How to get started?

Andru_Johnson

My kids are in Th and Th grades and we have just moved. It was a very spur of the minute move so we didn't have time to research schools. Now that we are here, the schools haven't made their "AYP" ever and I haven't had one parent compliment the schools. Not a good sign. SO I am trying to decide if I could afford to home school my kids and if so where do I get started. I was home schooled in High School, but it was a correspondence school and it was very pricey. If I start this, I will always continue it. I just don't know how and where. Can anyone help?
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Adam

Hall of Fame
My kids are in Th and Th grades and we have just moved. It was a very spur of the minute move so we didn't have time to research schools. Now that we are here, the schools haven't made their "AYP" ever and I haven't had one parent compliment the schools. Not a good sign. SO I am trying to decide if I could afford to home school my kids and if so where do I get started. I was home schooled in High School, but it was a correspondence school and it was very pricey. If I start this, I will always continue it. I just don't know how and where. Can anyone help?
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
We are here to help and to answer your questions. Also, we need a little bit more info.

What is "Th and Th grades"?
How old are your children?
How many children do you have?
What State do you live in?

Homeschooling is so incredibly fun for those who love their children.

QueenAtHome

Andru,

Hi. Welcome!

A good place to start is to find out what the laws of your state are. Home school legal defense association is the best place to get that information. More properly known as HSLDA
Then you will have a better understanding of what is required of you.
Some states require more hours for the upper grades.

The annual cost of homeschool can range depending on the grade, the curriculum, the method you use, what supplies you use, etc. You can spend a little or alot. Depends on what you want to purchase.

Don't think of homeschool in terms of money and you will realize that you can undoubtedly afford to homeschool. More so, you can't afford not to. You have already mentioned that the school is not up to par and nothing good can be said of it. Do you really want your children being there for 30 hours a week? (even more negative influence if they ride the bus)

You might want to check out Homeschooling on a shoestring by Melissa Morgan

Like Adambassador said, homeschooling is quite enjoyable. Watching them learn and explore is a treasure. Also, you get to learn along with them. You get to walk through history again and do science experiments.

and it is also cool to be able to mark a vacation to Mt. Rushmore as a field trip.