Richard Holland: God, Time, and the Incarnation Pt 3

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi everyone,

Looks like the "Part 3" discussion really got some attention. In case anyone is interested, I'm going to address the topic of God and Time on my blog. Since I'm new here, the settings won't let me post my 'blog address. But if you go to Google and search for "befriending wisdom" you'll probably find it. It is a 'blog hosted at Word Press, and has my name in the domain.

I hope that my contribution is helpful!

Rich Holland (it is me on the radio with Bob!)
Hello, Rich.:wave2:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi everyone,

Looks like the "Part 3" discussion really got some attention. In case anyone is interested, I'm going to address the topic of God and Time on my blog. Since I'm new here, the settings won't let me post my 'blog address. But if you go to Google and search for "befriending wisdom" you'll probably find it. It is a 'blog hosted at Word Press, and has my name in the domain.

Woohoo!
So glad to have you aboard.
I have really been enjoying you and Bob's radio interview.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi everyone,

:up:

Is this the link?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you eliminate time from God, then God is static and not dynamic.

If you eliminate time from God, then there is no sequence of events in which God moved or communicated.
All communication and movement has no sequence, and nothing happens before or after anything else.

The glory Christ had with the Father would be always to God.
The suffering of Christ on the cross would be always to God.
The conception in the womb of Mary would be always to God.
And none of it happened before or after the other (ie. in a sequence).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If you eliminate time from God, then God is static and not dynamic.

If you eliminate time from God, then there is no sequence of events in which God moved or communicated.
All communication and movement has no sequence, and nothing happens before or after anything else.

The glory Christ had with the Father would be always to God.
The suffering of Christ on the cross would be always to God.
The conception in the womb of Mary would be always to God.
And none of it happened before or after the other (ie. in a sequence).
If there were no sequence then nothing would have happened at all.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Fearing a vulnerability, Nang asserts that God doesn't, but that she does, exist

Fearing a vulnerability, Nang asserts that God doesn't, but that she does, exist

The creation exists. There is no language in the bible that says God exists like His creation exists. The word exist or existence is not biblical, but philosophical.

God is. His name is "I Am."

No beginning. No end.

Nang, trying to avoid a vulnerability that you see in your Calvinism, you are resorting to making the most abundantly absurd claim. (This is common behavior, no?) To avoid the most obvious truth, that God did not create the fundamental aspects of His own being (such as His own existence, such as truth, such as love), you Nang skip any argument itself, and jump right over into your own reductio ad absurdum, by, astoundingly, trying to undermine the validity of the statement that God exists. There are probably dozens of translations, if we found them all, which translate Hebrews 11:6 as "He exists" (including James White's favorite, ESV), whereas the KJV and other versions state the same thing, as: "God is".

The creation exists. There is no language in the bible that says God exists like His creation exists. The word exist or existence is not biblical, but philosophical.

This is similar to the very sad claims that Sproul and White made in the immediate aftermath of the debate claiming that God the Son does not have two natures (divine and human). When his or her own vulnerability appears to a party in a disagreement, and in trying to avoid it they use an absurd (and/or tragic) tactic, then, often, it is worthwhile to investigate that apparent vulnerability.

Of course, God did not create Himself, nor any of the eternal aspects of His existence. Thus God did not create truth, righteousness, love, etc. And thus, if in fact time is an eternal aspect of God's existence, then virtually by definition God did not create time. So, if the eternal relationships within the Godhead between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, include sequence, that is, if they consistent of sequential interactions, then God did not create time, and, in that case, insisting that He did is tantamount to claiming that God created Truth, created Love, created Himself.

- Bob Enyart
http://theologythursday.com

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If there were no sequence then nothing would have happened at all.
Sure.
But to avoid the glaringly obvious, some have made up a doctrine that all things happen at once with God. The doctrine of timelessness, no sequence. No before or after, but all is now.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Nang, trying to avoid a vulnerability that you see in your Calvinism, you are resorting to making the most abundantly absurd claim. (This is common behavior, no?) To avoid the most obvious truth, that God did not create the fundamental aspects of His own being (such as His own existence, such as truth, such as love), you Nang skip any argument itself, and jump right over into your own reductio ad absurdum, by, astoundingly, trying to undermine the validity of the statement that God exists. There are probably dozens of translations, if we found them all, which translate Hebrews 11:6 as "He exists" (including James White's favorite, ESV), whereas the KJV and other versions state the same thing, as: "God is".

This is similar to the very sad claims that Sproul and White made in the immediate aftermath of the debate claiming that God the Son does not have two natures (divine and human). When his or her own vulnerability appears to a party in a disagreement, and in trying to avoid it they use an absurd (and/or tragic) tactic, then, often, it is worthwhile to investigate that apparent vulnerability.

Of course, God did not create Himself, nor any of the eternal aspects of His existence. Thus God did not create truth, righteousness, love, etc. And thus, if in fact time is an eternal aspect of God's existence, then virtually by definition God did not create time. So, if the eternal relationships within the Godhead between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, include sequence, that is, if they consistent of sequential interactions, then God did not create time, and, in that case, insisting that He did is tantamount to claiming that God created Truth, created Love, created Himself.

- Bob Enyart
http://theologythursday.com
:thumb:

S0ZO

Sure.
But to avoid the glaringly obvious, some have made up a doctrine that all things happen at once with God. The doctrine of timelessness, no sequence. No before or after, but all is now.

I'd like to see them explain how God takes into account and does not take into account our sins simultaneously. How do they explain that He knows about all our sins, and yet remembers our sins no more?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd like to see them explain how God takes into account and does not take into account our sins simultaneously. How do they explain that He knows about all our sins, and yet remembers our sins no more?
That, and much more will have to be considered in order to continue to hold such a view.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In Richard Holland's blog, he sets forth some implications that must be dealt with when holds to a 'timeless' God.

First he describes the meaning of 'timeless' (linked with immutability) from early church fathers.

from blog of Richard Holland said:
“Immutability” refers simply to the idea that God does not and cannot change. To say that God is immutable is to say that he is changeless. As I said in my last post on this topic, Thomas Aquinas was a figure in Christian theology who placed great emphasis on the connection between God’s changelessness and God’s timelessness. Thomas reasoned that because God is utterly and completely unchangeable, he does not experience any sequence or succession; and therefore God is timeless – his existence is simultaneously whole, with no temporal parts or sequence whatsoever.

He refers to this definition of 'immutability' as SI (strong immutability) to differentiate from this view and the view of most Christians.
The view of most Christians being ....
from blog of Richard Holland said:
Of course almost every Christian theologian would be willing to affirm that God is immutable. When it comes to working out the details of what exactly that means, however, there has been much disagreement. Christian theologians are virtually unanimous in their affirmation that God cannot change with respect to any of his essential properties or attributes – those things that make him God. But not everyone agrees with Thomas’s understanding of immutability, and a closer look at some implications of this view should help you see why. Just to make things easier, in the rest of the post I’m going to use the abbreviation “SI” in place of “strong immutability” to refer to the kind of immutability that Thomas Aquinas (and, to a certain extent, Augustine) described.

In my next post, I will start to list the numbered objections that arise due to this view of SI.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Point 1 from Richard Holland's blog.

1. If SI is true, Biblical accounts of God doing things in sequence (such as speaking, acting, or creating) cannot be true – instead, they must be interpreted as metaphorical figures of speech (at best) or mythical (at worst).

Take for example the creation narrative in Genesis—a straightforward reading of the text indicates that God’s creative activity was carried out in a particular order, with a sequence of events. But if God is “strongly immutable,” this straightforward reading must be literally false. Since SI forbids any sequence or succession in God, all of God’s creative activity occurs “at once” – with no temporal succession at all. Therefore, there cannot be any temporal ordering in God’s creative activity.

Another example … Any time the Bible indicates that God speaks, SI indicates that it is not actually God speaking. When reflecting on Matthew 17:5, Augustine concludes that it could not have been God speaking when the disciples heard the voice saying “This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased.” Augustine writes, “The syllables sounded and passed by, the second after the first … Hence it is clear and plain that the motion of a creature expressed it.” Augustine was simply coming to the conclusion logically required by his view of God’s relation to time: speaking requires things happening in a particular sequence; but if God is timeless and strongly immutable, God can’t do anything in sequence. Therefore, it must have been some creature – perhaps an angel – who said of Jesus “This is my son.” When the Bible tells us that God spoke, SI tells us that it was not really God speaking