toldailytopic: What is the American Dream? And is it still attainable?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, the American Dream so far as I know has generally centered around success through hard work, often represented by home ownership.

Although seriously, if that is the extent of our national dream, we really should've aimed higher.:nono:

Son of Jack

For many women, that was not their dream.

Even if that is the case, why is it necessary to equate staying home to care for children and keep the home as essentially slavery? Many women do feel called to stay home, and it is a noble calling, one I wish more would consider. I get irritated by people who belittle it, and in so doing, scorn the women who do it. I think the media's influence in this particular area has led many women who might have chosen to stay home to instead go to work, negatively impacting both the women and their children (at least in some cases).

highlife

Yep, and this back in 1994 with both parties spending like drunken sailors. Shoot, they still spend like drunken sailors.

He nailed it then as he nails it now. I sincerly believe he was our last shot at getting back to the American Dream. :rip: America

I have yet to see home prices go down in my area, I was looking at a piece of land with a well and spetic for 70 grand, still needs gas and power ran and more land cleared as well as a house built.

We will just rent until the FHA defaults and people cant get loans then buy something at its actual value. We are hoping prices will be modified via lack of lending rather than rampant poverty and no jobs. If nothing budges by 2018 then we will just pay the cash and at least have a piece of land in a desirable area then we can do what we want with it as building material prices fluctuate.

Where we are its almost as if we are watching news of things that are happening in another country or another planet, although homes are sitting on the market longer and longer as people still think they can get inflated prices.

The problem is even if prices tank, i am finding that people with paid off things that have actual value simply wont sell if they cant get big money. Things of true value are fading away in our nation from the over population and thoes that have it are not letting it go cheap. Its alot more difficult to find a lagitimatly good investment these days, if you have to pay out the rear just for a piece of land with some basic things done to it are you really ahead?

Last edited: