What is an Intel Chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than its ever done before.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is an Intel Chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than its ever done before.

Today... apple announced the release of....

Apple has released the fastest notebook ever, dubbed the MacBook Pro, featuring an Intel Core Duo processor. Features of the new portable include a built-in iSight camera, IR Sensor, Apple Remote, ATI Radeon x1600 video processor, and a new, innovative magnetic power plug. The new MacBook Pro is available in two configurations:

1.67 Core Duo - $1999
Ships: February
15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
iLife 06

1.83 Core Duo - $2499
Ships: February
15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
iLife 06

MacBook Pro also features a full-size backlit keyboard, AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, ExpressCard/34 slot, dual-link DVI video out, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, and optical digital and analog audio in/out.
Apple Releases the MacBook Pro

Apple Releases Intel iMac

Apple announced their first Intel Macs today. The new Apple iMac which was recently updated has now been revised to use the Intel Processor.

The new Intel Apple iMac shares the same specs as the unit it replaces, but now houses an Intel Core Duo processor. According to Apple, the new iMac is 2x faster than the iMac it replaces.

- Up to 2.0GHz intel Core Duo
- Mighty Mouse
- 17" and 20"
- ATI Radeon X1600
- iSight Built in
- Front Row and Apple Remote

Apple Releases iWork '06

Steve Jobs released the newest version of the iWork suite, which includes updated versions of both Pages & Keynote. iWork 06 is available immediately for $79, with a family pack price for up to 5 users of only $99.

New in Both Pages 2 and Keynote 3
- Perform basic spreadsheet-like calculations and formatting in tables.
- Display your data in beautiful three-dimensional charts with life-like textures.
- Add stars, polygons or draw freeform custom shapes with Bézier curves in any document or presentation.
- Mask photos and images with any shape.
- Adjust photos just like you’d adjust them in iPhoto.
- Add comment “stickies” to any document or presentation to capture to-do’s or reminders.

Pages 2
- Start with any one of 66 templates, including 27 new designs.
- Import documents created with AppleWorks or Microsoft Word — from both PC and Mac.
- Export as a cross-platform PDF, Word, HTML, RTF or text-only file.
- Build form letters with drag-and-drop simplicity using your Address Book.

Keynote 3
- Choose from 32 themes, including new HD themes up to 1920x1080 pixels.
- Add gorgeous cinematic transitions, animations, slide builds and more.
- Import presentations created with AppleWorks or Microsoft PowerPoint on from both PC and Mac.
- Export your presentation to PowerPoint, or to iDVD or iPhoto.
- See all your slides at a glance in Light table view and easily reorganize them.
Apple Releases iLife '06 with iWeb

Steve Jobs released the newest version of the iLife suite, which now includes 6 applications. iLife 06 is available today from the online apple store for $79. Additionally, a family pack is available for up to 5 users for $99.

iLife 06 will be included with the purchase of all new Macs.

iPhoto
One click effects - sepia, b&w,
New cards, calendars & books
hard and softcover books
better quality
Photocasting - podcasting for photos
integrates with .Mac
password protected, subscribable with RSS feeds

iMovie HD
Animated themes for movies
real time effects
new audio tools
more than one project open at once
export to iPod
create Video Podcasts

iDVD
Widescreen menus
Magic iDVD
choose theme, drop in movies & photos & select theme
3rd party burner support

Garageband
New Podcast studio
Podcast artwork track
Over 200 free jingles & effects
Speech enhancer
Use iChat for remote interviews
New Jampack - World Music

iTunes
no mentioned changes from current version (6.0.1)

iWeb (New)
Apple web templates
iLife media browser
Online AJAX photo slideshows
One-click publish to .Mac
Podcast publishing

MORE INFO....

Lucky

Hall of Fame
$2000? $2500??? Am I buying a computer or a car? Geesh.

VP: We should use Intel.
Steve Jobs: Why?
VP: Much cheaper.
SJ: We frown on selling affordable stuff.
VP: That's the beauty of it, we won't.
SJ: Go on...
VP: We don't pass the savings on to the customer.
SJ: I like what I'm hearing.
VP: In fact, we could even up the price...
SJ: Let's do it!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lucky said:
$2000? $2500??? Am I buying a computer or a car? Geesh.
No, you're buying a top of the line model. (What other notebook computer comes with a built-in webcam?)

iBooks start at $1000.

Just Tom

I get mac addict and they have done some comparisons of the new G5 with two, dual 2.5 intel chips they call it a quad. They did it to the G5 dual 2.7 which I have.

Speed. In general, everything about the Quad feels noticeably faster than

the dual2.7GHz Power Mac G5-Finder windows are snappier, apps with notoriously long startup times (such as Adobe's Photoshop) launch faster, and documents open more quickly. It may seem trivial to point that out, but we're pointing it out for a reason: When testing other recent top-of-the-line Power Macs, we didn't notice these subtle speed improvements.

We first ran a series of tests using popular apps on both the Quad and a dual2.7GHz Power Mac G5 with the stock 512MB RAM configuration. (We ran all of our tests with the processor performance set to Highest in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options.) We saw an Il-percent speed increase

on the Quad when performing a complex Photoshop Cs2 Action on a 100MB file and a 25-percent increase when exporting video in iMovie HD. The Quad was Il-percent faster when running Unreal Tournament 2004's flyby and botmatch tests. When creating a DVD image in iDVD and importing Alex Wise's Front Porch music CD in iTunes, both Power Macs clocked similar times~ the superDrive isthe performance bottleneck.

However, if you use apps that can take advantage of a load 0' RAM, you'll see bigger improvements. For example, Adobe Photoshop's performance increased dramatically-by 40 percent- when we boosted the Quad's RAM from 512MB to 1GB. When we went from 512MB to 4GB, we saw an 80-percent increase. "Wow!" is an understatement.

Like previous top-of-the-line Power Macs, the Quad is liquid cooled. We noticed fan noise during processor- intensive tasks, but it's not as apparent as it is with the dual2.7GHz Power Mac G5. The Quad makes the most noise when you insert a disc into its superDrive-it reminded us of a plane taking off.

The bottom line. With its $3,299

price tag, the Quad isn't for everyone, and adding RAM (you'd be crazy not to) pushes the price up further. The Quad is ideal for pros who process large files on a regular basis-video, audio, images, 3D art and animation, and so on. There's a whole lotta power under this baby's hood.-Roman Loyola

I got to work an awful lot to get that baby..

I figure my dual 2.7 will be good enough for a few years. I still have 6 more gig of ram I can add which will make it scream even more..

You all should get a cover for your keyboard so you don't short them out with all the drooling.

paulpeterson83

BANNED
Banned
This is very cool. Its nice to finally see the technologies starting to cross over. They need to. With China making a power play in the tech industry with the Godson 2, its going to a hard fought battle.