Anyone working on next year's schedule yet?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Man! This is a pain! In Indiana, we have to keep attendance for 180 days. We take off from the day before Thanksgiving to the first weekday after :jessilu:'s birthday (Jan. 3) for our winter break and a week and a day for Easter.

So, I'm at the point where we either have to do 6 days of school a week, if we want to start and end the same way we always do (start the day after Labor Day and end around Memorial Day) or start three weeks early and end three weeks late.

If we do the first one, :jessilu: will be in school when her friends are off on Saturdays. If we do the second one, she will be in school a week early and out two weeks later than her friends.

I'm always so busy the month between Thanksgiving and :jessilu:'s birthday and the week of Easter that I have to have that time to deal with all of that.

I wish we had more local homeschoolers than we do.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Um, how do they (and who is they?) know you've kept attendance for 180 days?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I keep attendance on a printed out chart that I make. And, if the superintendant of schools asks for it, I have it and can hand it to him.

Christine

Originally posted by Lucky

Um, how do they (and who is they?) know you've kept attendance for 180 days?
For the record, not all states require homeschoolers to keep records. For instance, Ohio does not. Ohio does say that we should be in school for 180 days (or something similiar) but we just stay in as long as it takes to complete our course of study. If we get it done in less days, fine. If it takes us longer, fine.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billwald

Fake it.

:chuckle: I could do that. But, I wouldn't be able to do it well. I'm not good at lying at all.

Christine

Originally posted by ebenz47037

:chuckle: I could do that. But, I wouldn't be able to do it well. I'm not good at lying at all.
What is the actual law for Indiana? It could be that you don't need to really use 180 days.

Christine

:nori:

I looked up Indiana's laws on www.hslda.org It seems that there's a "loophole."
"Attendance: Same as the public schools; Generally, 180 days per year" It doesn't say that you have to be "in school" 180 days.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For Indiana (from www.hslda.org[/url): [quote]Indian...idn't notice the word "generally" in the law.

Just_A_Mom

Schedule?

Did someone say schedule?

:shocked:

Thanks for the reminder...!

We don't have to turn in an attendance record, per say, just a general "term" which is the same standard statement, "school in session from September __ through May 31st."

I like to plan out my breaks though, so I know if we'll finish the books or not by May 31st.

I'll get to it...oh probably after July 4th week-end.

I tend to over plan.

I start out with great intentions though...:D

Melody

living in TX it is easier for us to homeschool during the summer than during the fall.

We take the month of October off because that is when the weather is the nicest.

It's too hot to go outside during the summer anyways so that is when we homeschool.