Nori's POTD 1/29/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great post, Nana! For context, click here.

Big Mouth Nana said:
LOL!!!!! Yes, but a darn good actor!!! So good infact, that it didn't come out that he was a queer for many years. Linda Evans was so concerned after she found out from kissing him in a movie that she would get Aids.
My idea of masculinity is someone like John Wayne in his movies. He was tough when he needed to be tough, but romantic and gentle when he needed to be. My hubby and I said that masculinity died when he did.
The "old" adage that the man is the head of the household has died. I can almost pin point when it started dying was in the early 70's....the free love movement. That was my era. It was about drugs, wearing beads, and the song, YMCA with the Village People. Now just this verse alone from that song always bothered me:

no man does it all by himself.
I said, young man, put your pride on the shelf,
and just go there, to the y.m.c.a.
I'm sure they can help you today.

it's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
it's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

they have everything for you men to enjoy,
you can hang out with all the boys....I don't know about how men feel about this, but in my generation, we women liked to be around a man.

It seems with every generation, masculinity gets farther and farther away.
The womens rights movement I believe put a big dent into the mans role in the family...."burn your bra" movement. It has steadly gone downhill ever since. Now we are into men wearing earrings, necklaces, and women into tight fitting levi's wearing mens boxer shorts in the summer...at least here in California they do. There has been a role reversal that has taken place. How many women in the 60's and 70's wanted to go into the military???

Status
Not open for further replies.