The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Every time I hear or read someone who says that the Bible teaches a flat earth, I always point out that the leader of the flat earth society is an atheist with close ties to evolution and the Big Bang.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Very few in Flat earth are evolutionists it does not fit with evolution, the majority are Christian and some are pantheists/pan-en-theists who believe in intelligent design or Genesis creation.

--Dave

musterion

I'm defending the flat earth model for this debate.

--Dave

If you believe FE really is true, okay, whatever. Each answers to his own Master.

If you believe FE is false, then you're defending what you believe is a lie in the interest of stirring up unedifying strife and pointless, foolish contention (as that's all this thread has done). Christ is not pleased by that.

I tell you nothing you don't already know there, but it seems you badly needed reminding.

musterion

Flat earth is a growing movement today and I think it needs to be addressed.

--Dave

Several of us follow there matters and, for myself, I've not heard of anything like a growing presence of FE. The odd website or crank YT video doesn't really count--I bet I can find a bigger represeentation for "Christian" (non-Mormon) polygamy (they're out there).

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you believe FE really is true, okay, whatever. Each answers to his own Master.

If you believe FE is false, then you're defending what you believe is a lie in the interest of stirring up unedifying strife and pointless, foolish contention (as that's all this thread has done). Christ is not pleased by that.

I tell you nothing you don't already know there, but it seems you badly needed reminding.

As if you know the mind of Christ.

I'm guilty of the sin of "debate", :darwinsm:

--Dave

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I'm defending the flat earth model for this debate.

--Dave

Your doing a very bad job.Unanswered questions, unsupported assertions, condescending attitude. You have not made one compelling argument for your "client". As a member of the jury watching your presentation I have no reason to find in favor of your client. Try harder.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You did not see the video on the sun that I posted so your wrong about the flat earth model. One can always reject a straw man.

--Dave
I don't want to watch a video. I am discussing this with you, I can't interact with a video. If you hold any opinion at all on any matter you should be able to verbalize it in your own words when you defend it. We are not discussing a super technical issue here. This should be something you could easily explain to me without referencing a video.

The time lapse video I posted show that the earth gets smaller as it sets.
But the sun does NOT get smaller when it sets.

Furthermore... based on your model the sun would never "set". It would only get smaller at night, it would never go down below the horizon.

Dave... why does the sun sink down below the horizon?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just to summarize....

Dave, based on this model...

View attachment 25418

The sunset should look something like a disc on it's side slowly getting smaller like this image I made... (it should never sink below the horizon)

View attachment 25430

Yet instead it doesn't look like a disc on it's side, and it sinks behind the horizon, like this...

View attachment 25431

Why does the sun sink down below the horizon?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Just to summarize....

Dave, based on this model...

View attachment 25418

The sunset should look something like a disc on it's side slowly getting smaller like this image I made... (it should never sink below the horizon)

View attachment 25430

Yet instead it doesn't look like a disc on it's side, and it sinks behind the horizon, like this...

View attachment 25431

Why does the sun sink down below the horizon?
Just so you're aware, attachments to posts aren't showing up on the mobile app...

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't want to watch a video. I am discussing this with you, I can't interact with a video. If you hold any opinion at all on any matter you should be able to verbalize it in your own words when you defend it. We are not discussing a super technical issue here. This should be something you could easily explain to me without referencing a video.

But the sun does NOT get smaller when it sets.

Furthermore... based on your model the sun would never "set". It would only get smaller at night, it would never go down below the horizon.

Dave... why does the sun sink down below the horizon?

A time lapse video was posted so you could "see" the visual evidence of how the sun moves across the sky on a flat earth, if you don't want to see it then you're just sticking you're head in the sand of a fake globe earth. Videos are not only acceptable they are necessary for this debate.

The sun drops below the vanishing point of our horizon line that limits how far we can see, God did not give us "unlimited" viewing ability.

View attachment 25432 View attachment 25433

The clouds in these pics, and the sun, are not closer to the ground in the distance they seem that way because of how we view things in the distance. The ground rises up to our eye level and things in the sky drop down to our eye level and meet at the horizon line.

View attachment 25434

From this pic you can imagine the lower box to be a truck as it travels into the distance we view it going upward getting smaller as it gets further away from us. We can imagine the upper box to be the sun. As it travels away from us it gets lower and smaller until it reaches the horizon line and vanishes from our limited viewing distance. The sun, being much larger than a truck it can still be seen in the distance but once it travels past the horizon line we lose sight of it. Because the sun is much closer and much smaller than in the globe earth model, the light from it does not travel the great distance that the globe model does and does not illuminate the whole flat earth everywhere all at once.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your doing a very bad job.Unanswered questions, unsupported assertions, condescending attitude. You have not made one compelling argument for your "client". As a member of the jury watching your presentation I have no reason to find in favor of your client. Try harder.

You would be dismissed from the jury selection because of "bias".

--Dave

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A time lapse video was posted so you could "see" the visual evidence of how the sun moves across the sky on a flat earth, if you don't want to see it then you're just sticking you're head in the sand of a fake globe earth. Videos are not only acceptable they are necessary for this debate.
Dave I don't need a video to see how the sun moves across the sky. I can go outside and look for myself with my own eyes. And what I see doesn't remotely match what you are have been fooled into believing.

The sun drops below the vanishing point of our horizon line that limits how far we can see, God did not give us "unlimited" viewing ability.
I can understand that objects beyond my sight could get so small I couldn't see them but that dosn't match what the sun does. The sun clearly drops down behind the horizon at sunset. In fact the sun doesn't even get any smaller (at sunset) than when it's directly overhead. It drops down behind the horizon at sunset. You can see this as well. Everyone can.

View attachment 25432 View attachment 25433

The clouds in these pics, and the sun, are not closer to the ground in the distance they seem that way because of how we view things in the distance. The ground rises up to our eye level and things in the sky drop down to our eye level and meet at the horizon line.
One of the reasons the clouds appear to drop behind the horizon is partially do to the fact that the earth is a sphere and the the curvature of the earth pronounces the angle that the clouds merge into the the horizon line. It's not simply perspective that causes the clouds to fade from view and head towards the horizon line. If the earth were flat NOTHING (in the sky) could drop below the horizon line. While perspective might cause them to lower as the move farther away they could never cross the horizon line as that would be physically impossible (unless of course they were actually moving down beyond the edge of the flat earth itself but you have said this doesn't happen so that point is moot).

View attachment 25434

From this pic you can imagine the lower box to be a truck as it travels into the distance we view it going upward getting smaller as it gets further away from us. We can imagine the upper box to be the sun. As it travels away from us to gets lower and smaller until it reaches the horizon line and vanishes from our limited viewing distance. The sun, being much larger than a truck it can still be seen in the distance but once it travels past the horizon line we lose sight of it. Because the sun is much closer and much smaller than in the globe earth model, the light from it does not travel the great distance that the globe model does and does not illuminate the whole flat earth everywhere all at once.

--Dave
Based on your view what would happen is the sun would get really tiny and possibly near the horizon line (depending on how high you claim it sits) when it's furthest from me but that's NOT what happens. It's rather obvious what happens. The sun slowly sets a little bit at a time behind the horizon.

In fact.... there is a time at sunset when the sun is partially setting and some of it is behind the horizon while the rest of it is in full view, at full size. This fact completely and entirely debunks what you are trying to sell. This conversation is embarrassing for you. You are making a complete fool of yourself and should be ashamed.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave I don't need a video to see how the sun moves across the sky. I can go outside and look for myself with my own eyes. And what I see doesn't remotely match what you are have been fooled into believing.

I can understand that objects beyond my sight could get so small I couldn't see them but that dosn't match what the sun does. The sun clearly drops down behind the horizon at sunset. In fact the sun doesn't even get any smaller (at sunset) than when it's directly overhead. It drops down behind the horizon at sunset. You can see this as well. Everyone does.

One of the reasons the clouds appear to drop behind the horizon is partially do to the fact that the earth is a sphere and the the curvature of the earth pronounces the angle that the clouds merge into the the horizon line. It's not simply perspective that causes the clouds to fade from view and head towards the horizon line. If the earth were flat NOTHING (in the sky) could drop below the horizon line. While perspective might cause them to lower as the move farther away they could never cross the horizon line as that would be physically impossible (unless of course they were actually moving down beyond the edge of the flat earth itself but you have said this doesn't happen so that point is moot).

Based on your view what would happen is the sun would get really tiny and possibly near the horizon line (depending on how high you claim it sits) when it's furthest from me but that's NOT what happens. It's rather obvious what happens. The sun slowly sets a little bit at a time behind the horizon.

In fact.... there is a time at sunset when the sun is partially setting and some of it is behind the horizon while the rest of it is in full view, at full size. This fact completely and entirely debunks what you are trying to sell. This conversation is embarrassing for you. You are making a complete fool of yourself and should be ashamed.

You have never watched the sun, "all day", as rises, moves across the sky, and sets, so don't try to tell me that you "see" what's happening to it. Time lapse video shows us what's happening.

And don't tell me what I believe or don't believe about this or any thing else. I do quite well at explaining myself.

You can have your opinion like every one else, I will make clear my final opinion soon.

"Whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire", so be careful with personal commentary.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave take a close look at your perspective graphic....

View attachment 25434

Now you tell me...

Yes or No. Is there ever a point on that grid where objects in the sky would dip below the horizon line?

Yes, the clouds, sun, etc. in California are below the horizon line of every ones "limited" viewing distance from New York, where I live.

--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.