Homo Disney is getting more "out" with it

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I know a family who never lets their kids watch Disney, won't buy Disney merchandise and won't take them to Disneyland, and that's been for years now.

That's their decision to make for their kids, and it solves their Disney dilemma for them.

Disney was good for me growing up- you see, that's when parents could handle kids absorbing complex content and subliminal messages.

Their kids didn't turn out snowflakes.

Not anymore :rolleyes:

Disney's just stupid now anyway

musterion

Not making more homosexuals. I think okdoser had it right when he mentioned normalization (of course they wouldn't include the perversion part). The homosexuality community has struggled to gain acceptance and putting homosexual characters into movies or TV may help normalize it.

But it ISN'T normal. Never has been, never will be.

Lon

We weren't talking just about Disney, but also about being very culturally separated.

Even at that, I've seen plenty who are just fine. It is really just an uneducated guess to speculate (hope?) otherwise.

From what I have seen, and this not my expertise, but observation and experience: The legalistic tend to produce dysfunctional in their children, no matter who they are, even if the parent is mandating atheism. Kids espouse what their parents lovingly instill, hence "Train a child in the way they should go..." Of spiritual note: you and I (perhaps Art too) believe we are born with an image of God, therefore godliness will resonate true in them. I find it then, a bit of an oddity that anyone who embraces imago deo would find separation and good training an odd thing. I suppose, I would acquiesce a need for caution as well as herald a possibility of cultural shock danger. If that was the point, I missed it. -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Even at that, I've seen plenty who are just fine. It is really just an uneducated guess to speculate (hope?) otherwise.

No it's really not just an uneducated guess, I've seen plenty throughout my lifetime and lived it as well, so when it comes to anecdotes, I've got quite a few myself - and I've seen some kids who really don't handle the transition well if they've been too culturally separated. They have to go out in the world and function - in university, in careers, in their interactions with all kinds of people who don't live life the way they were brought up in.

From what I have seen, and this not my expertise, but observation and experience: The legalistic tend to produce dysfunctional in their children, no matter who they are, even if the parent is mandating atheism. Kids espouse what their parents lovingly instill, hence "Train a child in the way they should go..." Of spiritual note: you and I (perhaps Art too) believe we are born with an image of God, therefore godliness will resonate true in them. I find it then, a bit of an oddity that anyone who embraces imago deo would find separation and good training an odd thing. I suppose, I would acquiesce a need for caution as well as herald a possibility of cultural shock danger. If that was the point, I missed it. -Lon

From my own experience and observation: if you're (the general 'you,' not you personally) going to remove your children extremely far from the culture at large, I hope at least that you're Amish and have an entire community to support you. And don't teach your kids that they're better than other people by virtue of their virtuous lifestyle, and hopefully they won't grow up to embarrass you like the grown man who bent down to ask a little child why his dad wasn't at church with him (because daddy had to work Sundays), or tell someone they must be using birth control or they wouldn't have such a gap between kids, and so on.

Lon

No it's really not just an uneducated guess, I've seen plenty throughout my lifetime and lived it as well, so when it comes to anecdotes, I've got quite a few myself - and I've seen some kids who really don't handle the transition well if they've been too culturally separated. They have to go out in the world and function - in university, in careers, in their interactions with all kinds of people who don't live life the way they were brought up in.

From my own experience and observation: if you're (the general 'you,' not you personally) going to remove your children extremely far from the culture at large, I hope at least that you're Amish and have an entire community to support you. And don't teach your kids that they're better than other people by virtue of their virtuous lifestyle, and hopefully they won't grow up to embarrass you like the grown man who bent down to ask a little child why his dad wasn't at church with him (because daddy had to work Sundays), or tell someone they must be using birth control or they wouldn't have such a gap between kids, and so on.

I guess it depends on how separated at that venture. I'm not sure those questions are 'embarrassing' as much as simply different values and cultures coming in contact with one another. Unless one is ungracious in response, not a big deal. If you are saying inevitably a big deal because the world IS this ungracious, I may see your point and have to rethink a bit. I've been seriously thinking of home-schooling my grandchildren. I just don't want them growing up thinking an expletive for God's name is supposed to be a common occurrence, or that they have to work through sexual issues at age 6 or 11. I have a few years before I have to worry about it, I'm not a grandparent yet. -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I guess it depends on how separated at that venture. I'm not sure those questions are 'embarrassing' as much as simply different values and cultures coming in contact with one another.

Those questions shouldn't have been asked. You shouldn't ask a small child why his dad isn't observing Sunday, and someone else's birth control is no one's business except the couple's. But when people only know that kind of a judgmental approach to everything in life, they don't see anything wrong in asking such questions.

Unless one is ungracious in response, not a big deal.
I happen to think the judgmental ungraciousness of busybodies is a big deal, especially when they've visiting it on children.

If you are saying inevitably a big deal because the world IS this ungracious, I may see your point and have to rethink a bit. I've been seriously thinking of home-schooling my grandchildren. I just don't want them growing up thinking an expletive for God's name is supposed to be a common occurrence, or that they have to work through sexual issues at age 6 or 11. I have a few years before I have to worry about it, I'm not a grandparent yet. -Lon

I love my parents (my dad has passed away) but I wouldn't have let them make decisions for my children. That's my job as a parent.

Lon

Those questions shouldn't have been asked. You shouldn't ask a small child why his dad isn't observing Sunday, and someone else's birth control is no one's business except the couple's. But when people only know that kind of a judgmental approach to everything in life, they don't see anything wrong in asking such questions.
An adult or a child? I don't find 'why isn't your daddy here?' that objectionable. My family gets asked all the time why I am not attending a particular event. Not that embarrassing. About birth control? I can politely say "not something we talk about in polite company in my family as a general rule.' For me, at least, no dilemma. I might pull one aside and tell them another was embarrassed, but this is all good conversation skills at play.

I happen to think the judgmental ungraciousness of busybodies is a big deal, especially when they've visiting it on children.
Yeah, but once you are an adult, all bets are off. These folks are in bad shape 'after' having been in the world at large. I'd be shocked if all of them were from sheltered upbringings. I just don't see that connection. They are just social misfits and present in all walks of life. Maybe you've done or seen study on this, I just find them odd is all.

I love my parents (my dad has passed away) but I wouldn't have let them make decisions for my children. That's my job as a parent.
So you didn't hold their same values? My kids share my values. I think I see what makes that different between you and I (no-fault observation). -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
An adult or a child? I don't find 'why isn't your daddy here?' that objectionable. My family gets asked all the time why I am not attending a particular event. Not that embarrassing. About birth control? I can politely say "not something we talk about in polite company in my family as a general rule.' For me, at least, no dilemma. I might pull one aside and tell them another was embarrassed, but this is all good conversation skills at play.

No, it was "why isn't your daddy at Mass?" Big difference in meaning and significance there. As for the other... I'm not going to argue it anymore. It has nothing at all to do with "good conversation skills" on the receiving end of such intrusion, and if you don't see it, then I'm going to leave it there. I made my point.

Yeah, but once you are an adult, all bets are off. These folks are in bad shape 'after' having been in the world at large. I'd be shocked if all of them were from sheltered upbringings. I just don't see that connection. They are just social misfits and present in all walks of life. Maybe you've done or seen study on this, I just find them odd is all.

I've seen it in real life.

So you didn't hold their same values? My kids share my values. I think I see what makes that different between you and I (no-fault observation). -Lon

No, I don't think you see. It has nothing to do with a clash in values, it has to do with control. I won't be making decisions for my sons' children, I wouldn't presume to make plans for their upbringing. That's my sons' and their wives' job, they'll do an excellent job, and if they want any help from me, they'll ask me.

Lon

No, I don't think you see. It has nothing to do with a clash in values, it has to do with control. I won't be making decisions for my sons' children, I wouldn't presume to make plans for their upbringing. That's my sons' and their wives' job, they'll do an excellent job, and if they want any help from me, they'll ask me.
Not sure what rules cover your family at large. They aren't like mine. I believe it a familial issue, not a social one of any kind of political correctness. I'm really not sold on innocuous politically correct agenda. My grandkids will have the same values, not because they are brainwashed, but because values cannot and do not change, else they aren't values. My kids would trust me to teach their children how to do computations, how to dialogue sentences, and how to employ the scientific method. I 'think' you are thinking of 'christian' education by indoctrination. Completely different animal.