Ark contents

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You have probably heard it said that 3 items were placed inside the Ark of the Covenant.
stone tablets​
jar of manna​
Arron's rod​

That notion is basically taken from a reading of:
Hebrews 9 ESV
(3) Behind the second curtain was a second section called the Most Holy Place,
(4) having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, in which was a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant.

But is that the correct meaning?
We have OT verses that directly contradict that there was anything placed inside the Ark except stone tablets.

1 Kings 8 ESV
(9) There was nothing in the ark except the two tablets of stone that Moses put there at Horeb, where the LORD made a covenant with the people of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt.
2 Chronicles 5 ESV
(10) There was nothing in the ark except the two tablets that Moses put there at Horeb, where the LORD made a covenant with the people of Israel, when they came out of Egypt.

We can find scripture that directly says the stone tablets were placed inside the Ark.

Exodus 25 ESV
(16) And you shall put into the ark the testimony that I shall give you.
Exodus 25 ESV
(21) And you shall put the mercy seat on the top of the ark, and in the ark you shall put the testimony that I shall give you.

But the jar of manna and the staff of Arron are not said to be placed inside the Ark but are placed before the Ark.

Exodus 16 ESV​
(33) And Moses said to Aaron, Take a jar, and put an omer of manna in it, and place it before the LORD to be kept throughout your generations.​
Numbers 17 ESV​
(10) And the LORD said to Moses, Put back the staff of Aaron before the testimony, to be kept as a sign for the rebels, that you may make an end of their grumblings against me, lest they die.​

So how do we reconcile the seemingly contradiction?
With the use of Greek grammar.
Let me repost the Hebrews verse,

Hebrews 9 ESV
(3) Behind the second curtain was a second section called the Most Holy Place,
(4) having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, in which was a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant.

The word in question is "in" and the meaning of the word.

Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics in Exegetical Syntax in the New Testament

there are 7 meanings of the Greek word translated "in".
spatial​
temporal (having to do with time)​
association
cause​
instrumental​
reference​
respect​
manner​

I highlighted association in green because with it's meaning there would be no contradiction because the jar of manna and the rod of Arron are certainly associated with the Ark while not being inside the Ark.