Enter Saint

EnterSaint

I will tell you the same thing I've told others who use the label. It's dishonest.
Do you also do the same things to the people who claim Christianity and don't hold strictly to it?

People will assume you are a Jew and you are not.
Last time I checked, people can convert to Judaism, rendering a Jewish mother irrelevant.

I understand there is a whole world of non-Jews involved in the Messianic movement but the general public still believes that when you call yourself a Messianic Jew, you are actually a Jew who believes in Jesus as your messiah.
Please tell me what "being a Jew" entails. I'll defer to your expertise.

Christianity and Judaism are two very different things.
I already said that.

Either Jesus was a religious Jew or he wasn't. If he was then I would think he'd be appalled at Christians worshiping him and coming up with some new religion.
I agree. I'm just trying to get as close to Jesus' religion and beliefs as I can, regardless of whatever label you want to put on it or offense you want to take.

Dena

Do you also do the same things to the people who claim Christianity and don't hold strictly to it?

No, I am not a Christian and I am not concerned with how they use their label. They can do whatever they would like. That is their business and it's not for me to tell them what to do. I am a Jew and I care about how we are represented. It's important to me.

Last time I checked, people can convert to Judaism, rendering a Jewish mother irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant. It's still Jewish law (though the Reform and Reconstructionist movements do except children of Jewish fathers if they were raised in Judaism). You will notice I did ask you if you converted.

Please tell me what "being a Jew" entails. I'll defer to your expertise.

Being a Jew. It's quite simple. Jewish mom (or at the very least a Jewish dad) or studying for a year or more, sitting before a Jewish court, getting snip snipped (except for women of course), going to the mikveh and being welcomed as a Jew into the Jewish community.

I don't understand your question? It's like me calling myself a Canadian and then saying "oh, well, do tell...what does "being a Canadian" entail? I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

I agree. I'm just trying to get as close to Jesus' religion and beliefs as I can, regardless of whatever label you want to put on it or offense you want to take.

So if Jesus was Jewish then why are you a part of the Messianic movement? Do you believe he was the messiah and literally god or no?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
No, I have no Jewish lineage. Truth be told, calling myself a Messianic Jew is a bit misleading, but in a multiple choice list, it is the closest to my personal beliefs because it is, what I believe, to be the closest to Christianity as Jesus meant it. The Protestant churches today (I am not an expert on any other kinds) have a tendency to separate Judaism from Christianity which I do not believe was Jesus' intention. That's why I claim to be a Messianic Jew rather than any sort of protestant, Catholic, or orthodoxy.

It isn't really necessary to call yourself a Messianic Jew. A Christian is a believer that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. I think saying you are a Christian involves believing that but it doesn't make it necessary for you to convert to judaism. I think following Judaism is a choice for a Messianic Jew or a Christian.

Dena

Me referring myself to as a Messianic Jew, but I've since changed it to appease you. I don't actually care enough about the label of my religion to fight with you about it.

:cheers:

You didn't have to change it to just appease me. But I applaud you for being more forthright. :up: :up: :up:

EnterSaint

You didn't have to change it to just appease me. But I applaud you for being more forthright. :up: :up: :up:
Don't misunderstand; this is not an admission of error. Clearly labels mean more to you than me, so I'm perfectly willing to change it for your peace of mind.