Where has Noah’s deluge water gone?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is the spirit of this thread in a nutshell:

I come up with a bunch of arbitrary mathematical equations that no one can really respond to so as to make me look intelligent and my argument superior. Likewise I use the epic of Gilgamesh to substantiate my false presupposition that the flood story in the Genesis narrative is plagiarized. I'm not really going to respond to anyone directly, just keep making long-winded condescending post after long-winded condescending post to make it seem I actually no what I'm talking about. I have no real interest in having a rational discussion, I'm just using this topic as a device to mask the fact that I believe Christians are idiots, the Bible is a joke, and that I hate God. I only make it look like I want a rational discussion by using obscure data because I am so condescending to the point that I think people won't see through this ploy. However, I have failed to realized that by my logic that everything would be considered plagiarism because the basic concept came from somewhere else and was molded to fit the culture ( process known as syncretism); even though that happens with everything else. Regardless of this fact, I use the pejorative term "plagiarism" because I despise the Bible and think everyone should think like me because I am so super smart.

Zed Bee, get over yourself.

SPOTD! :first:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where has Noah’s deluge water gone?

Reply to Thread

Well...

1 When the rains stopped and the waters were quiet, evaporation was going into effect. And and after a certain amount of time and the waters receded, Noah and wife (Remember, Noah found Grace) and his sons and their wives were able to disembark from the good ship SS Ark.
2 Since that time the waters from the great deluge, the flood of all floods, has been making appearances throughout the years being recycled in gentle rains, more floods in a minor scale, ocean water spouts, heavy rains with tornadoes, tropical storms and hurricanes.
3 That's where the water has gone, returns, is recycled and will be like that until the Lord sees fit. Thomas the Psalmist 6:1-3

The next question should be what happened to all the flood victims, the human and animal cadavers that were not on the Ark, did they just disappear?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
... For those that are intelligent, well educated and strongly devoted to religion (like you), it seems they are simply unwilling or unable to apply the same critical thinking and reasoning to their own religious ideas that they would to, say, their neighbor telling them that they poses supernatural powers of flight and telekinesis.
Another problem with this observation is that it fails to encompass the experiential nature of faith. Take Paul, by way of...he didn't come to Christ because he read a tome or heard a second hand account. And many who have subsequently entered the ranks of the faithful have been similarly moved or, subsequent to witness experienced the reality of God.

Letsargue

I have done the maths to save you time, but if you wish to do it yourself then here are the basic facts for you to work out the volume of the biblical deluge water. Yes I know the biblical story was plagiarised from Tablet XI of the Babylonian translation of the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamish, which the Hebrew scribe exaggerated beyond madness, but there is no harm in doing a bit of maths for fun:

Earth’s mean diameter: 12,742 kms
Earth’s surface area: 510,064,472 square kms
Land mass area: 148,939,063 square kms
Land mean height: 840 metres.
Height of Mount Everest: 8,848 metres
Height of Mount Ararat: 5,160 metres.
Height of my bungalow: 7.5 metres
Height of land with all mountains squashed flat: 840 metres
Rainwater density: 1000 kg per cubic metre
Air density (at STP): 1.248 kg per cubic metre
Saturation point of air (at 100% RH): 4.84 grams of water vapour per cubic metre of dry air

If,, according to the Old Testament, “all the mountains were covered”:
Volume of water to cover Mount Everest: 4,394,212,229 cubic kilometres
(3.2 times more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 1,131,782,406,930,000,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 1,414 tons per square inch

Or if only Mount Ararat was covered:
Volume of water to cover Mount Ararat: 2,634,064,905 cubic kilometres
(1.8 times more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 646,211,707,572,000,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 807 tons per square inch

Or if the deluge water only covered the top of my bungalow:
Volume of water to cover my bungalow: 432,337,146 cubic kilometres
(22.4% more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 79,130,338,904,856,400,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 98.9 tons per square inch

Or if the deluge water covered a dry land with all the mountains squashed flat:
Volume of water to cover a billiard ball Earth: 428,510,649 cubic kilometres
(22.1% more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 78,144,778,781,276,400,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 97.3 tons per square inch

Please answer these simple questions, and no miracles please, because that would be childish:

1) Where has Noah’s deluge water gone?
2) How did Noah, and the rest of the animal kingdom, manage to stand an atmospheric pressure of: 1,414 or 807 or 98.9 or even 97.3 tons on every square inch of their bodies. For your information it is now merely 0.00656 tons per square inch, or, if you prefer, 14.7 pounds per square inch in Imperial Units. Oy Veigh

Your math has nothing to do with the waters of Noah!!

The waters of Noah, was a one time creation for the moment. – The waters were not created in the beginning, but was ordained to be there when God needed it. – After the need was fulfilled, the waters just ceased to exist again. They were, and then they were not!!

Paul – 030912

some other dude

original.jpg

Dr.Watson

Another problem with this observation is that it fails to encompass the experiential nature of faith. Take Paul, by way of...he didn't come to Christ because he read a tome or heard a second hand account. And many who have subsequently entered the ranks of the faithful have been similarly moved or, subsequent to witness experienced the reality of God.

It's interesting that you use the term "reality" in reflection of "God" (to refer to a very specific deity, no less). You and I are either in disagreement of what the word "reality", and therefore, "knowledge", means, or you are grossly misapplying its use.

As for Paul; you have nothing to suggest why, exactly, Paul converted to Christianity but a small collection of his epistles. And this is about as convincing as someone telling me that I should convert to a particular religious faith because they know someone (who knows someone) who converted because he knew someone who apparently experienced "God" first-hand and, he really really believe that he's right because he wrote a letter about it. Enthusiastically heaping more and more examples of credulity onto the matter doesn't help absolve you and the others from the problem that you can't or won't apply any critical or skeptical thinking to your "faith".

Last edited:

Letsargue

The water went into a series of great big holes in the Earth.

If you're right, there would be "Old Faithfuls" everywhere, and we could not get out from under the Hot Springs of downpouring of SHOWERS

COME ON!! – That much water could not have gone BACK into something that there was not enough room for it to start with. There could not be a going back into the earth.

The water, or the EXTRA WATER was never there until God needed it. God needed it, and the waters were there and did what God wanted the waters to do. After they did what God wanted them to do, the waters were again, NO MORE. - The waters went to where they were to start with, never was there until God needed them, and when God didn’t need them any longer, they were not there. There is no problem with the waters IF YOU WERE THERE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE WATERS!!

Paul – 052812

oatmeal

I have done the maths to save you time, but if you wish to do it yourself then here are the basic facts for you to work out the volume of the biblical deluge water. Yes I know the biblical story was plagiarised from Tablet XI of the Babylonian translation of the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamish, which the Hebrew scribe exaggerated beyond madness, but there is no harm in doing a bit of maths for fun:

Earth’s mean diameter: 12,742 kms
Earth’s surface area: 510,064,472 square kms
Land mass area: 148,939,063 square kms
Land mean height: 840 metres.
Height of Mount Everest: 8,848 metres
Height of Mount Ararat: 5,160 metres.
Height of my bungalow: 7.5 metres
Height of land with all mountains squashed flat: 840 metres
Rainwater density: 1000 kg per cubic metre
Air density (at STP): 1.248 kg per cubic metre
Saturation point of air (at 100% RH): 4.84 grams of water vapour per cubic metre of dry air

If,, according to the Old Testament, “all the mountains were covered”:
Volume of water to cover Mount Everest: 4,394,212,229 cubic kilometres
(3.2 times more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 1,131,782,406,930,000,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 1,414 tons per square inch

Or if only Mount Ararat was covered:
Volume of water to cover Mount Ararat: 2,634,064,905 cubic kilometres
(1.8 times more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 646,211,707,572,000,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 807 tons per square inch

Or if the deluge water only covered the top of my bungalow:
Volume of water to cover my bungalow: 432,337,146 cubic kilometres
(22.4% more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 79,130,338,904,856,400,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 98.9 tons per square inch

Or if the deluge water covered a dry land with all the mountains squashed flat:
Volume of water to cover a billiard ball Earth: 428,510,649 cubic kilometres
(22.1% more water than there is in all the oceans of the world)
Mass of air supporting Noah’s rain-cloud: 78,144,778,781,276,400,000 tons
Atmospheric pressure in Noah’s time: 97.3 tons per square inch

Please answer these simple questions, and no miracles please, because that would be childish:

1) Where has Noah’s deluge water gone?
2) How did Noah, and the rest of the animal kingdom, manage to stand an atmospheric pressure of: 1,414 or 807 or 98.9 or even 97.3 tons on every square inch of their bodies. For your information it is now merely 0.00656 tons per square inch, or, if you prefer, 14.7 pounds per square inch in Imperial Units. Oy Veigh

The water went back where it came from

oatmeal

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The pacific already existed. It got deeper, but the Atlantic likely didn't exist. We can ask later. And he might say I wiped it out for a reason and don't want to go back there.

The Berean

Here is the spirit of this thread in a nutshell:

I come up with a bunch of arbitrary mathematical equations that no one can really respond to so as to make me look intelligent and my argument superior. Likewise I use the epic of Gilgamesh to substantiate my false presupposition that the flood story in the Genesis narrative is plagiarized. I'm not really going to respond to anyone directly, just keep making long-winded condescending post after long-winded condescending post to make it seem I actually know what I'm talking about. I have no real interest in having a rational discussion, I'm just using this topic as a device to mask the fact that I believe Christians are idiots, the Bible is a joke, and that I hate God. I only make it look like I want a rational discussion by using obscure data because I am so condescending to the point that I think people won't see through this ploy. However, I have failed to realized that by my logic that everything would be considered plagiarism because the basic concept came from somewhere else and was molded to fit the culture ( process known as syncretism); even though that happens with everything else. Regardless of this fact, I use the pejorative term "plagiarism" because I despise the Bible and think everyone should think like me because I am so super smart.

Zed Bee, get over yourself.
Oh man how did I miss this?! :up: