgo using iLife in order to save a few bucks.

Unlike the Dells of the world, they don't use "get-you-in-the-door" pricing tactics, advertising stripped down machines that require several hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades to make them useful. Baseline Apple machines are well-equipped with both hardware and software.

I never understood what the big deal was about MS including a browser with their OS. But if some wacky mac user wants to uninstall iLife, it's as easy as dragging a few icons into the garbage can.

With Linux, i can install just the core system: kernel, shell script, and install utility. With just those three things, i can build my system exactly how i want it, without any unnecessary/optional things, including even hardware drivers (i.e. if i don't want USB support, i don't install that). All i need is a keyboard, monitor, and some method of providing an install source (network, CD/DVD, floppy, hard drive). And yes, it is possible to go on the net without having a GUI...somthing neither Mac nor Windows can do.
Nor would their users want to. If that floats your boat, enjoy! But you do realize that only a tiny segment of computer users like to build their own systems and use minimalist GUI-free OSes with little to no software, right?

Windows: "user friendly" (which means "a 5 year old can do it")
Good point! 5-year-olds are good at catching and spreading viruses. :)

POTD :first:

Classic smack!!

context

Status
Not open for further replies.