toldailytopic: Why did God create pests such as flies, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 28th, 2012 01:19 PM

toldailytopic: Why did God create pests such as flies, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Supremum

He created the spiders to catch the flies, obviously, and created the cat to catch the spider. And created the dog to catch the cat. I think that's in Genesis.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (Genesis 3:17-19)

So that the earth wouldn't be so comfortable that we'd have an excuse to not rely on Him. Or, put another way, to keep us busy and help keep us out of trouble.

Largely, I'd bet, why hell will work the way it is intended to. To keep the damned from running roughshod over the universe.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because he created an ecosystem. System being the key word. It doesn't happen by accident any more than the parts to a 777 all just fall together if given enough time.

Everything has to eat.

Doormat

Because he created an ecosystem. System being the key word. It doesn't happen by accident any more than the parts to a 777 all just fall together if given enough time.

Everything has to eat.

I agree, brother. :up:

Just using the fly as an example, unless God created the first cow with eternal life in flesh, maggots would have eventually been needed.

In the words of Josey Wales, "'Hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Same as maggots.

oatmeal

Did He?

What happened to the earth after Adam and Eve were ejected out of the garden?

Were things worse or better?

Matthew 4:8-10

If the devil was bluffing about having dominion/ownership of the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them, Jesus Christ would have surely called his bluff.

But Jesus Christ did not.

Therefore, the Devil does have control over the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them.

Hence, the destructive weather, volcanoes, all the death and evil we all hear about, maybe see on a daily basis.

How did the Devil get that? Adam and Eve had the dominion in the garden.

There sin was so great because it handed that dominion to God's enemy, the devil.

Hence, all the junk.

oatmeal

Charity

There's one question that is never allowed to enter some heads.

What if God didn't create Pests at all. How could you Keep God powerful an just allow a basic creation to create life, an seasons to bread more Life?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What if God didn't create [these creatures] at all.
Then you're talking about some other god rather than the true God:
Genesis 1
24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

PureX

The universe seems to function in such a way that whatever forms can exist, get their chance to exist sooner or later. The "Creator" apparently values variety, as well as complexity. Whether or not we think insects are pests is irrelevant to anyone but us.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure He did it just to spite ME. Because everything God has made is about me, and for me, and exists because of me.

:rotfl:

I had one of those days just recently.

Me: God, why me?! :baby:
God: Huh? What are you going on about?
Me: All these terrible things! It's so unfair! :cry:
God: Wasn't me. :idunno:
Me: ... oh.
God: So. Where've you been for the last couple of weeks?
Me: Uh...well...I had this stuff I had to...
God: Right. :plain:
Me: :eek: