3 Stages of Truth

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All truth passes through 3 stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

-----

Intelligent Design appears to have reached stage 2.
:rotfl:

Johnny

I see a lot of ridicule and violent opposition to evolution in the Christian church. Does that leave it on the brink of accepting it as self-evident? I know you were trying to make a point with this thread, but the old theory in crisis battleshout has been used for over 100 years. It is no more true today than it was 100 years ago.

"Today, at the dawn of the new century, nothing is more certain than that Darwinism has lost its prestige among men of science. It has seen its day and will soon be reckoned a thing of the past. A few decades hence when people will look back upon the history of the doctrine of Descent, they will confess that the years between 1860 and 1880 were in many respects a time of carnival; and the enthusiasm which at that time took possession of the devotees of natural science will appear to them as the excitement attending some mad revel." Eberhard Dennert 1904

Last edited:

Letsargue

bob b said:
All truth passes through 3 stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

-----

---No, sometimes the Truth, the Word is rejected and cast out, or nailed to a tree for all to see their handy work.
----------------Paul---

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
I see a lot of ridicule and violent opposition to evolution in the Christian church. Does that leave it on the brink of accepting it as self-evident? I know you were trying to make a point with this thread, but the old theory in crisis battleshout has been used for over 100 years. It is no more true today than it was 100 years ago.

"Today, at the dawn of the new century, nothing is more certain than that Darwinism has lost its prestige among men of science. It has seen its day and will soon be reckoned a thing of the past. A few decades hence when people will look back upon the history of the doctrine of Descent, they will confess that the years between 1860 and 1880 were in many respects a time of carnival; and the enthusiasm which at that time took possession of the devotees of natural science will appear to them as the excitement attending some mad revel." Eberhard Dennert 1904

Welcome back, Johnny.

Finished with your research on the rarity of proteins?

Tell us what you found.

Daniel50

bob b said:
Arthur Schopenhauer

-----

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

hatsoff

bob b said:
Arthur Schopenhauer

-----

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the words of some 19th-century philosopher are not automatically true just because you want them to be.

Intelligent Design is a farce. I wish everyone could accept that, but for now the vast majority scientific opinion must do.

Sealeaf

hatsoff said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the words of some 19th-century philosopher are not automatically true just because you want them to be.

Intelligent Design is a farce. I wish everyone could accept that, but for now the vast majority scientific opinion must do.
Works for me.
Looks like the "ridicule" stage is as far as intellegent design has gotten. The philosopher may or may not be right about the stages of acceptance of a true idea. I notice he never claimed that because an idea goes through stages one and two it necessarily goes on to stage three. The stages for wrong, false, ideas are: 1) ridicule 2 discussion 3) abandonment. ID has made it to stage two.

Actually stage one is, "Proposal by someone with a hidden agenda."

To someone with a knowledge of biology there is no evidence of intellegent design but, if evolution is not the explanation of the diversity of species, then there is evidence of unindellegent design. Either, life evolved or the creator is a dunce.

Johnny

One Eyed Jack said:
Violent opposition?
Yes, in the same context bob b is using it. Not literal violence, of course.

Frank Ernest said:
Yup. For lie-berals :Any Disagreement: = :Violent Opposition:
Yup. For delusional right-wing-nuts :any disagreement: = :"lie-beral":

Helps to justify their hysterical police state.
Classifying disagreement as lie-beral helps you cope with your absurd positions.

(I can play this stupid game too)

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sealeaf said:
Either, life evolved or the creator is a dunce.

I prefer to think that people who believe life evolved are the dunces. :rotfl:

SUTG

Sealeaf said:
I notice he never claimed that because an idea goes through stages one and two it necessarily goes on to stage three.

Din, ding, ding - we have a winner!

As sealeaf has pointed out, just because ID is ridiculed and/or violently opposed, it does not follow (even according to Schopenhauer) that it is true, or that it will be accepted as self-evident.