Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I thought it had more to say than most, though since Iron Man jump started the Marvel domination I've only really cared for a few. The first Iron Man, the first Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man, oddly enough, as a lower key alternative. Haven't seen Deadpool. I won't mourn the passing of the genre when it eventually (God willing) gives way.
Deadpool may be a Marvel character but with film rights it's not part of the MCU [Avengers & Guardians].

Breathe

I watch every show I can find on climbing everest, and feel the same way. Then I remember that I can't stand to have cold feet...

I remember that movie.

In my younger days I thought it would be so cool to go into the wilderness and live off the land.
Then my husband reminded me that I couldn't even have a backyard bar-b-que without complaining about the mosquitoes.

hehe!
I'm such a Sissy.
(((Get it ---- 'Sissy')))

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like The Force Awakens more and more each time I watch it. It is Star Wars again, unlike those fart joke laced prequels.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was walking my son through some of the greatest movie themes I could think of today...we play a memory game using bits like that. A few of my favorites...

Lawrence of Arabia
: a great movie with a central theme that is a haunting, lyrical representation of the dessert. It was playing in my mind the first time I walked along the edge of the Sahara toward evening. Brilliant.

Gone With the Wind: like every great movie theme on this list it matches its subject. In this case it's sentimental, sweeping, and a little overblown.

Jaws: rarely have so few notes evoked so much response.

Star Wars: more than a couple of tremendous themes, but the primary remains an all time classic.

Raiders of the Lost Arc
: probably my favorite theme by Williams, removing it from the film would be like taking Indy's hat.

Chariots of Fire: while the instrumentation is dated, the theme is pure magic.

ET: a one way ticket to childhood. As with Raiders, it captures its subject completely.

James Bond: nothing understated here, but guaranteed to leave you stirred, if not shaken.

The Godfather: subtle, haunting, beautiful.

LOTR: the principle theme is a sinewy, dark thread of a thing fitted into a crown of supporting themes and movements like a gem.

Additionally:

The Untouchables
Meet Joe Black
Aliens
Rocky
The Pink Panter
Batman (Elfman)
The Natural

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Watching The Bourne Legacy right now :thumb:

heckuva lot better than Jason Bourne

finished The Bourne Legacy :thumb:

watched Jason Bourne - what a disappointment :nono:

currently in the middle of The Marauders - so far I like it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It was awesome! Especially in3D. I'm ready to see it again.
Still haven't seen it yet. Would you rank it in the top ten Marvel comic book adaptations? Is it mostly impressive special effects or is the plot worth investing in? I know the acting was solid because they put together a terrific cast, but I always wonder if the draw was the product or the sound of a cash register ringing for all involved.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Still haven't seen it yet. Would you rank it in the top ten Marvel comic book adaptations? Is it mostly impressive special effects or is the plot worth investing in? I know the acting was solid because they put together a terrific cast, but I always wonder if the draw was the product or the sound of a cash register ringing for all involved.
That's a lot of movie adaptations, many of them just plain bad. Of course the bad ones are outside the MCU. And I'm not including anything outside of live action movies.

There are less than twenty MCU movies at this point, and I'm not sure I'd put this one in the top five, at least IMO. And I went to a late night showing after having gotten up very early for work that day, so I started zoning out at the end of the movie drifting in and out of sleep. But it was still a great story. And I want to see it again. The visuals were amazing and the 3D added something to them, rather than just being there, which in turn added something to the story. This is a movie I think would be amazing in VR.

Iron Man
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War

Those are probably my top 5 in the MCU, in order of release.

As for Marvel adaptations overall, throw in Deadpool, X2, Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Blade 2 to get my top 10. Those are in the order I could think of them at this time. If I'd turned around I could have looked at the release order...:chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm watching Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders right now. Very enjoyable. I think [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION] would love it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's a lot of movie adaptations, many of them just plain bad. Of course the bad ones are outside the MCU. And I'm not including anything outside of live action movies.

There are less than twenty MCU movies at this point, and I'm not sure I'd put this one in the top five, at least IMO. And I went to a late night showing after having gotten up very early for work that day, so I started zoning out at the end of the movie drifting in and out of sleep. But it was still a great story. And I want to see it again. The visuals were amazing and the 3D added something to them, rather than just being there, which in turn added something to the story. This is a movie I think would be amazing in VR.

Iron Man
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War

Those are probably my top 5 in the MCU, in order of release.

As for Marvel adaptations overall, throw in Deadpool, X2, Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Blade 2 to get my top 10. Those are in the order I could think of them at this time. If I'd turned around I could have looked at the release order...:chuckle:
Still haven't seen Deadpool (have to work that around Jack).
My favorite five...

1. Guardians is easily the top of my list. I don't even think of it in the same category, just a great science fiction/adventure movie.

2. Iron Man is my favorite of the super hero movies. It had gravitas. Took its time to set up the exploration of Stark's character.

3...then Captain America (the first). Tucci and an eye for character development made it resonate with me in a way most of them didn't. "I had a date." Hard to beat that for angst.

4. I'd also place Ant Man fourth, as a surprise that worked on just about every level.

Five is harder...I don't feel as strongly about any of the rest, though more than a few were enjoyable enough. Maybe Strange will occupy this slot at some point. :idunno:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Fall on Netflix (three seasons) is worth a view. A psychological thriller involving a female British criminal investigator (Sculley, X-Files!) and a serial killer set in Belfast.

AMR

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Fall on Netflix (three seasons) is worth a view. A psychological thriller involving a female British criminal investigator (Sculley, X-Files!) and a serial killer set in Belfast.

AMR
I'm watching that one.
Sculley's character is so much different than X-files.

The serial killer gets caught and confesses.
He takes police to a woodland area where a body is supposed to be.
A distraught husband of one of his victims shoots him and puts him in the hospital where he survives.
But he has lost his memory due to his injuries.
They cannot prosecute him for crimes he is not aware of.
So the race is on to prove if he is faking the "memory loss" or not.

Shouldn't this be in the TV thread?
Yes.