Right Wing Fanatic

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Welcome aboard. :e4e: I think you're going to find this an interesting place, but prepare yourself for anything. :D Part of the charm.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A Messianic Jew is a person of Jewish heritage that believes that Jesus is the Messiah. They do come in many flavors. I am Sola Scriptura and Trinitarian. I reject the Talmud as traditions of men. I like to call it the 'tall mud'. I learned that from a messianic Rabbi.

Paul quoted non-canon (unBiblical) once that I can think of. Being not of Abraham, I am only familiar with these things and do not know them deeply. Maybe you explain some things if you feel up to it in the forum.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At present, their behavior reflects that they do not know the Messiah. One has to have a true understanding of G-d to create moral laws. They are not a Christian nation. Many of the Jews there are Atheistic Jews. I would be reticent though to side with Muslim nations against Israel because of the role Israel has in prophecy.

Jews are starting to convert to Christianity there in large numbers. That happens where there is a spiritual vacuum.

I am doubtful about the truthfulness of the links you provided. They may be slanted. LGBT and abortion people do have a agenda when they make edits to wikipedia or when they make articles. They like to inflate their numbers.

At present Israel is being mashed on all sides. I don't think they will be blessed until they turn to G-d.

I sure as hell hope so. Pun intended.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul quoted non-canon (unBiblical) once that I can think of. Being not of Abraham, I am only familiar with these things and do not know them deeply. Maybe you explain some things if you feel up to it in the forum.

I am more familiar with the book of the Maccabees that I am the Tall Mud. I avoided the Talmud, though I do have quite a few of the books that are in it. Many of the books that are in the Catholic Apocrypha are also in the Talmud.

I could probably explain some of the Jewish traditions. I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents that believed in Jesus.

For a long time the Jewish heritage of my family was buried for fear of persecution. My father side of the family came from Germany.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am more familiar with the book of the Maccabees that I am the Tall Mud. I avoided the Talmud, though I do have quite a few of the books that are in it. Many of the books that are in the Catholic Apocrypha are also in the Talmud.

I could probably explain some of the Jewish traditions. I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents that believed in Jesus.

For a long time the Jewish heritage of my family was buried for fear of persecution. My father side of the family came from Germany.

And if you didn't notice, you aren't alone here in the Body of Christ. We have several of Abraham's seed. :)

Dena

Hello and welcome. I have just a few questions. I don't plan to debate, I am just interested

1. I was going to ask if you were raised in an Observant home but you said your parents raised you as a Christian so I guess I don't need to ask about it.

2. Is your mother Jewish?

3. Were each of your parents raised as Christians, Jews or another religion?

4. When you say you eat kosher food do you mean Biblical Kosher (no pork or shellfish) or the full deal with separate meat and dairy, etc?

5. Why do you refer to the Talmud as the Tall Mud?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. I was going to ask if you were raised in an Observant home but you said your parents raised you as a Christian so I guess I don't need to ask about it.
I didn't know I had Jewish blood until we started digging into family trees. I was always told a was some blend of German and Scottish with American Indian thrown in. It wasn't until later that I found out that the 'Indian' and the 'German' was actually Jew.

2. Is your mother Jewish?
Probably not. Her lineage is hard to trace. Technically I would not be Jewish since Jews tend to trace though the maternal line these days.

3. Were each of your parents raised as Christians, Jews or another religion?
My father was raised a Christian and my mothers family was a wild bunch. My mother converted to Christian when she went to church with my father.

4. When you say you eat kosher food do you mean Biblical Kosher (no pork or shellfish) or the full deal with separate meat and dairy, etc?
Biblical Kosher. I just find meats like pork and shell fish gross. They stink up the house. :vomit:

5. Why do you refer to the Talmud as the Tall Mud?
It's full of old wives tales and traditions of men. It not scripture. It is the sort of thing Jesus warned us about.

Dena

I didn't know I had Jewish blood until we started digging into family trees...Probably not. Her lineage is hard to trace. Technically I would not be Jewish since Jews tend to trace though the maternal line these days.

Okay. That answers my question. No, you wouldn't be considered Jewish. May I ask how you figured out the family was Jewish? Genealogical records stump me once I trace them back to Italy and Germany. My mom hasn't really been able to get much after that point either. That's kinda off topic but I'll ask anyway.

Biblical Kosher. I just find meats like pork and shell fish gross. They stink up the house.

I don't like the smell of shellfish either. I find meat in general to be gross but I can still handle chicken for the most part. But I only cook meat 2-4 times per month. Unless you count eggs.

It's full of old wives tales and traditions of men. It not scripture. It is the sort of thing Jesus warned us about.

What is wrong with tradition?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let try this again. My first try didn't work.

I am a sola scriptura messianic. I am also very conservative in my social views. I think America is drinking out of toilet at present with this gay rights and abortion stuff.

Hey there IK...welcome to TOL. I hope that you enjoy your stay. :cheers:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay. That answers my question. No, you wouldn't be considered Jewish. May I ask how you figured out the family was Jewish? Genealogical records stump me once I trace them back to Italy and Germany. My mom hasn't really been able to get much after that point either. That's kinda off topic but I'll ask anyway.

It would be a little too long and involved for me to type here. Online research into family trees revealed that were not Indian or German. I remember photos of my great grandfather with a kippah. I didn't know what a kippah was when I was a kid.

My mother family line is dead ends, so I will never know where they came from.

I don't like the smell of shellfish either. I find meat in general to be gross but I can still handle chicken for the most part. But I only cook meat 2-4 times per month. Unless you count eggs.

What is wrong with tradition?

Tradition in itself is not bad--it when someone tries to make it binding that it becomes bad. When people use tradition to penalize others who do not follow it it becomes bad.

There is a big difference between tradition and scriptural truth. The Bible is truth. The Talmud is tradition. There may be grains of truth in it, but it is largely tradition.

Dena

Tradition in itself is not bad--it when someone tries to make it binding that it becomes bad.

There you can get into the issue of what it means to be binding. There is binding because it's a mandate from God...or because it's the tradition of the people.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am going to choose to identify myself as Christian, because that is where my heart is.

So there is no more need to be asking me anymore of these questions.

I am Christian. Being a Christian--parentage doesn't really matter.

Dena

I am going to choose to identify myself as Christian, because that is where my heart is.

I think that is probably a wise choice.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for stopping by my thread. I like your sig. You have a collection of funny quotes there.

yeshuaslavejeff

Welcome to the boards! The gay rights thing doesn't bother me as much as judicial activism. As far as abortion, I simply find abortion on demand to be a deplorable form of contraception with few exceptions.

At any rate, I would be interested in some of your thoughts regarding the book of Hebrews and the New Testament significance of Leviticus. As a Christian I'm a strict literalist, perhaps more so then many of my fundamentalist and evangelical brethren.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Grace and peace,
Mark
as a literalist, (re see below also), look up "holy is always an adjective" | "holy is an adjective"
pertaining to "holy" in Scripture is ALWAYS an adjective....
be prepared for a surprise and, if you let it, the truth.

It looks like we will get along quite well. I am pretty literal too. Hebrews trumps Leviticus--Plain and simple. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. Lambs, bulls and goats are no longer needed.

I probably should set my religion to Christian since my theology is sola scriptura Christian. What race I am make no difference in the kingdom of God.
sorry to hear that. the Jews have rejected christendom for centuries because 'christian' doesn't mean Christ-like since 312a.d. and
because 'christian' churches do not know or teach Scripture honestly and faithfully
Jews(i.e.Richard Wurbrand, et al) who meet an honest Christlike believer can (and sometimes do) turn to Yhvh in Yahshua finally realizing the Truth about Him than 'christendom' grossly distorts...

So, do you believe any of the law must be followed for salvation, or do you believe we are saved by grace through faith and not by works?

From what I've known of Messianic Jews they generally believe they must follow the Law, with the exceptions of the sacrifices because Jesus was the final sacrifice.
see the reply below by a Messianic Jew. you don't know anything.

I am not tied to all the laws because we are under the new covenant of Jesus. I do eat kosher foods because it is my culture to do so, not because of any law. Anything that Jesus says, trumps the old law. I hold Jesus higher than the old Law because He is G-d in the flesh, the second person of the trinity

If the label going to cause this much trouble on this board I won't use it. All people that accept Jesus as their Savior, become children of the promise. They are grafted into the Olive Tree. Blood heritage doesn't amount to much if you do not have Jesus. Make sense?
there is no "old law" ... All that Yahshua says and does is obedient to Yhvh the Creator and the Giver of the Law that makes Perfect. So many people are deceived and throw out all of the law because they never learn from Him.
NOT ALL PEOPLE THAT ACCEPT JESUS BECOME CHILDREN OF THE PROMISE. if you are familiar with Scripture, you know that all of the children of the promise are immersed in the life of Yahshua and obey Him, while many who are outside of Him claim to "ACCEPT" Him but other than that have almost nothing to do with Him in Truth. they follow the great deception on earth and worship the image of the beast thinking they are worshipping the True Creator. (remember, they will kill the true believers and think they are doing Yhvh a good service, all-the-while that they "accept Jesus" they blatantly reject Him)

Baptism is act of obedience reflecting an inward condition--Repentance. I believe in baptism by immersion because that is how it was done in the scripture. I do not believe in infant baptism. An infant cannot choose to repent and obey G-d.

Baptism is a picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. It is a testimony of putting to death the old nature and putting on the nature of Christ. It doesn't mean we will be perfect. We have to put to death daily our old natures. Baptism is a demonstration of repentance and obedience.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW I have churches deny me membership because of my Jewishness, so this isn't new. I even had kids throw nasty stuff at me. I have swam up stream all of my life.
and yet, ....

Is it necessary?
.. is Yahshua the Master, or just a puppet ?
.. for disciples/students of/followers of Yahshua, that is not even a question.

Welcome, I belong to a Messianic Christian fellowship in Colorado. I am always having to explain or defend my beliefs in what the Bible says and what Yeshua says. Sorry you are being grilled with questions, left and right, so to speak.

One of our favorite sayings is now that we are free from the law of sin and death, we don't have to keep the Torah we "get" to keep the Torah.

We are free in Yeshua! Free and able to obey Him, as He asks us to.
... good,... i think. ..have to go look and see if He ever asked His disciples to obey Him. Did He ask them to obey Him ?

..sigh, oh well....

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
..sigh, oh well....

I became weary of getting picked at because my mother was not Jewish. I decided to take the target off my back by changing my identifier. The label Bible Believing Christian might be more accurate in most people's eyes. Many feel I have no right to the Jewish identifier since my mother is not Jewish.

My belief system has pretty much been the same all of my life. Labels don't change what I believe.

What I believe and how I identify:

There is only one true God
He is in three persons--
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
His Word is truth. You cannot redact it down.
The earth and the universe were created in 6 literal days.
Marriage is to be between a Man and a Woman.
Abortion is murder.
Homosexuality is an abomination.
I am a theonomist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Clearing up why I decided to leave Messianic Judaism.

What started the rolling snowball the ended it all was Dena's post asking if my mother was Jewish. Well she was a Cherokee Irish mutt. That some how made me unfit to be part of any Jewish sect. I actually look more Indian than Jew in some of my photos.

Now to the theology I see being posted on here by Messianics Jews. Here are some examples.

foot note - within a few days of JAPAN trying to hurt ISRAEL, ....... guess ....

most chrstns don't worship a living Yhvh nor Yahshua HaMesheach. - as Richard Wurmbrand pointed out vividly 50 and more years ago, most chrstns of worldly chrstndom worship the image of the beast, all over the world. thus is the enemy being birthed on earth, until fully done.

I looked for the post but can't find it. It was about false pens, how all the English translations of the bible except the Jewish one were false pens. I've seen this doctrine other places on the web. It was the nail in the coffin for me. I do not share these beliefs.

Jesus died for all on the cross. Not just the Jews. Elitism makes me sick.