Letter of Apology

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Art Deco

I believe you think not, or don't think as it were. Your Secular Humanist mind is clouded with half truths and lies that fit your view of reality.

Read "The Hiden Face of God" by Dr Gerald Schroder. Honest atheists wilt under the logic. :angel:

Now there's an oxymoron for you! :thumb:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Skeptic

I asked Frankie, not you, what Jesus would think about "Might Makes Right."

That doesn't change my response in any way.

I asked you about morality and international relations.

Morality? Is that what the UN has?

So, you agree that morality is not restricted to interpersonal relations, but also applies to international relations.

No.

If it is wrong for a strong person to dominate a weak person, then isn't it also wrong for strong nations to dominate weak nations?

No. But that is not what we are doing in Iraq. We are deposing a tyrranical terrorist, freeing 25 million people and installing a democracy.

If you are going to speculate about Jesus' disposition, my guess is that he would support our effort. I bet he'd even vote Republican! :sam:

Jesus does not explicitly talk about international relationships. Jesus did not do much traveling outside his own region or culture. He may have talked more about it, if he had traveled widely. However, if morality can be extended to the international realm, then doesn't it make sense that Jesus would have wanted nations to interact in moral ways?

There is no point in putting words in his mouth that he did not say.

I don't know. But I suspect he might have been opposed to invading nations that are not a threat, and unnecessarily killing tens of thousands of innocent men, women and children. Don't you think, BillyBob?

Yep, but that is not what we did! :banana:

Art Deco

Originally posted by Frank Ernest

Now there's an oxymoron for you! :thumb:
I know it sounds impossible, but there are rare instances when honest atheists will accept the result of human logic even when that logic flys in the face of all they hold dear.

Art Deco

Originally posted by On Fire

Nice. Vomiting over someone reading the bible.
The KJV is far superior to the NIV for the more exact translation of the Greek, but I don't hold it up as a religious relic as some do... :angel:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

I know it sounds impossible, but there are rare instances when honest atheists will accept the result of human logic even when that logic flys in the face of all they hold dear.
Do they remain "honest" atheists after that? :confused:

Art Deco

Originally posted by BillyBob

How did you know about Gerald's second job????
I thought he stopped there on the way home. I didn't know that was his part-time job. I think he's saving up to buy a 50 cal sniper rifle....:D

Art Deco

Do they remain "honest" atheists after that? :confused:
Only in so far as they allow themselves to be guided by logical truth rather than subjective reality. :angel:

Art Deco

Why should pragmatism rule international relations any more than interpersonal relations?
I can see you have never been exposed to college level "political science" classes...

Posted by Skeptic:
Also, you seem to fail to see the difference between what is and what ought to be. Pragmatism deals with the former, while morality deals with the latter. People often murder others for what they believe to be pragmatic reasons. Likewise, nations sometimes invade other nations for what they believe to be pragmatic reasons. But, when nations are invaded that are not a threat to the invaders, and tens of thousands of innocent men, women and children are killed as a result of the invasion, don't you think there are moral issues to be considered?
Historians and pundits have looked at WW II in retrospect and suggested that if Hitler had been taken out of power early on, many millions of lives would have been saved. That would have been a pragmatic use of war. Even then the idea would have been opposed by those who call themselves opposed to all wars or anti-war advocates.

Only time will tell whether the U.S. was wise in the pre-emptive strike against the evil that controlled Iraq. I think they were. We'll see... :think:

On Fire

The KJV is far superior to the NIV for the more exact translation of the Greek, but I don't hold it up as a religious relic as some do... :angel:

So all those who read the KJV are well versed in the nuances of Greek etymology? :ha:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by elected4ever
I told you before. Give me your location and agenda and we will see.
Why should I have to do that?

You claim to have the ear of the Almighty, perhaps he can help you. :chuckle:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Historians and pundits have looked at WW II in retrospect and suggested that if Hitler had been taken out of power early on, many millions of lives would have been saved.
Or, he would have been replaced by somebody as bad or worse, accomplishing nothing in the long term.

Which is why nations don't fight by assassinating each other's leaders; better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

1PeaceMaker

Originally posted by Gerald

Which is why nations don't fight by assassinating each other's leaders; better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Why, silly me.

And here I thought that the reason they don't just assassinate was because they were more interested in making money off of wars.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by 1PeaceMaker

Why, silly me.

And here I thought that the reason they don't just assassinate was because they were more interested in making money off of wars.
Well, there's that, too.

But the reason most folks get into positions of leading countries is that they have the sense to ask ahead of time "Is this action likely to turn around and bite me?"

I mean, if you assassinate Vile and Evil Leader X, his lieutenant, Viler and Eviller Sub-Leader Y might come around and assassinate you, your mother, your kids, and your dog.

See how things can escalate?

Skeptic

It is irrelevant what Jesus would think.
Not according to you.

So, according to you, what would Jesus think about "Might Makes Right"?

Might Makes Right = Survival of the Fittest. That's the ONLY scientific, rational and empirical way, is it not? :confused:
As I said before, "Might Makes Right" does not equal "Survival of the Fittest." If might equaled right, then the dinosaurs would still rule the earth.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

As I said before, "Might Makes Right" does not equal "Survival of the Fittest." If might equaled right, then the dinosaurs would still rule the earth.

Wow, you have about as much understanding of dinosaur extinction as you do of Jesus. :loser:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
the odds are greater that you will be whacked by a Muslim suicide bomber at your local Wendys fast food joint than by an angry Christian.
That might be the case...if there had been rashes of bombings and shootings in public places immediately following 9/11/01.

But there has been no such occurence on US soil since that day. You no doubt attribute this to some magical force field that God has deployed to prevent such things from happening. :chuckle:

The more reasonable conclusion is that the Bad Guys™ shot their wad when they knocked down the towers, and simply don't have anything else to throw.

I can think of dozens of things The Terrorists™ could easily and cheaply do to wreak havoc in the US. If I can think of such things, then they can, too.

So why has so much nothing happened?

Could it be that all those terrorist sleeper cells that we've been warned about are nothing more than boogeymen...?

On Fire

Originally posted by Gerald
So why has so much nothing happened?
Bush implemented better security.

Bush shut down many sources of $$$.

Bush surprised them with a couple of our own attacks. :chuckle:

Perhaps they are wondering if/when Allah is going to help them. :darwinsm: