What are the commands of the new covenant?

Epoisses

I believe Jesus observed and taught the old covenant. Are these also new covenant commands? They were affirmed by Jesus in the New Testament scriptures. I have nothing against old covenant commands. I don't know what commands in the Bible would be considered new covenant commands.

Jesus' entire ministry was still under the old covenant prior to the cross. He lived an old covenant law based life for the most part. It was a transition period where he was introducing many new covenant ideas like faith and love but still bound to the demands of the law. After the cross a much different message went out which was all about grace. It's not what we do anymore it is what Christ has already accomplished past tense.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus' entire ministry was still under the old covenant prior to the cross. He lived an old covenant law based life for the most part. It was a transition period where he was introducing many new covenant ideas like faith and love but still bound to the demands of the law. After the cross a much different message went out which was all about grace. It's not what we do anymore it is what Christ has already accomplished past tense.

I know about what Christ accomplished at the cross.

His teaching did include love and faith. These were taught in the Torah and the rest of the TaNaKh.

Yes, the gospel is about grace. Throughout time people are to love God because of God's love for them. God demonstrates His own love toward us in this that while we were still/yet sinners Christ died for us. I believe salvation has always been by grace through faith. It is my belief that it has never been by works.

Romans 9:30-33

30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 just as it is written,

"BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE,
AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."
NASU

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You really don't know what he has accomplished because you are so focused on yourself and your law keeping.

Obeying God's commands is about God and your neighbor. Some of God's commands pertain to taking care of yourself. It's not about being focused on yourself in the way you are saying. Nor is it about law keeping. Keeping the law is good, of course. But law keeping for salvation will never do.

Epoisses

Obeying God's commands is about God and your neighbor. Some of God's commands pertain to taking care of yourself. It's not about being focused on yourself in the way you are saying. Nor is it about law keeping. Keeping the law is good, of course. But law keeping for salvation will never do.

This is fleshly obedience where you are trying in your own strength to be good. You are frustrating God's grace by doing this and resisting the Holy Spirit. You need to rest in Christ and stop working.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This is fleshly obedience where you are trying in your own strength to be good. You are frustrating God's grace by doing this and resisting the Holy Spirit. You need to rest in Christ and stop working.

Obeying God in truth or truly obeying God is not of the flesh. Therefore, obedience to God is not legalism.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you do not know what commands are required for the new covenant, then what commands are you obeying?

The commands found in the Bible. This is commands found in Torah and the rest of the TaNaKh, and the New Testament writings including or beginning with the commands or teaching of Jesus.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The commands found in the Bible. This is commands found in Torah and the rest of the TaNaKh, and the New Testament writings including or beginning with the commands or teaching of Jesus.
Galatians 3:10-12 KJV
(10) For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Galatians 3:10-12 KJV
(10) For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
Shalom. I encourage you to be open to understanding these scriptures rightly. For example, the law is good. So then, we need to understand what Paul is saying. Shalom. Jacob.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Shalom. To what do you refer? Shalom. Jacob.

But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:25)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:25)​
Shalom! I believe you are referring to the perfect law of liberty. Shalom. Jacob.