Does anyone know...

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anyone know the break-down, by religion, of homeschoolers? The majority of homeschoolers that I know are catholic. I'd have to say that at least 75% of the homeschoolers I know are catholic. Anyone know the break-down or where I can find out?

Mr. 5020

Does anyone know the break-down, by religion, of homeschoolers? The majority of homeschoolers that I know are catholic. I'd have to say that at least 75% of the homeschoolers I know are catholic. Anyone know the break-down or where I can find out?
I'm not aware of any such study. The only institute that I am aware of that does in-depth studies on the homeschooled is the National Home Education Research Institute. Here is their research page...
I also found some interesting information on a source listed on Wikipedia.
  • Homeschool graduates are active and involved in their communities. 71% participate in an ongoing community service activity, like coaching a sports team, volunteering at a school, or working with a church or neighborhood association, compared with 37% of U.S. adults of similar ages from a traditional education background.
  • Homeschool graduates are more involved in civic affairs and vote in much higher percentages than their peers. 76% of those surveyed between the ages of 18 and 24 voted within the last five years, compared with only 29% of the corresponding U.S. populace. The numbers are even greater in older age groups, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared with a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace.
  • 58.9% report that they are "very happy" with life, compared with 27.6% for the general U.S. population. 73.2% find life "exciting", compared with 47.3%.[source]

Quincy

i found this, but i will continue searching for u.

Academic Statistics
The average homeschool 8th grade student performs four grade levels above the national average (Rudner study). One in four homeschool students (24.5%) are enrolled one or more grades above age level. Students who have been home schooled their entire lives have the highest scholastic achievement. In every subject and at every grade level of the ITBS and TAP batteries, homeschool students scored significantly higher than their counterparts in public and private schools.

Homeschool profile

Median amount spent on home schooling per child in the US - $450

Household incomes

18% of home school families earn less than $25,000, 44% of households between $25,000 and $49,000.

Religion

Over 75% attend religious services

Television

65.3% of 4th grade homeschoolers spend one hour or less per day watching television

Regulation

States with High government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 86

States with Moderate government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 85

States with Low government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 86

Certification

Performance of 4th grade home schoolers where at least one parent was certified - Composite Percentage Score 82

Performance of 4th grade home schoolers where neither parent was certified - Composite Percentage Score 82

Minority Performance

Home school - average reading score (white) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (white) - 61 percentile

Home school - average reading score (minority) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (minority) -49 percent

Home school - average math score (white) - 82 percentile; Public school - average math score (white) - 60 percentile

Home school - average math score (minority) - 77 percentile; Public school - average math score (minority) - 50 percentile

For data above reference Brian D. Ray, PhD, Home Schooling on the Threshold (NHERI Publications, PO Box 13939, Salem, OR 97309), and HSLDA, Home Education Across the USA (HSLDA, 17333 Pickwick Dr., Purcellville, VA 20132), and HSLDA, Home Schooling Works, Pass it on! Rudner Report, (HSLDA, 17333 Pickwick Dr., Purcellville, VA 20132).

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I looked on the NHERI site and can't find a full report to read without paying them $59 for a subscription. I don't want to pay that right now.

I know that where I live, 6 out of 10 families are catholic, 2 are evangelical/protestant, 1 mormon, and 1 other faith or atheist. That's just from my own school district though, and doesn't break it down between homeschoolers, private school students, and public school students.

Mr. 5020

I looked on the NHERI site and can't find a full report to read without paying them $59 for a subscription. I don't want to pay that right now.

I know that where I live, 6 out of 10 families are catholic, 2 are evangelical/protestant, 1 mormon, and 1 other faith or atheist. That's just from my own school district though, and doesn't break it down between homeschoolers, private school students, and public school students.
I wish I could add to your stats, but I personally don't know a single homeschooler. :)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wish I could add to your stats, but I personally don't know a single homeschooler. :)

Thanks. I know about 20 homeschooling families here. Fifteen are catholic, two are protestant/evangelical, one is mormon, and two are another faith or atheist. It's hard to find hard data on that.

Mr. 5020

Thanks. I know about 20 homeschooling families here. Fifteen are catholic, two are protestant/evangelical, one is mormon, and two are another faith or atheist. It's hard to find hard data on that.
Especially because in some states (like mine) homeschooling families don't have to register and are completely unsupervised.

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Especially because in some states (like mine) homeschooling families don't have to register and are completely unsupervised.

Well, it's the same way here, in Indiana. But, those are homeschoolers that I know.

Quincy

most of them are governmental studies or collegiate studies and they of course try to stay politically correct. i looked over several search engines and didnt find a really conclusive breakdown other than 72 to 75% of homeschooling families implore religion into their practices.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's hard to find any statistics from unbiased sources. And as you saw, those with an agenda to support homeschooling, do sometimes not tell the truth (citing the number of "homeschooled achievers, most of whom had not been homeschooled).

Likewise, the NEA can be expected to be negative about it. Is there any good survey? Well, there is this:

Home schooled children: a pediatric perspective.Klugewicz SL, Carraccio CL.
Davidsonville Pediatrics, Crofton, Maryland, USA.

To explore the attitudes and self-assessed knowledge of pediatricians regarding home schooling and determine whether practices provide preventive services typically rendered by the school system, we surveyed pediatricians in Wisconsin and Maryland (high versus low rates of home schooling, respectively). Of the 598 (53%) responding, only 18% supported home schooling. They judged home-schooled children to perform at an average (58%) or below average (12%) level on standardized tests and regarded them to be less mature than their peers (51%). These opinions differ from studies published in the educational literature. Many practitioners do not perform routine vision (18%) or hearing (83%) screens or monitor for overdue immunizations (71%). As pediatricians and child advocates, we need to become more knowledgeable about home schooling and provide preventive services for these children.

Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1999 Jul;38(7):407-11

This is unsatisfactory also, as those who had seen evidence of failure in homeschools were probably more likely to respond.

I'll see what else is out there from objective sources.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Homeschoolers I know are mainly protestant. I had known very few Catholics when I was young and most I met later, went to Catholic school

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It's hard to find any statistics from unbiased sources. And as you saw, those with an agenda to support homeschooling, do sometimes not tell the truth (citing the number of "homeschooled achievers, most of whom had not been homeschooled).

Likewise, the NEA can be expected to be negative about it. Is there any good survey? Well, there is this:

Home schooled children: a pediatric perspective.Klugewicz SL, Carraccio CL.
Davidsonville Pediatrics, Crofton, Maryland, USA.

To explore the attitudes and self-assessed knowledge of pediatricians regarding home schooling and determine whether practices provide preventive services typically rendered by the school system, we surveyed pediatricians in Wisconsin and Maryland (high versus low rates of home schooling, respectively). Of the 598 (53%) responding, only 18% supported home schooling. They judged home-schooled children to perform at an average (58%) or below average (12%) level on standardized tests and regarded them to be less mature than their peers (51%). These opinions differ from studies published in the educational literature. Many practitioners do not perform routine vision (18%) or hearing (83%) screens or monitor for overdue immunizations (71%). As pediatricians and child advocates, we need to become more knowledgeable about home schooling and provide preventive services for these children.

Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1999 Jul;38(7):407-11

This is unsatisfactory also, as those who had seen evidence of failure in homeschools were probably more likely to respond.

I'll see what else is out there from objective sources.

I bet you had to dig to find that one from back in 1999:crackup:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There seem to be very few rigorous and unbiased evaluations of home schooling.
Could the fact that colleges are actively recruiting homeschoolers be seen as evidence that your quote might be a bit out-dated?

asilentskeptic

Homeschoolers I know are mainly protestant. I had known very few Catholics when I was young and most I met later, went to Catholic school

I can think of about 20 different home-schooling families that I know personally. None of them are Catholic. All are your basic Protestant (some leaning towards the extreme Charismatic).

It all depends on who is in your social circle. I grew up in a private Christian school, and we often grouped up with a lot of different local home-school groups. My experience has been that they are generally protestant Christian.

Adam

Hall of Fame
I have never met a homeschooling family that was Catholic. Most that I know are Baptist, Charismatic, independent, Mennonite or pagan.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I know of one family that homeschools that is Catholic. All the rest either have no noticable religious beliefs, or are evangelicals.