Another new member

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Welcome. :e4e: From Indiana to Florida, eh? :think: Well, Pensacola is a military town so you'll find people from all over. I have it on good authority that only a handful of us were actually born in Florida and we all now live elsewhere, so don't let any of the "locals" give you guff about being new. :D

Once you adjust to August you'll be right as rain. :cheers:

misstoast

Do you plan on staying a while to visit? Many people just introduce themselves and wander off.

I certainly plan on hanging around, time permitting. Theology and philosophy are two areas I have been trying to educate myself about since returning to church. I also like to try and see where other people are coming from with regards to their faith; this really helps with providing patient care a lot of times.

misstoast

Greetings, madam. :)

Why don't you raise your own child instead of sending her to school for strangers to raise?

Because those people are not strangers to her, that's why.

My daughter and I have been on our own since 2003; I have only recently began attending church myself, within the last 3 years in fact. My daughter has attended the baptist church of her grandparents in Pensacola every summer since she was small. Shall she attend Latin Mass with me every week and then be forbidden to go to their church to be with people she has pretty much known all of her life? She understands the differences between the two faiths for the most part. She also understands that half of the nonsense Catholicism is accused of being is false. So I really don't know what the best thing to do is at this point.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps, if I didn't have to work. Well, even then her and I would be sick of each other, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Actually, this is one of the great things about home-schooling: you don't have to have a traditional (8 am to 3 pm) schedule. My late husband worked grave yard shift (11 pm to 7 am), Wednesday thru Sunday. We had school, basically, from 2 pm to 6 pm, Wednesday thru Sunday. My daughter's breaks aligned with my husband's vacations from work.

As to getting sick of each other, that's not really a huge problem once both the parent and the child get used to the schedule. I only had one semester where I had anything close to that. It was the first semester of her fourth grade year, right after my husband passed away. But, our thing wasn't really that we were sick of each other. My husband was an organ donor so my daughter thought that I gave the doctors permission to kill him to get his organs. But, such is the logic of a nine year old girl (she's now twenty-one). You can always ask her grandparents to help out with teaching, if that really is a problem, though.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can't even remember who came up with that; I thought it had something to do with a dry sense of humor? I've been using it as my alias for a long time though.

:chuckle: I think I like that reason better than what I thought it was. I was wondering why you miss toast so much that you would use those two words as your user name here. :chuckle:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:chuckle: I think I like that reason better than what I thought it was. I was wondering why you miss toast so much that you would use those two words as your user name here. :chuckle:

I was thinking she was on the Atkins diet.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum.

I am 30 years old and I will be relocating to Pensacola soon. I have been looking into prospective schools for my little girl, who will be going into the sixth grade. One of the schools I am interested in had a selection of past senior thesis statements available online. One argued for the death penalty and the institution of mosaic law in the United States. That paper lead me to this forum, particularly to the Death Penalty Debate thread.

I am a Roman Catholic. My relatives, whom we will be staying with for a while until I am situated in my job, are Independent Fundamentalist Baptist. I hate to say it, but I'm torn in this school hunt.

Hello misstoast, ma'am. :e4e:

Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what's on your mind and have a biscuit or two.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cow tippin' in one thing, but kickin' 'em is just plain rude!

Ah, well...as long as you ain't thievin' the horses it's ok.

I did that when I was a kid! :chuckle: It helped that I lived in Gallo vineyards/dairies general vicinity.