Homeschooling preschoolers

1PeaceMaker

:help: I am trying to figure something out that works for a 3 yr old. I haven't even finished teaching her the alphabet yet, though. Suggestions?

I don't want to set expectations too high, or too low.

I am also very against TV, at all. Even Sesame street.

Christine

PeaceKeeper, welcome to TOL :wave: you might try checking out my parents favorite homeschooling ministry www.triviumpursuit.com They include a list of things to do with your child before she reaches ten. Right now, they would probably say to read aloud alot.

Congraulations on choosing homeschooling!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1PeaceMaker,

Welcome to TOL! I don't have a pre-schooler, but I did a search for you. Here's a list of links with some ideas:

http://www.bry-backmanor.org/
http://www.loveathome.com/homeschool/littleones.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Forest/2468/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschoolingpreschoolers/
http://members.tripod.com/creativehomeschooler/

I didn't do a huge search. But, to me, the third one and the fifth one look like the best sites. The fourth one is an e-mail loop. I am a member of Christian Homeschooling Moms on Yahoo groups. I think there are a lot of moms that have older kids there, but there are a few there with younger kids too. Only requirements are that you're a Christian, homeschooling, mom. :)

1PeaceMaker

Wow! Thank you so much!:D

I was wondering, have any of you been homeschooled as a pre-schooler, or been a hoomschooling teacher of a preschooler?

I have heard of unschooling, which sounds wonderfull, but frankly, I am in unfamiliar territory.....

I was taught to read when I was about 5, some read at three 3, but that sounds like it might be pushing it a bit. Any advice?

BTW, I was homeschooled a couple of years, so I can see the pontential for good it can have. I am glad to have found you people!:D

Oh, yes, and the websites look very helpful! I'll definetly be checking them out.:)

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wish I could help you more. I didn't start homeschooling my daughter until second grade. :)

Christine

Originally posted by 1PeaceMaker
Wow! Thank you so much!:D

I was wondering, have any of you been homeschooled as a pre-schooler, or been a hoomschooling teacher of a preschooler?
I have always been homeschooled, including as a preschooler.

I have heard of unschooling, which sounds wonderfull, but frankly, I am in unfamiliar territory.....
Unschooling may sound good, but it is based on the idea that if children are left to them selves they will learn. The majority of children are not that way. If you still want a more laid back approach to homeschooling, I suggest you look into the Charolette Mason method or the Classical method. There may be other methods as well, but I can't think of them at the moment. My parents use the classical method.

I was taught to read when I was about 5, some read at three 3, but that sounds like it might be pushing it a bit. Any advice?
I too was taught to read around five or six. Again, the website I recommended to you says to just try to have them reading by ten.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I do a cross between unschooling and traditional schooling. The majority of what we do is "interest-led." But, I'm one that believes in having a schedule for school. :)

According to my mother, I taught myself how to read when I was two or three years old. My daughter taught herself how to read when she was two. At two years old, she took apart an old wind-up alarm clock with a screwdriver and put it back together. She only missed one or two springs. :) I knew at that minute that I would have problems with her in school. :chuckle: Public school teachers don't like it when the kids are smarter than they are. :)

1PeaceMaker

Originally posted by ebenz47037
According to my mother, I taught myself how to read when I was two or three years old. My daughter taught herself how to read when she was two. At two years old, she took apart an old wind-up alarm clock with a screwdriver and put it back together. She only missed one or two springs. :) I knew at that minute that I would have problems with her in school. :chuckle: Public school teachers don't like it when the kids are smarter than they are. :)

:cool:

I think that I should just go for teaching her to read then. She really really wants to, and I have made some headway. She picks out letters from words, that she recognizes, and she insists I read to her in detail.

Example:

"Cat C-A-T cat."

So when she says read to me, I know THAT'S what she really means.:chuckle: Shure takes time to get through books like that..... :chuckle:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:cool:

I think that I should just go for teaching her to read then. She really really wants to, and I have made some headway. She picks out letters from words, that she recognizes, and she insists I read to her in detail.

Example:

"Cat C-A-T cat."

So when she says read to me, I know THAT'S what she really means.:chuckle: Shure takes time to get through books like that..... :chuckle:

If she wants to learn to read, start teaching her. My daughter's an only child and was often the only person I had to talk to. So, she had a larger vocabulary than most two year olds as it was. :) I used to read in the bathtub. I would usually forget to take my book out of the bathroom when I was done. So, she would see the book when she went in there and pick it up and start reading the words she recognized (her first word to know how to spell was "b-a-t-h"). If your daughter knows how to spell smaller words already, it sounds like she may be ready to learn. Instead of trying to teach her right away, have her "read" to you. That's a good way to start. Even if she only tells you what's happening in the pictures, it develops her imagination.