Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Poststar.com reports:

Boy Wins Spelling Bee With 'Serrefine'
By JOSEPH WHITE
Published: Friday, June 01, 2007

WASHINGTON - The winner of the spelling bee sounded as if he'd rather be at a math Olympiad. Thirteen-year-old Evan O'Dorney of Danville, Calif., breezed through the Scripps National Spelling Bee with barely a hitch Thursday night, taking the title, the trophy and the prizes in a competition that he confessed really wasn't his favorite.

The home-schooled eighth-grader easily aced "serrefine" _ a noun describing small forceps _ to become the last youngster standing at the 80th annual bee. He triumphed after a tense duel with Nate Gartke of Spruce Grove, Alberta, who was trying to become the first Canadian to win.

Afterward, Evan spoke more enthusiastically about attending a math camp in Nebraska this summer than about becoming the English language's top speller.

"My favorite things to do were math and music, and with the math I really like the way the numbers fit together," he said. "And with the music I like to let out ideas by composing notes _ and the spelling is just a bunch of memorization." (more at above link)

I think it's hilarious how this boy realizes that a spelling bee doesn't showcase what he considers his true talent. But, I say way to go, Evan! :thumb: