Hi - Looking for help with Symbolisim

222ridepegasus

Hi there,

I'm a Graphic Designer looking for some assistance with finding the meaning behind a selection of medieval textile art. Can anyone point me to the right part of the Forum?

Here's a sample of the Artwork: Click image for larger version Name: Screen shot

birdlq.png

Thanks in advance

K

naatmi

"The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people [including agnostics] are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles. Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity, to dishonor their bodies among themselves. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones, and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done. They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents, senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless. Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them."

EDIT: What I mean by that Bible quote is that the artwork symbolizes the imminent danger of an agnostic becoming a bird-worshipping homo. You can kind of see the meaning in the picture! That's what happens when people don't appreciate God.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Hi there,

I'm a Graphic Designer looking for some assistance with finding the meaning behind a selection of medieval textile art. Can anyone point me to the right part of the Forum?

Here's a sample of the Artwork: Click image for larger version Name: Screen shot

birdlq.png

Thanks in advance

K

Fustat textile fragment with eagle design, ca. 12th to 13th centuries. Cairo Museum of Islamic Art.

Here is a Wiki Link. I have no idea if this helps you. It was interesting to me. I learned something.

Fustat

Fustat (also Fostat, Al Fustat, Misr al-Fustat and Fustat-Misr, and in Arabic: الفسطاط‎, al-Fusţāţ), was the first capital of Egypt under Arab rule. It was built by the Arab general 'Amr ibn al-'As immediately after the Arab conquest of Egypt in AD 641, and featured the Mosque of Amr, the first mosque built in Egypt and in all of Africa.

Origin of name

The city's name comes from the Arabic word fusṭāṭ (فسطاط) which means a large tent or pavilion. According to tradition, the location of Fustat was chosen by a bird: A dove laid an egg in the tent of 'Amr ibn al-'As, the Muslim conqueror of Egypt, just before he was to march on Alexandria. His camp at that time was just north of the Roman fortress of Babylon