The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

RogerB

before I trot

Spare us your personal problems.

Your theology allegedly describes how to determine whether or not I'm going to heaven or burning in hell for eternity...

Key word there is "Your" (as in MINE, not yours). God gave you the free will to accept or reject Him. So you think that when you die, it's just GAME OVER? Let's say you give us Christians a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell (besides the fact that you'll be in good company)?

Hey, don't get exited. I didn't write your Bible. You religionists did! I merely quote it from time to time to show how doubleminded you are when it comes to accepting your deity the way he is actually portraye in your own religious writings.

Oh, look, another atheist purposefully avoiding the point.....:sleep:

As I said before, to carry on a conversation with someon like you, who alleges to believe in him...

So you admit that you just make these things up?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Spare us your personal problems.
But you claim to be able to provide answers to personal problems! Then when I offer to list my objections to your claims you degenerate to ad hominem insults.

Not very effective evangelism there, Roger.

Or perhaps you're only posting here to "bait the atheist" instead of trying to convert them. I wonder what your deity would have to say about that? :rolleyes:

Key word there is "Your" (as in MINE, not yours). God gave you the free will to accept or reject Him. So you think that when you die, it's just GAME OVER? Let's say you give us Christians a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell (besides the fact that you'll be in good company)?
That's merely another tired retread of Pascal's Wager, Roger. Let's put a different spin on your question...
  • "Let's say you give us Hindus a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell..."

"Let's say you give us Muslims a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell..."

"Let's say you give us Buddhists a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity never reaching Nirvana..."

"Let's say you give us Shintos a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell "

"Let's say you give us Animists a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell "

"Let's say you give us Mithrans a .01% chance of being right....what do you think about spending eternity in hell "

I've belabored a point to illustrate the flaw in Pascal's Wager - it presents a false dichotomy. It incorrectly reduces the choices to two - the speaker's religion and anything else. This is a logical flaw because it assumes that the speaker has proven his religion to be the only one worth considering. Something which you have not yet done...

So you admit that you just make these things up?
Not usually, after almost three years posting here I find few original points presented by the religionists, so I mostly recast arguments I've used before.

RogerB

That's merely another tired retread of Pascal's Wager, Roger. Let's put a different spin on your question...

I didn't ask you to assume that I have proven my religion to be the only one worth considering. I asked you to give me a .01% CHANCE of being right. I just want to know what you think about the POSSIBILITY of spending eternity in hell.

...tired retread of Pascal's Wager...

Just because you put two words in front of something doesn't invalidate it.

Something which you have not yet done...

Correct! Stop waiting. I'm the one who said you will never, ever get the proof you ask for ad nauseam.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I didn't ask you to assume that I have proven my religion to be the only one worth considering. I asked you to give me a .01% CHANCE of being right. I just want to know what you think about the POSSIBILITY of spending eternity in hell.
But why should I even consider it, since you have not yet proved the point worth considering.

Just because you put two words in front of something doesn't invalidate it.
True, the fact that you couldn't come up with a convincing argument to support it doesn't make it valid either. It stands invalidated due to its faulty logic quite well on its own.

Correct! Stop waiting. I'm the one who said you will never, ever get the proof you ask for ad nauseam.
If you cannot provide proof then why not move on to someone who will accept the codswallop you term "religion."

All you have to do is find someone who will believe in a deity who doesn't communicate with humans, whose followers believe in the literal veracity of copy of a collection of books that don't exist written in languages they cannot read, translated by men who make their living selling translations to the gullible.

Sounds like an easy sell to me... Good luck.

RogerB

You're still ftill flappin' in the breeze, Zak.

All you have to do is find someone who will believe....Sounds like an easy sell to me...

From the CIA Factbook on the U.S.:

Protestant 56%
Roman Catholic 28%
Jewish 2%
other 4%
none 10%

If it's a sales contest we're having, I WIN, YOU LOSE!!!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
That's because we atheists aren't selling anything, while the religionists are. ;)

When was the last time you heard an atheist preacher on a streetcorner or an atheist taking up a love offering in a multimillion dollar "ministry center"?

(BTW I'll PM you a response to your question later today or tomorrow.)

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Hello?!?! McFly?!?! Welcome to the i-streetcorner.
But I'm not "preaching truth". I make no claims to have achieved ultimate reality her.

I've never made any bones of the fact that I'm here for entertainment and debate.

And, unlike some folks here, I've never taken up a "love offering" for my maunderings... :)

(Not like anyone would pay me for such things! Hey, maybe they'll pay me to go away.... :))

Freak

Originally posted by Zakath
That's because we atheists aren't selling anything, while the religionists are. ;)

When was the last time you heard an atheist preacher on a streetcorner or an atheist taking up a love offering in a multimillion dollar "ministry center"?

(BTW I'll PM you a response to your question later today or tomorrow.)

When was the last time atheists cared about humans? Know any medical centers, women's shelters, homeless shelters, founded by atheists?

:D

Freak

And, unlike some folks here, I've never taken up a "love offering" for my maunderings... :)

You must understand, Zakath is a "Psychologist" who requires the suffering to pay him hefty prices to receive his "services" and his atheistic nonsense.

I help people and I don't require payment. Too bad he can't say the same! ;)

Aimiel

Here We Go Again...

Here We Go Again...

Originally posted by Zakath Hey, maybe they'll pay me to go away...
Now he sounds like the leader of Korea. Next, he'll probably start threatening to nuke us or to do a suicide-bombing, or maybe we'll just get another one of his 'hot-air' poison gas bombs, aren't we lucky? I'd prefer the suicide attack, personally.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Here We Go Again...

Re: Here We Go Again...

Originally posted by famousGandalf7
Now he sounds like the leader of Korea.
Nope, I don't speak Korean and I can't bear those odd little suits...;)

Next, he'll probably start threatening to nuke us or to do a suicide-bombing...
No threats, only promises. :)

... or maybe we'll just get another one of his 'hot-air' poison gas bombs, aren't we lucky?
A maundering sermonizer accusing little ole me of hot air gas bombing? What a laugh!

I'd prefer the suicide attack, personally.
Only if you promised to hug me real tight when I tripped the switch. ;)

But actually, you're not worth it...

Aimiel

Re: Re: Here We Go Again...

Originally posted by Zakath No threats, only promises.
I don't believe you. Prove it. If you can't prove it, then stop lying.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again...

Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again...

Originally posted by famousGandalf7
I don't believe you. Prove it. If you can't prove it, then stop lying.
Believe what? Prove what?

Gerald

Resident Fiend

A maundering sermonizer accusing little ole me of hot air gas bombing? What a laugh!
Hot air? Gas? Y'know, I had beans for dinner last night...
:D

Freak

Atheism only leads to this: Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

Sad.

yashcheritsiy

Originally posted by Freak
Atheism only leads to this: Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

Sad.

The requirement for being an atheist is a sharp tongue, not a sharp mind.

Yashcheritsiy