NBA Basketball Star Seeking Custody of Unborn Child

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
dirk.jpg

This is going to be a very interesting case to follow....

By Douglas V. Gibbs Wednesday, June 24, 2009
SOURCE

The role of the father, in this day and age, has been downgraded to sperm donor and child support check writer. A woman seeking abortion could care less about a father’s right as a parent when she desires to snuff out the life of the child in an abortionist’s laboratory of death, but suddenly finds the importance of the father unequaled when it comes time for support - otherwise, he is a dead-beat dad.

A father with a little bit of sense and decency loves and care for his children no different than does the mother, and of course the best scenario for a child is to be parented by a man and a woman, preferably both being the birth parents.

In the case of divorce, or single parenthood, more often than not the mother gets a more than fair shake in court, and the father is often relegated to “that guy that sees his kid occasionally, and writes child support checks.” Many of the men deserve that designation, and if they are truly dead-beat dads, or violent individuals, deserves to lose custody of their children. But many of these men are loving parents that want nothing more than to be the best father to their children that they can be.

Maverics star, Dirk Nowitzki, sees himself as a loving father, and one that can be a better parent than the mother of his child. As a result, Nowitzki filed court papers last week to seek sole custody of his unborn child.

The mother of the unborn baby is Crystal Taylor. She is currently an inmate in the Jefferson County Texas jail after being arrested last month for violating her probation and alleged theft. Nowitzki was not aware of Taylor’s shady past until after this arrest, and being informed by police of her history. Her lengthy police record includes multiple aliases and a previous relationship with former NFL quarterback Tony Banks.

The pregnancy was not known until after her arrest, and rather than have the child aborted, or raised by a mother that is obviously unfit to fulfill her duties as a mother of the child, Nowitski desires to gain custody of the child now, and after the child is born, to raise the child on his own.

Read the rest of the story here.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Dirk has that kind of a reputation in Dallas. He's kind of private in his life, and not much inclined to party. He was perhaps naive with this woman, but I have to commend him for his willingness to step up and do what is right by the child.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Reminds me of something that happened to me some years ago. My lying, cheating, thief ex-girlfriend emailed me about a week after I kicked her out of my apartment. Aside from the poorly written foul and offensive things she said, she closed it telling me she was pregnant with my child. I didn't really think she was, but on the off chance she was telling the truth for once in her life, did take this seriously. I told her I would be requiring proof that she was pregnant, followed by proof that it was mine and if that was the case I would fight her for custody. I did actually look into what it would take for me to obtain custody. I didn't get a chance to look in to it too deeply though. 2 days later she emailed me back saying she lost the baby. Most likely she was never pregnant to begin with and was faking pregnancy to either get back with me or just get money. There is the possibility that she was telling the truth and miscarried I seriously doubt it. And I wouldn't put it past her to get an abortion.

Last I heard about her she was in jail for drug possession, paraphernalia possession, and prostitution. Yeah, I can pick a real winner. She seemed so sweet when we first got together.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Reminds me of something that happened to me some years ago. My lying, cheating, thief ex-girlfriend emailed me about a week after I kicked her out of my apartment. Aside from the poorly written foul and offensive things she said, she closed it telling me she was pregnant with my child. I didn't really think she was, but on the off chance she was telling the truth for once in her life, did take this seriously. I told her I would be requiring proof that she was pregnant, followed by proof that it was mine and if that was the case I would fight her for custody. I did actually look into what it would take for me to obtain custody. I didn't get a chance to look in to it too deeply though. 2 days later she emailed me back saying she lost the baby. Most likely she was never pregnant to begin with and was faking pregnancy to either get back with me or just get money. There is the possibility that she was telling the truth and miscarried I seriously doubt it. And I wouldn't put it past her to get an abortion.

Last I heard about her she was in jail for drug possession, paraphernalia possession, and prostitution. Yeah, I can pick a real winner. She seemed so sweet when we first got together.
At least she was a she.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I hope the case goes the right way; fathers should have a say in the baby’s future, especially if he is the husband. Even not, if he is willing to take full custody and solely support the child, I think asking a woman to carry it to term is just plain the right and correct moral thing to do.

Imagine

I didn't read the rest of the story (just what was posted here) but I hope and pray that the court will give him the rights to his child (if he proves to be able to handle the responsibility). I have always felt that a father should have just as much right as the mother as long as they are "fit to be a parent". I know a guy who tried to get custody of his unborn child and was denied because the court said it was the mothers decision as to what would happen while the child was in her body. The mother then got the abortion. I felt so bad for him.

BarefootTalmid

The NBA is certainly full of some morally reprobate losers, but I find myself casting the first stone very often when it comes to sports stars in general and their inability to maintain a respectable private life.

Good on Dirk for being a stand-up guy... even in such a bad situation (and proving me wrong/rebuking my pride in the process). I can only imagine the level of sexual temptation that these guys deal with on a daily basis with beautiful women literally throwing themselves at them nonstop. Even world-famous pastors have fallen under less.

C

cattyfan

Credit to him for actually wanting to be a father. Too many guys are content these days to be just the weekend buyer-of-bribes.

I hope the court gives him custody...and strips the lying con woman of her parental rights. Otherwise, the woman will continue to use the child as her meal ticket.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Maverics star, Dirk Nowitzki, sees himself as a loving father, and one that can be a better parent than the mother of his child. As a result, Nowitzki filed court papers last week to seek sole custody of his unborn child.

Before the Pro-Life crowd makes Dirk their poster boy, has anyone raised the point that if Dirk had not sinned by having sex with a woman that he wasn’t married to, he wouldn’t find himself in this mess?

Whether a Calvinist or an Arminian, an OVT or a settled theist, MAD or A2D, Catholic or Evangelical, the Bible is pretty clear that both male and female are to remain virgins until marriage before they are to have sex, and that marriage is between one man and one woman.

Now I get that we all have an old sin nature, and lots of us don’t follow this laid out plan from God, but when fornication, adultery, premarital sex, divorce, etc enter the picture, and God’s plan is not followed, then these sorts of things happen.

Yeah it’s great that Dirk is going to do the right thing in the current situation he is in, but again, if God’s plan were taught to more young single people, then there would be less people like Dirk in these bad situations, not to mention way less abortions in general.

If you want to see less abortions in this country, then teach the word of God, and God's plan for sex and marriage. Making Dirk Nowitzki a hero is not the solution any more than making Mark Cuban a role model for children is.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yep, if no one sinned, that would be great. But you live on Earth, among humans.

It's great, too, that Dirk is willing to step up and take responsibility. He seems eager to do it. That's the next best thing to not failing at all.

God bless him and strengthen him.