A Canadian Teenager looking for God

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It appears to me that the experience experience of our friend in the Great White North is much like both myself, and CH Spurgeon as he describes here :

"The thought struck me, How did you come to be a Christian? I sought the Lord. But how did you come to seek the Lord? The truth flashed across my mind in a moment—I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, How came I to pray? I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. How came I to read the Scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."

Ah Spurgeon!

DaveDodo007

Hello, everybody

I became a Christian 2 years ago and have since indulged myself in theology searching for answers,

On paper I'm an Anglican, though I have some gripes about our Church politics,

I consider myself conservative, I'm a theological mess being both Catholic and Protestant in my views, I'm a bit fickle but I'm working out it,

I hope this is a place I can make some friends and develope a better understanding of God

A Canadian Teenager looking for God?

He's dead, sorry but you did ask.

lifeisgood

Hello, everybody

I became a Christian 2 years ago and have since indulged myself in theology searching for answers,

You will find some answers in some posts, but not ALL the answers. You will find all your answers in the Bible. The problem is how do I do that? [Isaiah 28:10].

I consider myself conservative, I'm a theological mess being both Catholic and Protestant in my views, I'm a bit fickle but I'm working out it,

That's a problem, being both Catholic/Protestant. That is impossible, because one will nullify the other.

How about forgetting about being a Catholic or a Protestant or anything else for that matter, and become only a Christ follower instead?

Having accepted the price Jesus paid for you on the Cross of Calvary, then you are neither a Catholic nor a Protestant, or anything else --- you are a Christian.

Being a Christian, you must know that you are washed on the blood of the Lamb and because of that no height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate you from the love of God, but that loves is in Christ Jesus our Lord, because He has paid too much for you. (Romans 8:39). And DO NOT LET some people tell you that this is not true. Hang on to this for dear life. It is true! No matter the circumstances.

Keep renovating your acceptance of His Plan every day like Luke 9:23-24 says.

To get to God I have to go to Christ.
To get to Christ I have to go to the Cross.
To get to the Cross I have to deny myself (I cannot do anything to deserve this).

This has to be done EVERY DAY. It does not mean that you have to be born again. It means that you have to renew what you did two years ago.

How many works did you have to do for Him to adopt you into His family? NONE.

How may works do you have to do now to keep in the family of God? NONE.

He did it all on the Cross. You are His. No matter what.

NOW, this does not mean that we do not have to pray, go to church, read the bible, do good deeds, etc., but none of these things can keep you into what you are already in --- into the family of God.

Keep asking questions, retain what is good [agrees with the Bible], and throw the rest in the garbage.

lifeisgood

Having been introduced to the gospels at about 11 and been thoroughly unimpressed (then and ever since)....

You have chosen to reject what the Gospels proclaim --- the Cross of Christ.

You do not reject the Cross of Christ because of theological ground (too difficult to understand) but because of moral ground (because you do not have to do anything and you want to).

That's why you are unimpressed --- because the Gospels do not ask you to do anything --- the Gospels ask you to BELIEVE something --- believe and you will be saved because you accepted the free gift of salvation.

The converse is also true --- do not believe and be lost.

Free will galore here! It is not God's choice any more --- it is ours.

He already did everything He had to do for us, now it is up to us to believe it or not / accept it or reject it.

If I believe I will accept, if I accept I want more --- where do I find more? In the Gospels.

Newman

I'm a theological mess being both Catholic and Protestant in my views, I'm a bit fickle but I'm working out it,

Three things:

1) Welcome! TOL's an awesome place.

2) Don't feel like you have to work everything out. Some things are ok for you just to throw your hands up and say, "I don't know, but God still loves me and I love Him."

3) Consider keeping a journal of your ideology, to see how it changes, what influences it, who played a role, what scripture caught your eye, things that TOL members said that really made you think, etc. You're in a unique position (if indeed you are on the fence on the whole Catholic/Protestant thing) to learn a lot about yourself.