I Suppose I Should Introduce Myself

mattsidedish

Hello all. My name is Matthew Rice (hence my screen name). I'm 17. I'm a law student in college as of now and am an active member of my community. I've been a long term member of many forums in the past few years, some of which being LessWrong, Secular Cafe, the Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board, the Rational Skepticism Forum, and the Living Non Religion Discussion Forum. I will explain the purpose of my participation later in this thread.

I was born and raised as a southern baptist and in the past six months or so I've been looking around for some alternative views on life, the universe, and how we fit into it all. To my surprise, even in my exploits on very secular areas of discussion, I've yet to find a valid compelling set of evidence that refutes the possibility of an all powerful deity and it's influence on the creation of mankind. I will most likely explain all of my beliefs later on so I won't spoil it now.

Basically as far as information about me, there's not much to talk about. I'm very serious and literal. I greatly enjoy discussion on an intellectual basis. I love nature and will most likely start a Wildlife thread here if there is not already one, and post a multiplicity of my own photos. I'm also a very philosphical person. I'm always and have always been very open to any and all schools of thought about anything, but one fact remains with me, if not with other people. If I have a certain opinion about something and I have evidence to support it, it will take more than "well, you're wrong because A, B, C, or D." I would require, as well as any intellectual person would IMO, a valid piece of (or set of) evidence, as well as some logic to put it all together in order for me to change my opinion. After 3-4 years of discussion and ideal-seeking, I've encountered so many failures for arguments that I really can't begin to explain it all to you. What you need to know is that I'm very polite and try not to let anything get in my way of facilitating the manifestation of truth- a concept you will soon find to be my life motto. Finding truth in life seems to have been my pursuit since I left highschool. You will also soon find my explanation of "Intellectually Dishonesty," a concept that I'm very passionate about.

In lieu of ranting on and on about myself, I look forward to immediately meeting all of you and sharing thoughts and opinions on a variety of topics. I've done quite a bit of research on many issues, and have written papers (not assigned by professors) also on many issues just for the sake of knowledge, so if any of you need a second opinion or some more information on an issue, please ask me. I'm all about learning and forming opinions on subjects, and I greatly enjoy researching and finding new information that I hadn't previously been privy of.

I must stop now. Thanks in advance for your friendship and thought-provoking discussion.

Levolor

Welcome to TOL, Matt.

When did you leave high school? I found that statement intriguing since you said you were 17.

I look forward to your contributions here.

mattsidedish

Welcome to TOL, Matt.

When did you leave high school? I found that statement intriguing since you said you were 17.

I look forward to your contributions here.

Well I figured I would make a thread for my somewhat of a life story or testimony, but I guess I'm awaiting some sort of verification to do anything here other than post. I can't view the "active topics," the "new posts," anything. I might as well explain it now.

At 16 (a little more than a year ago), I began to leave my faith and explore new avenues of personal benefit. This included selling drugs, which I happened to be very good at for some reason. For about 9 months, I slowly but very dramatically fell into a state of not knowing where I stood because my previous standing wasn't fitting my desires for acceptance in the school setting. I quickly made friends with many people because of my sudden change in charachter. These friends were not good. I began getting into the drug game, as it is very big where I live. I never took drugs, just sold and moved them (Moved=delivered for a higher power). I was making upwards of $1000 a week in high school selling prescription pills and marijuana.

Long story short, I tried to find new game (unknown clientele) and got "told-on." I was arrested and spent 4 extremely long and excruciating days in jail, during which I had a very long meditation on where my life was and where it needed to go. I will say that this experience was the best thing that ever happened to me. I hated school; it caused a lot of problems for me. I have always been extremely ADD (never hyperactive, though) and did not take well to being forced to do one thing at the time under the direct supervision and instruction of one person, under threat of punishment. I immediately found my faith again and found new purpose in life. I began the adult high school diploma program and got my diploma in December of 2012. I began my first Spring semester in January 2013 and have been in college ever since. My plan is to transfer within the next 6 months to Chapel Hill, NC (UNC Chapel Hill) to finish my Bachelors in Criminal Justice/Criminology/Prelaw. Eventually, I would like to go for a Masters in Criminal Law and become a detective for the SBI here in NC. I have several family and Church family connections to the SBI, so I'd be a shoe-in.

Again I'm rambling, but this was bound to happen eventually.

Thanks for your welcome!

doloresistere

Well I figured I would make a thread for my somewhat of a life story or testimony, but I guess I'm awaiting some sort of verification to do anything here other than post. I can't view the "active topics," the "new posts," anything. I might as well explain it now.

At 16 (a little more than a year ago), I began to leave my faith and explore new avenues of personal benefit. This included selling drugs, which I happened to be very good at for some reason. For about 9 months, I slowly but very dramatically fell into a state of not knowing where I stood because my previous standing wasn't fitting my desires for acceptance in the school setting. I quickly made friends with many people because of my sudden change in charachter. These friends were not good. I began getting into the drug game, as it is very big where I live. I never took drugs, just sold and moved them (Moved=delivered for a higher power). I was making upwards of $1000 a week in high school selling prescription pills and marijuana.

Long story short, I tried to find new game (unknown clientele) and got "told-on." I was arrested and spent 4 extremely long and excruciating days in jail, during which I had a very long meditation on where my life was and where it needed to go. I will say that this experience was the best thing that ever happened to me. I hated school; it caused a lot of problems for me. I have always been extremely ADD (never hyperactive, though) and did not take well to being forced to do one thing at the time under the direct supervision and instruction of one person, under threat of punishment. I immediately found my faith again and found new purpose in life. I began the adult high school diploma program and got my diploma in December of 2012. I began my first Spring semester in January 2013 and have been in college ever since. My plan is to transfer within the next 6 months to Chapel Hill, NC (UNC Chapel Hill) to finish my Bachelors in Criminal Justice/Criminology/Prelaw. Eventually, I would like to go for a Masters in Criminal Law and become a detective for the SBI here in NC. I have several family and Church family connections to the SBI, so I'd be a shoe-in.

Again I'm rambling, but this was bound to happen eventually.

Thanks for your welcome!

You are obviously a very sharp young man. Leaving high school for a period and then getting your diploma quickly after that, allowed you to enter college at a very early age.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Welcome Matt, you seem sharp and if it is truth you seek you will find much of it here though you will have to do the work of sifting through the deception & drama that is inherent on any forum. TOL has a lot of good folks in the end and I hope you find your time here edifying.

Rocket

Levolor

Thanks for your welcome!

You are most welcome!

I am very pleased for you. For one because you certainly sound very disciplined for having ADD. Discipline is an important quality to have as a disciple of Christ.

I hope that your time here is blessed.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello all. My name is Matthew Rice (hence my screen name). I'm 17. I'm a law student in college as of now and am an active member of my community. I've been a long term member of many forums in the past few years, some of which being LessWrong, Secular Cafe, the Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board, the Rational Skepticism Forum, and the Living Non Religion Discussion Forum. I will explain the purpose of my participation later in this thread.

I was born and raised as a southern baptist and in the past six months or so I've been looking around for some alternative views on life, the universe, and how we fit into it all. To my surprise, even in my exploits on very secular areas of discussion, I've yet to find a valid compelling set of evidence that refutes the possibility of an all powerful deity and it's influence on the creation of mankind. I will most likely explain all of my beliefs later on so I won't spoil it now.

Basically as far as information about me, there's not much to talk about. I'm very serious and literal. I greatly enjoy discussion on an intellectual basis. I love nature and will most likely start a Wildlife thread here if there is not already one, and post a multiplicity of my own photos. I'm also a very philosphical person. I'm always and have always been very open to any and all schools of thought about anything, but one fact remains with me, if not with other people. If I have a certain opinion about something and I have evidence to support it, it will take more than "well, you're wrong because A, B, C, or D." I would require, as well as any intellectual person would IMO, a valid piece of (or set of) evidence, as well as some logic to put it all together in order for me to change my opinion. After 3-4 years of discussion and ideal-seeking, I've encountered so many failures for arguments that I really can't begin to explain it all to you. What you need to know is that I'm very polite and try not to let anything get in my way of facilitating the manifestation of truth- a concept you will soon find to be my life motto. Finding truth in life seems to have been my pursuit since I left highschool. You will also soon find my explanation of "Intellectually Dishonesty," a concept that I'm very passionate about.

In lieu of ranting on and on about myself, I look forward to immediately meeting all of you and sharing thoughts and opinions on a variety of topics. I've done quite a bit of research on many issues, and have written papers (not assigned by professors) also on many issues just for the sake of knowledge, so if any of you need a second opinion or some more information on an issue, please ask me. I'm all about learning and forming opinions on subjects, and I greatly enjoy researching and finding new information that I hadn't previously been privy of.

I must stop now. Thanks in advance for your friendship and thought-provoking discussion.
Welcome. I think if you post a number of posts more access becomes available to you.