Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Elana Marie
Originally posted by Tinark
Thank you

Yes, I'm attempting to put a different perspective on abortion. It is a much more complex issue than most people seem to admit. Rather than being black/white, I'm trying trying to show how grey the issue is.

May I make a suggestion? Before one attempts to discuss this issue, one is well advised to take the following steps:

1. Define "human being" and make sure that the definition holds across the spectrum.

2. Determine the circumstances under which taking the life of a human being is acceptable, and make sure that the circumstances hold across the spectrum.

Would you consider someone who choose to disconnect themselves responsible for murdering another person, and thus criminally accountable (perhaps worthy of the death penalty?)

Yes, I think I would. I would also hold the doctors accountable for their criminal activity.

This is true, the above scenario is only analogous to cases of rape, but it would still be considered significant if it is reasoned that an abortion is morally permissible in such cases.

I don't think it is morally permissible in the event of rape.

Also, let me add a little twist for thought. Let's say that you find out for some reason every time you go to see a movie, there is going to be one person picked from the theater that is going to be connected to a person whose kidneys have failed in a similar manner. You don't like this idea, but you really want to see a good movie that just came out. You realize your best odds of not getting picked would be in a theather that holds a larger number of people. You take steps to locate a very large theather, and decide to take the risk and see the movie. At the end, a person is drawn, and uh-oh, that person is you.

Solution: get the DVD, the scenario's equivalent of waiting until marriage.

The risk is known and the potential consequences accepted by the act of purchasing a ticket and walking through the door. So no, that doesn't change anything.
Great post, Elana Marie! :first: I especially like the part about waiting for the DVD/marriage.

CONTEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.