Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisBJ

…yet another confirmation of the Bible’s accuracy, scientists have now confirmed what Scripture refers to as “the fountains of the deep.” In the days of Noah and the Ark, these large pools of water beneath the Earth’s crust burst forth onto the surface providing the massive amounts of water needed for the global flood judgment. What has once been a source of skepticism and mockery for those who doubt the Bible, has now been confirmed by secular scientists, again showing that although written over 3,000 years ago, the Bible’s description of the Earth and its natural properties are indeed accurate.
According to reports:
An international team of scientists led by Graham Pearson, Canada Excellence Research Chair in Arctic Resources at the U of A, has discovered the first-ever sample of a mineral called ringwoodite. Analysis of the mineral shows it contains a significant amount of water — 1.5 per cent of its weight — a finding that confirms scientific theories about vast volumes of water trapped 410 to 660 kilometres beneath Earth’s surface, between the upper and lower mantle.
“This sample really provides extremely strong confirmation that there are local wet spots deep in the Earth in this area,” said Pearson, a professor in the Faculty of Science, whose findings were published March 13 in Nature. “That particular zone in the Earth, the transition zone, might have as much water as all the world’s oceans put together.”http://beginningandend.com/scientists-confirm-biblical-account-of-the-fountains-of-the-deep/
Very good. This is actually quite an interesting study, and I have the original article in my library. The original peer-reviewed scientific article appeared in “Nature” magazine early last year (available at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7491/full/nature13080.html). The article is quite technical, and a precis of it appeared in “Science Daily”. It appears it is that precis that the article 6days links to uses as its source. It is commonly known that the more remote you are from relying directly on original sources, the more likely you are to misconstrue what was actually said. (For this reason, Biblical translators often go to great lengths to identify what ancient manuscripts are the closest to the originals.)

The link 6days provides quotes the important part of the original article. It says, in summary, that a certain type of rock that is believed to come from very deep in the earth was found to contain a significant amount of water in it. Rock of this type is believed to compose a huge layer deep within the earth, and if we assume all of that rock has a similar water content, then the total volume of water down there is more than all the water we see here on the surface of the earth. This vast subterranean amount of water has sometimes been referred to as a subterranean ocean. However, it is important to note that nowhere in the original study is there any reference to the subterranean water being in actual bodies of water – “oceans” if you prefer. The article only addresses water found embedded in the crystalline matrix of the rock. The closest to hinting at free-standing deep subterranean water is when the article speaks of “regionally localized wet-spots in the transition zone”.

The precis in “Science Daily” of the original article takes the liberty of including a graphic showing what appears to be a thick layer of water deep in the earth, and uses the inaccurate term “subterranean ocean”. There probably is a subterranean ocean down there, in the sense of the vast quantity of water, but I have seen no studies that indicate it is in isolated free-standing pools. Large deep free-standing pools would likely be detectable by P and S-wave analysis. (P and S-wave analysis is probably beyond what most of the readers at TOL are interested in, but if anyone really wants to know – ask).

So, my question, how do you get a huge quantity of water that is trapped in crystal lattices in rocks deep in the earth into a “fountain” at the surface? And (referring to the article), to get this water you don’t just need a shallow crack in the earth, you have to have a split that reaches down about 300 miles just to reach the top most layer where the water is at. Is that a big deal? Over the past few decades, several efforts have been made to see just how deep we could reach into the earth with drilling equipment. How deep did we get? About 10 miles. At just that depth the temperatures and pressures were extreme enough that we couldn’t go deeper. Under high temperatures and extreme pressures, what we think of as solid rock actually begins to flow. Good luck on getting a 300 mile deep hole or crack in the earth that stays open just to let water spurt out.

Creationists are famous for grabbing something science has come up with, twisting it to suit their needs, and the proclaiming that it proves the Bible true. If 6days is willing to stand behind his assertion that this scientific study confirms the Biblical “fountains of the deep”, then he should be willing to ask the scientists themselves. The “Science Daily” precis includes this statement:
The study is a great example of a modern international collaboration with some of the top leaders from various fields, including the Geoscience Institute at Goethe University, University of Padova, Durham University, University of Vienna, Trigon GeoServices and Ghent University.​
6days, there are listed 6 different universities or companies that are intimately familiar with this study. Can you provide, or will you get, an official statement from any one of them that concurs with you in thinking this water deep in the transition layer is a reasonable explanation for the Biblical ‘fountains of the deep”?

As a side note, how about the explanation for the Biblical “fountains of the deep” that is the favorite of a number of long-time TOLers – Dr. Walt Brown’s hydroplate theory? Rev. Bob Enyart is the de-facto on-line pastor for many at TOL (and he is the real pastor for some TOL faithful that reside in the Denver area). Enyart has long championed Walt Brown’s ideas as expressed in some detail at http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/. Walt Brown is no slouch academically or professionally, and for years has had a standing offer to debate the ideas he has in his on-line book. And those ideas, in presenting his explanation for the “fountains of the deep”, don’t jive with what you are trying to peddle now. 6days, you willing to take Walt on in a debate?

DavisBJ

I posted to 6days:
… Davis A. Young - Geology Professor Emeritus of Calvin College - wrote:
…there is abundant evidence for an extremely old earth and that there is no geological evidence to confirm the idea of a universal deluge.
(In the preface to “The Biblical Flood – A Case Study of the Church’s Response to Extrabiblical Evidence”)​
6day’s response:
No...not poor interpretations of evidence like that.
Note in what I said to 6days I made no pretense of presenting evidence, and only identified an academically qualified Christian who has written on the subject of Noah’s flood. Nor did 6days itemize any evidence, before issuing his knee-jerk evaluation is that it has “poor interpretations of evidence.” 6days doesn’t need to see the evidence, all he needs to know to pass judgement on it is whether it jives with what he wants to believe. That is the way 6days does science.

DavisBJ

I was thinking more like....."Exciting research from the summer of 2012 described DNA variation in the protein coding regions of the human genome linked to population growth. One of the investigation's conclusions was that the human genome began to rapidly diversify not more than 5,000 years ago. This observation closely agrees with a biblical timeline of post-flood human diversification. Yet another study, this one published in the journal Nature, accessed even more extensive data and unintentionally confirmed the recent human history described in Genesis. http://www.icr.org/article/genetics-research-confirms-biblical/
I have been aware for years that various DNA studies have yielded a variety of dates. I would be surprised if, culling through all the studies, you couldn’t find at least one that supports whatever date tickles your fancy. If you focus on mitochondrial DNA, you might get one date. Y-Chromosome, another date. And so on. The dishonesty comes when you selectively pick just the study that gives the date you wanted (as creationists are wont to do).

Interplanner

Very good. This is actually quite an interesting study, and I have the original article in my library. The original peer-reviewed scientific article appeared in “Nature” magazine early last year (available at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7491/full/nature13080.html). The article is quite technical, and a precis of it appeared in “Science Daily”. It appears it is that precis that the article 6days links to uses as its source. It is commonly known that the more remote you are from relying directly on original sources, the more likely you are to misconstrue what was actually said. (For this reason, Biblical translators often go to great lengths to identify what ancient manuscripts are the closest to the originals.)

The link 6days provides quotes the important part of the original article. It says, in summary, that a certain type of rock that is believed to come from very deep in the earth was found to contain a significant amount of water in it. Rock of this type is believed to compose a huge layer deep within the earth, and if we assume all of that rock has a similar water content, then the total volume of water down there is more than all the water we see here on the surface of the earth. This vast subterranean amount of water has sometimes been referred to as a subterranean ocean. However, it is important to note that nowhere in the original study is there any reference to the subterranean water being in actual bodies of water – “oceans” if you prefer. The article only addresses water found embedded in the crystalline matrix of the rock. The closest to hinting at free-standing deep subterranean water is when the article speaks of “regionally localized wet-spots in the transition zone”.

The precis in “Science Daily” of the original article takes the liberty of including a graphic showing what appears to be a thick layer of water deep in the earth, and uses the inaccurate term “subterranean ocean”. There probably is a subterranean ocean down there, in the sense of the vast quantity of water, but I have seen no studies that indicate it is in isolated free-standing pools. Large deep free-standing pools would likely be detectable by P and S-wave analysis. (P and S-wave analysis is probably beyond what most of the readers at TOL are interested in, but if anyone really wants to know – ask).

So, my question, how do you get a huge quantity of water that is trapped in crystal lattices in rocks deep in the earth into a “fountain” at the surface? And (referring to the article), to get this water you don’t just need a shallow crack in the earth, you have to have a split that reaches down about 300 miles just to reach the top most layer where the water is at. Is that a big deal? Over the past few decades, several efforts have been made to see just how deep we could reach into the earth with drilling equipment. How deep did we get? About 10 miles. At just that depth the temperatures and pressures were extreme enough that we couldn’t go deeper. Under high temperatures and extreme pressures, what we think of as solid rock actually begins to flow. Good luck on getting a 300 mile deep hole or crack in the earth that stays open just to let water spurt out.

Creationists are famous for grabbing something science has come up with, twisting it to suit their needs, and the proclaiming that it proves the Bible true. If 6days is willing to stand behind his assertion that this scientific study confirms the Biblical “fountains of the deep”, then he should be willing to ask the scientists themselves. The “Science Daily” precis includes this statement:
The study is a great example of a modern international collaboration with some of the top leaders from various fields, including the Geoscience Institute at Goethe University, University of Padova, Durham University, University of Vienna, Trigon GeoServices and Ghent University.​
6days, there are listed 6 different universities or companies that are intimately familiar with this study. Can you provide, or will you get, an official statement from any one of them that concurs with you in thinking this water deep in the transition layer is a reasonable explanation for the Biblical ‘fountains of the deep”?

As a side note, how about the explanation for the Biblical “fountains of the deep” that is the favorite of a number of long-time TOLers – Dr. Walt Brown’s hydroplate theory? Rev. Bob Enyart is the de-facto on-line pastor for many at TOL (and he is the real pastor for some TOL faithful that reside in the Denver area). Enyart has long championed Walt Brown’s ideas as expressed in some detail at http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/. Walt Brown is no slouch academically or professionally, and for years has had a standing offer to debate the ideas he has in his on-line book. And those ideas, in presenting his explanation for the “fountains of the deep”, don’t jive with what you are trying to peddle now. 6days, you willing to take Walt on in a debate?

Here are some of the geologists who see the subterranean waters as 'the deep,' from my bibliography: Oard, Ager, Silvestru, Walker, Nurre, Clemens, Baugh. Some are also Christians. Brown was helpful but I don't think he ever integrated tectonics.

I reread your post about the 10 miles and it seems that you answered your own question about extremes reached closer than 300.

Another area of study related to all this is the Beijing anomaly. It appears that most of eastern China is a section of plate bridged across an ocean with more volume than the Arctic ocean.

DavisBJ

… Some religious leaders such as the Pope thought he should interpret the Bible based on the 'science' of his day. Galileo and other Christians fortunately rejected religion, and consensus science that differed from what God's Word really says.
If that is true, then not a single honest person who read “what God's Word really says” should have ever believed in geocentrism, and Copernican ideas should have always been the norm. Apparently you think that for more than a millennium the rejection of God’s word was on a level not seen since the days of Noah.

“Galileo at Work” – a good book you should read. Contrary to your twisted portrayal of Galileo’s motivations, in fact he took a huge step towards simply following evidence. Sure, that lead him into conflict with the religious authorities of his day who demanded an ultra-literal interpretation of the Bible, just as you fundamentalists demand that Genesis be read as a literal scientifically accurate account. If you had the power the ecclesiastical leaders wielded in Galileo’s day, you would shut down huge sections of the science departments in every major university. And my freedom, and possible my life, would be forfeit for the ideas I have espoused in these forums.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Here are some of the geologists who see the subterranean waters as 'the deep,' from my bibliography: Oard, Ager, Silvestru, Walker, Nurre, Clemens, Baugh. Some are also Christians. Brown was helpful but I don't think he ever integrated tectonics.

I reread your post about the 10 miles and it seems that you answered your own question about extremes reached closer than 300.

Another area of study related to all this is the Beijing anomaly. It appears that most of eastern China is a section of plate bridged across an ocean with more volume than the Arctic ocean.
Your bibliography is a joke

DavisBJ

I don’t recall anyone in the Bible, speaking about the creation, personally saying “Here is what I saw.” Who you got in mind?
Not 'what I saw'... but 'what I did', (from Book of Job)
Wow, keen. I thought a human wrote the book of Job. I had been told that the only time God “took pen and paper” was when He personally engraved the Ten Commandments into rock. But you say the account in Job is God recording His own first-person account?

And … I don’t see much in Job about the creation at all. There are some rhetorical question from God about where Job was when God was cobbling the earth together, but almost none of the detail in Genesis that creationists demand be taken literally.

gcthomas

Bridged across an ocean? You gotta be kidding.

The seismic attenuation in the mantle is expected to be due to 0.1% by weight of water embedded into the crystal structure of the solid mantle rocks. Hardly a bridged ocean. :nono:

Interplanner

Bridged across an ocean? You gotta be kidding.

The seismic attenuation in the mantle is expected to be due to 0.1% by weight of water embedded into the crystal structure of the solid mantle rocks. Hardly a bridged ocean. :nono:

Sorry I don't have the item handy. But that was the summary observation about it. I don't know how deep the mantle was but the readings showed the entire east of China to be a mantle above an ocean, and that above either another layer or magma.

How exactly does magma interface with subterranean water? I don't know. Is it a repeat of what is seen at the lowest depths where there is ongoing seismic rift and activity?

DavisBJ

…Don't we both think Alfred Wegener was basically correct? We just fundamentally disagree on the time frame.
Then I assume what we call Pangaea is what you view as the pre-flood world, and the current arrangement of continents is the post-flood world. What scientific evidence can you offer supporting the breakup and spread of Pangaea as occurring within the past few thousand years?
I think you are agreeing that there is evidence the entire world has been under water at one time or another.
I would only agree with the clarification that at no time in recent geological history was the entire world submerged at the same time.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Then I assume what we call Pangaea is what you view as the pre-flood world, and the current arrangement of continents is the post-flood world. What scientific evidence can you offer supporting the breakup and spread of Pangaea as occurring within the past few thousand years?

I would only agree with the clarification that at no time in recent geological history was the entire world submerged at the same time.

Isn't it humbling that we have no recorded history beyond 6,000 years or so ? :)

Interplanner

In certain places of the world that would otherwise seem to be a long ways from each other, there are similarities in accounts about cosmology or a deluge or artefacts from 'opposite' areas that are found. There are face types in carvings from S. America that are clearly African and Asian. The divided earth that Genesis refers to is recent enough to support that, just consider before and after the division.

I find the whole realm of geomorphology to be up in the air. That deals with the question: what do things look like when they have been sitting around a million years vs 5000? I'm not very convinced by the million year old looks! When Ayers Rock is supposed to be MsYO in surroundings that MsYO but the granite particles are poorly sorted and jagged (meaning it happened recently) you have to stop thinking it is MsYO. I understand the same thing happened when Pluto was removed from the planet list: too many people realized that the mountains were 'extremely younger than the Rockies.' Not that that proved anything about the Rockies!

One super-fault in S. Africa is known to have happened in a moment and was an adjustment of mantle pressures that shifted 1500 meters in height, as I recall. Who needs time when things that large can change that fast?

Besides statements in Job and Psalms about the earth (mantle) being pulled down or lifted up, the Nordic deluge legend mentions these things as well. I don't know about the whole mantle being submerged at once or that it needed to be, but there was a catastrophic event that pulled down, submerged, pushed up, broke apart, crashed piece into piece. Seafloor shells and fossils are found out in the middle of all continents and most mountain tops.

6days

DavisBJ said:

Thanks for your answer. The article I quoted did give one possible answer.
Gaines Johnson, a Christian geologist and author of*“The Bible, Genesis and Geology”explains this occurrence from a scientific standpoint:“Geysers occur when waters in underground chambers are heated by the surrounding host rock until the pressure and temperature cause them to flash to steam and erupt upwards. When the chamber is emptied, replacement water flows back into the chamber, the replacement water is heated, and the cycle repeats. An excellent example of this is seen in Yellowstone National Park’s “Old Faithful” geyser. !
Also keep in mind that Bible deniers / evolutionists in the past made statements like this ""Additionally, because only 1.7% of the earth's water is stored underground,*there is not nearly enough water in groundwater storage beneath the earth's surface to account for the amount of water necessary to flood the entire earth to the extent described in the Bible."
Research is revealing instead of 1.7%, the correct number is likely over 100%. It's an exciting time to be a Christian!

Also... keep in mind that the water trapped underground now, is likely far,far less than it was before the flood. The Bible tells us that the earth that existed then was destroyed.*

Interplanner

Thanks for your answer. The article I quoted did give one possible answer.
Gaines Johnson, a Christian geologist and author of*“The Bible, Genesis and Geology”explains this occurrence from a scientific standpoint:“Geysers occur when waters in underground chambers are heated by the surrounding host rock until the pressure and temperature cause them to flash to steam and erupt upwards. When the chamber is emptied, replacement water flows back into the chamber, the replacement water is heated, and the cycle repeats. An excellent example of this is seen in Yellowstone National Park’s “Old Faithful” geyser. !
Also keep in mind that Bible deniers / evolutionists in the past made statements like this ""Additionally, because only 1.7% of the earth's water is stored underground,*there is not nearly enough water in groundwater storage beneath the earth's surface to account for the amount of water necessary to flood the entire earth to the extent described in the Bible."
Research is revealing instead of 1.7%, the correct number is likely over 100%. It's an exciting time to be a Christian!

Also... keep in mind that the water trapped underground now, is likely far,far less than it was before the flood. The Bible tells us that the earth that existed then was destroyed.*

Good sources again 6days thanks. But a question on the last line because it could easily go two ways. I thought world meant 'society' or 'civilization.' If you actually destroy the earth of that time...you have to create a new one. But that's not what happened.

Also in terms of water and earth being reciprocals: if you meant that the soil/mantle/ground of that time was destroyed, the amount of water needed to keep the same size earth would have to have been increased. And how do you 'destroy' soil/mantle/ground without incinerating it? That's not what happened.

As you may know, there is a theory that the earth was smaller in the past and has been increased through fundamental changes in the mantle and the continents.

Interplanner

... If you ignore the proto-writing dating to 8600 years ago.

Since I just came across one of those lines that late-dated the OT because it thought, from a uniformitarian view, that there could not have been writing of the kind mentioned until the 5th century BC, I thought the following reminder might help here: that there was actually a very complex society and advanced technology before the deluge and we do not have many of the skills etc that they had. So I don't know what proto-writing GCThomas had in mind, but that is not the record. The record is that what was immediately very advanced from the creation has declined to be less efficient and capable in our day. There are countless examples of things built and methods used in that beginning that we can't even get started on these days.

Hedshaker

Dear Hedshaker,

I'm not engaging in a logical fallacy.

No matter you spin it Michael, what you espouse is a logical fallacy. Please don't take my word for it, see for yourself. Just type "Argument Ad Populum" into your search engine and learn:

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so.
"

You are hardly a scholar on the Bible, but same of us grew up with the Bible until we were old, like now. I still learn more of the Bible, even at my age. And I've learned A Lot from the Bible.

What are you taking about? I've never claimed to be a Bible scholar. Enough with the straw man arguments,

It is not just a holy book. It surpasses that by far. It is a book which guides your morals, history, science, and most of all, a relationship with A Divine Creator Who Is Far Beyond Surpassing and Extremely Extraordinary. Words just cannot be found to explain Him. Maybe in Heaven, they will give us some new words. Just Incredible and Awesome.

That may be your opinion Michael but certainly isn't mine. Even if I was in need of moral guidance the last place I would look for it would be the Bible, nor would I trust in it for accurate history and certainly not science. There is no scientific theory for a talking snake{they don't have the larynges), a virgin birth, and man walking on water, feeding 5000 people on a fish sandwich, un-fermented water turning into wine ........... or a clinically dead man reanimating back to life after being clinically dead for three days. So no, least of all science Nor do I see any reason to believe there is any such thing as a "Divine creator."

And you share none of that!! Oh Hedshaker, the things you are missing out on because you don't have the right guidance. It is a crying shame and a bummer. I hope someday you will change your mind. Someone screwed up your life or your thinking and now your left without and stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wish I could help you. That's up to you.

Thanks for your concern Michael but I am quite sure truth is on my side, not yours. And to stay on topic, Like it or not, all the evidence points to the Theory of evolution

All the best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.