New here

Quincy

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here and have some fun. Watch out for trouble, it's ugly and rears it's face fairly often. :plain:

John Mortimer

Anyway- maybe you can help me give my son some answers - he is interested in god - Jesus - asks me questions - I can't answer at all - so I feel helpless -
Ok - well, you've come to a good site for that kind of information. I will gladly give my answers to any such questions. I'm sure freelight will as well. I was going to say that you get the private messaging facility after a certain number of posts, (can't remember how many), but then again there is perhaps value in conducting the whole thing on a public thread like this; the reason being, you get different perspectives from different members.

I know he wants something to believe in -
It's interesting how that can often happen around 13 years of age. There is a teaching in the "Ascended Master" schools, which basically says there is a 12-year cycle within any given lifetime. Thus when you get to 12 years of age you are completing one circuit of the clock, so to speak. At 13 you are beginning a fresh cycle. It's like you have your own personal "New Year", (with its attendant resolutions :chuckle: ), every 12 years.

I note your interest in freelight's Hinduism thread - do you believe in reincarnation? I do.

and my beliefs - don't jive with him -
That's very often the way with teenagers and parents though, eh?

There is all the difference in the world between 13 & 18, but when I was 18, part of the reason for me embracing such a fundamentalist Christian mindset was a desire to take the question of God seriously. It was that seriousness about God that seemed to be lacking all around me. Like - for me - there just couldn't be any question that was of the slightest importance compared to the question of God.

I would like to get him some material that is easy for him to understand - that explains god and Jesus - I want to keep it simple for him - once he has some knowledge - he can do with it as he pleases - so John - or anyone for yhat matter - any ideas?!

I intuitively feel that the dynamic process of Q&A is much better than looking for written sources, at least in the first instance.

Having said that, one of the modern English, easy-to-read translations of the New Testament is a great introduction to who Jesus is. The "Good News" Bible was originally intended as a translation for teens and pre-teens. Whilst the New Testament is a generally accepted orthodox reference for Christianity, it also generates as many questions as answers. It's keeping asking questions that is the most important thing. Believing something is fine... but why do I believe it? There is always at least one answer to that searching question.

bucksplasher

Oh hi John!! I was actually thinking of you! I have been following freelights post on Hinduism and saw your post and thought you were so sincere in what you post!! I was raised Catholic - kind of - we went to church until I was about 12 - then we stopped going - we did Xmas midnight mass, and Easter - ect. That was about it - it never Jived with me -
Anyway- maybe you can help me give my son some answers - he is interested in god - Jesus - asks me questions - I can't answer at all - so I feel helpless - I know he wants something to believe in - and my beliefs - don't jive with him - I would like to get him some material that is easy for him to understand - that explains god and Jesus - I want to keep it simple for him - once he has some knowledge - he can do with it as he pleases - so John - or anyone for yhat matter - any ideas?!

If you'd like an "update" on the teaching of the Catholic Church (your son could understand) try the website Word on Fire. You might even find that you left a church you didn't understand.

If not go Hindu...seems to be as hard to believe as any. tWINs

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
You are 'conscious being'.........

You are 'conscious being'.........

New to this forum - looking forward to being a part of this group
And learning!

Greetings Jw,

Welcome to the forum,....it appears that 'learning' is what life is about.

Being attentive as awareness itself looking out in openness and clarity is key, for after all,...this is your true nature (before any thought, form or name). The acquisition of wisdom is that pure light reflecting back to itself, thru the mirror of experience, which always re-turns you back home to your Self, the 'I Am'...the 'real you' as the pure ocean of consciousness. You are that. Go to the heart-source.

Looking forward..... :surf:

pj