toldailytopic: Your living will. Pull the plug or remain sustained? How would you wan

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are aware that there are a lot of people walking around just fine, that have been on a respirator for a short time? Machines can be a good thing to use while your body has a chance to heal.
I was on the vent for 4 days, it took about a week to recover from that, there were no after or side effects.

Mrs Psalmist was on the vent for 11 days, her recovery time as I recall was 3-4 weeks with home rehab. the after and side effects were minimal, and has done fairly well since.

Some states require that after a certain number of days on the vent that the patient be put on a tracheotomy vent tube, due the fact the lung tube will begin to draw bacteria that can cause more problems for breathing, and the Dr's do not like to intubate to the other lung as it may create further complications.

bybee

You are aware that there are a lot of people walking around just fine, that have been on a respirator for a short time? Machines can be a good thing to use while your body has a chance to heal.

Yes! My mother went into respiratory arrest was rushed to hospital and put on ventilator. She had several years of her usual life after that for which she was grateful.

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have no problem with pulling the "plug"! I have a major problem with pulling the feeding tube!
It's OK to let a dying person die. It's not OK to kill them.

I agree with this. If a person needs a feeding tube to survive, put in a feeding tube. I don't believe the bunk they say about how starving to death brings a euphoric feeling. Try it on yourself before you do it to someone else.

IMJerusha

This is a really hard subject for me. I haven't read all of the responses here so if I'm repeating something someone else has posted along these lines, please forgive me. I already posted one response but as I have let some time go by, I did think about a few things that people may not know about and I thought it might be important to include them here. This primarily concerns folks who know they are dying from some sort of terminal disease or who are elderly. There are a couple of things I know of that circumvent some aspects of a Living Will or even a Trust; healthcare powers of attorney and HIPAA forms. I learned the hard way that these two things can put a real wrench into your last wishes and even give a person legal right to put you down like an animal regardless of how you want to go out. Never give your healthcare decision making over to just one person or even to two people who are closely connected, at least in terms of monetary benefit. Make sure that you provide, via attorney, specific instructions, right down to the type of pain relieving medications you want used, to every person involved in your healthcare POA as well as to close family members. Understand the healthcare system. HIPAA forms are a good thing. They protect your privacy. They can also be used against you because they work hand in hand with your healthcare power of attorney. HIPAA forms must be renewed every year so if there is only one party holding your healthcare power of attorney but you want several different people to have access to your medical situation, that will only hold until renewal time. The person holding your healthcare POA controls who is listed on the renewed HIPAA so it can not be used as a means for all your close family members to monitor the healthcare decisions of those who hold your healthcare POA. Become familiar with the Elder Care laws and provisions within your state. Provide that information to all close family members. Hospice care serves a necessary purpose but don't think for a moment that they won't turn their heads and look the other way when they see family members bending the law to suit their purposes because they will.

I know this doesn't exactly address your OP, Knight, but I really felt it important. I hope it's okay.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I feel like others. Give the machines a chance. If it doesn't work after a reasonable period of time, pull the plug.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm referring to an instance wherein there is no sign, or reason, that I will recover.

I've told my wife, if something should happen where she needs to make a decision like that, pray about it first and do what the Lord leads her to do. She likewise trusts me to do the same. We've decided to be buried together in Indiana, instead of Illinois or Missouri were we've lived before and have family there. We've grown quite fond of Indiana and it's not like we will be terribly missed by family members.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The best thing you can do for your loved ones is have a directive in place so they don't have to agonize over what you'd want them to do if you're unable to tell them.
I think that is good advice!
:up:

It takes the burden off anyone else, so that no one will have regret or guilt that they might have to live with.