Saving Love and Marriage

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.khouse.org/enews/2003-09-16.html#3

"Marriage. A dream within a dream." In 2000, sociologists Linda Waite and Maggie Gallagher surprised the marriage-defying liberal community with their book The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier and Better Off Financially. Waite and Gallagher argue from a pile of studies and statistics that married people experience far greater emotional, physical, economic, and sexual benefits than those who are single, cohabiting or divorced. Overall, their children are healthier and their families are happier. From a completely secular outlook, these scientists argue that, except in extreme circumstances, most couples should stay married, both for their own benefit and for the benefit of society.

However, marriage has come under attack from many different avenues in recent decades, most recently with the push to legalize marriages between same sex partners. In 1996, the US Senate voted 85-14 in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which the House had passed overwhelmingly in July. The Act defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman and frees states from recognizing homosexual "marriages" performed in other states. Though the bill does not prohibit states from legalizing homosexual marriage, several senators fear that the judicial trend of legitimizing homosexual relationships will sooner or later put DOMA in jeopardy. "I am dubious that DOMA will survive even a few years. I am absolutely certain that it will not last a generation," remarked constitutional law instructor Michael P. Farris, president of Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, Va.

Not only do homosexuals want to change the definition of marriage, but radical feminists have been attacking the institution for decades. According to feminist author Vivian Gornick, "Being a housewife is an illegitimate profession ... the choice to serve and be protected and plan toward being a family-maker is a choice that shouldn't be. The heart of radical feminism is to change that." (The Daily Illini, April 25, 1981) Another radical feminist, Sheila Cronan said, "Since marriage constitutes slavery for women, it is clear that the women's movement must concentrate on attacking this institution. Freedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage."

Even without the damage caused by the homosexual and feminist agendas, it is no secret that the institution of marriage has suffered horribly this century. How many couples enter into the holy covenant before God and man with the quiet reassurance, "Well. If it doesn’t work out we can always get a divorce." According to the US Census Bureau, 2.3 million marriages and 1.1 million divorces took place in the United States in 1998 - 1 divorce for every 2 marriages.

This makes sense to me. I've watched over my lifetime as people tried to destroy marriage. I remember hearing, in my teenage years, feminists talking about how marriage was nothing but legalized slavery of women.

Personally, I think they're wrong. But, at the rate this country's going, marriage between a man and a woman may be a thing of the past within a generation or two.

drbrumley

Divorce is epidemic!!!!!!!!! There isn't a family here in the States that HAS NOT been affected some way by divorce.

And to think kids wont notice or they will get over it! :sozo2: That's all I seem to hear these days.