First Amendment vs. First Commandment

NotATheologist

Isn’t the first commandment of Christianity in direct diametrical contradiction to the essence of the First Amendment of the Constitution ?

It’s impossible to reconcile the two, in my opinion: the former forbids the worship of other deities other than the Christian god, or else you’re morally corrupt, and, it should be noted, deserving of an eternity of agony, torture and conscious suffering while slow-burning in an everlasting “lake of sulfur and fire” (pardon the hyperbole).

The latter, defines in its essence freedom of though, and the freedom of belief in any deity your conscience dictates, or no deity at all, as an inalienable right. Inherently attaching no measure of moral worth to those beliefs, no matter what they are. No religion is more worthy morally than the others, or to not holding religious beliefs at all

Absolutely, diametrically, unequivocally contradictory, in my opinion

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Isn’t the first commandment of Christianity in direct diametrical contradiction to the essence of the First Amendment of the Constitution ?
Only if God's not a liberal.

Some of His Commandments are liberal institutions, such as the recognition of the absolute human rights against being murdered and falsely testified against. In order to obey His First Commandment, we have to do it in a liberal manner, which means recognizing universal and indivisible human rights, like those recognized in the First Amendment. God is consistent with primitive natural human rights, like the right against cruel and unusual punishment. He's a liberal.
It’s impossible to reconcile the two, in my opinion: the former forbids the worship of other deities other than the Christian god, or else you’re morally corrupt, and, it should be noted, deserving of an eternity of agony, torture and conscious suffering while slow-burning in an everlasting “lake of sulfur and fire” (pardon the hyperbole).
"We are all sinners" means that we are all ethically corrupt (according to Christ's /the Church's /His Apostles' ethics), but not usually morally corrupt, which would be guilt of violent crime like perjury /false witness.
The latter, defines in its essence freedom of though, and the freedom of belief in any deity your conscience dictates, or no deity at all, as an inalienable right. Inherently attaching no measure of moral worth to those beliefs, no matter what they are. No religion is more worthy morally than the others, or to not holding religious beliefs at all

As far as the moral worth of different beliefs, religious or not in nature, it's true that they are all morally equal. But they aren't all ethically equal.

Lon

----

One is a right 'among' people. The other, a way we are originally designed: to love and love sacrificially (redundant) the God Who made us.