Why Some Are Hell Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pate

Banned
This is not a pleasant subject. I would rather talk about the love of God and the grace that he has shown us in Jesus Christ. The Bible describes hell as a place of eternal suffering. I would rather think of hell as a place where the soul is destroyed, instead of eternal suffering. Unfortunately the Bible does not support what I would like to think or believe.

In the Old Testament as well as the New Testament the only thing that matters to God is faith. Works means little to nothing. The word "Faith" means "Confidence in or dependence on a person, statement, or thing as trustworthy. Belief without need of certain proof. Belief in God or in the scriptures or other religious writings" (Funk & Wagnalls Dictionary) There are two kinds of faith. There is saving faith and there is religious faith. Most people have religious faith, because their faith is tied to a religion.

Catholics do not feel saved if they do not participate in the rituals of the Catholic church. Calvinist do not feel saved if they do not teach and believe in their Calvinist doctrines. Most people are tied to some sort of religion that makes then feel secure that they are saved. This is NOT saving faith. It is not the Gospel plus something (your religion) it is the Gospel plus nothing. When you add religion to faith it then becomes perverted faith. Or when you try to add religion to the Gospel then it is no longer the Gospel, it becomes another Gospel, Galatians 1:6-10.

The only thing that Jesus acknowledges in the New Testament is faith. Little to nothing is said about works. Paul used the word faith hundreds of times in his epistles. Paul taught that we are justified by faith, Romans 5:1. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that works or religion justifies. The Bible is pro faith and anti-works. Jesus said, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, didn't we...? When they should have been saying, Lord, Lord, didn't you.

Faith does not really save. there is no saving merit in faith. Our faith is what makes the Gospel ours. Jesus is the one that does the saving. We are saved and justified by Jesus Christ, not by our faith. Faith says, "Mine are the doing and the dying of Jesus" Our faith embraces all that Jesus is and all that he has done and makes it ours. Without that kind of faith no one will be saved. If you cannot abandon your religion and trust in Christ alone as your only means of salvation, I suspect that you are hell bound.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Pate, why don't you learn what the KJV word hell actually means.

Nowhere does scripture suggest hell is a place, state, or position that won't be destroyed at the end of the Last Day.

balut55

If they only knew. It's not that hard. How ironic that the church people screw it up by being so judgmental against people outside the church. I guess I should look at it different. They will make me a Saint.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
Pate, why don't you learn what the KJV word hell actually means.

Nowhere does scripture suggest hell is a place, state, or position that won't be destroyed at the end of the Last Day.

Where does it say that hell is not a place? And where does it say that hell will be destroyed?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
They don't seek the Lord (2 Chron 12:14). :juggle:

"11:16 seek Yahweh, the God of Israel People from all the tribes who were seeking Yahweh came to Jerusalem to worship.

As he does throughout, the Chronicler emphasizes seeking God as evidence of faithfulness. Saul’s death is attributed partially to his failure to seek God (1 Chr 10:14). David, in contrast, sought God when he brought the ark to Jerusalem. When making preparations for the temple, David encouraged Israel’s leaders to seek God (1 Chr 22:17–19). He also encouraged Solomon to faithfully seek God (1 Chr 28:9)." Barry, J. D., Mangum, D., Brown, D. R., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Ritzema, E., … Bomar, D. (2012, 2016). Faithlife Study Bible (2 Ch 11:16). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Where does it say that hell is not a place? And where does it say that hell will be destroyed?

Hell, is a place. According to the KJV Jesus went there, but in the NT is referred to as hades in the modern translations.

Will death and hades be destroyed?

Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14)​

The point of the fire is to destroy the earth, it will have served its purpose.

Robert Pate

Banned
They don't seek the Lord (2 Chron 12:14). :juggle:

"11:16 seek Yahweh, the God of Israel People from all the tribes who were seeking Yahweh came to Jerusalem to worship.

As he does throughout, the Chronicler emphasizes seeking God as evidence of faithfulness. Saul’s death is attributed partially to his failure to seek God (1 Chr 10:14). David, in contrast, sought God when he brought the ark to Jerusalem. When making preparations for the temple, David encouraged Israel’s leaders to seek God (1 Chr 22:17–19). He also encouraged Solomon to faithfully seek God (1 Chr 28:9)." Barry, J. D., Mangum, D., Brown, D. R., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Ritzema, E., … Bomar, D. (2012, 2016). Faithlife Study Bible (2 Ch 11:16). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

There are hundreds of scriptures about seeking the Lord. If we don't seek him we will never find him.

Robert Pate

Banned
Hell, is a place. According to the KJV Jesus went there, but in the NT is referred to as hades in the modern translations.

Will death and hades be destroyed?

Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14)​

The point of the fire is to destroy the earth, it will have served its purpose.

The Bible depicts hell as a place of eternal torment. Rejecting God's great free gift of salvation that was provided by Jesus Christ is a serious thing to do.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Can you clarify a little? What Catholic teaching of eternal life are you referring to?

The Catholic religion is basically an updated version of the Egyptian religion.

The ancient Egyptians' attitude towards death was influenced by their belief in immortality. They regarded death as a temporary interruption, rather than the cessation of life. To ensure the continuity of life after death, people paid homage to the gods, both during and after their life on earth. When they died, they were mummified so the soul would return to the body, giving it breath and life. Household equipment and food and drink were placed on offering tables outside the tomb's burial chamber to provide for the person's needs in the afterworld. Written funerary texts consisting of spells or prayers were also included to assist the dead on their way to the afterworld.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/civil/egypt/egcr04e.shtml

Bard_the_Bowman

The Catholic religion is basically an updated version of the Egyptian religion.

Nah. More like the updated version of Judaism.

The ancient Egyptians' attitude towards death was influenced by their belief in immortality.​

A Catholic's attitude towards death should be influenced by a belief in and hope of resurrection.

But that isn't unique to Catholicism. That is true for Christians of any kind.

They regarded death as a temporary interruption, rather than the cessation of life.

That's pretty accurate of Catholic beliefs. As well as Christians of any kind.

To ensure the continuity of life after death, people paid homage to the gods, both during and after their life on earth.

This has nothing to do with Catholicism or any kind of Christianity that I know of. Nothing to do at all. No Christians think there is something that we can do to "ensure the continuity of life."

When they died, they were mummified so the soul would return to the body, giving it breath and life.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Catholicism or any other form of Christianity.

Household equipment and food and drink were placed on offering tables outside the tomb's burial chamber to provide for the person's needs in the afterworld.

This has nothing to do Catholicism or any other form of Christianity.

Written funerary texts consisting of spells or prayers were also included to assist the dead on their way to the afterworld.

This has nothing to do with Catholicism or any other form of Christianity. I think it is safe to say that all Christians believe that when a person dies...they have entered the afterworld. There is no need to assist the dead to get there, this happens automatically.

[/QUOTE]

So yeah, I'm not seeing any issues with any of that.

Peace.

chair

If you don't likem don't readem. I know that you hate to be reminded of your lost condition.

I usually ignore your threads. Occasionally I drop by to see what you've managed to come up with. Your obsession is astounding.

And- don't you think that if I thought I was "lost", I would do something about it? Your telling me I am "lost" means nothing at all to me.

popsthebuilder

None are hell bound but those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit. That is to say, those who knowingly misguide others regardless of what the Holy Spirit has shown them, what the selfless conscience tells them, what the Word says, and the teachings and example of the Christ of GOD. All things can be repented of though, thankfully.

It does seem that the biblical hell is only temporary and that separation and total anihalation of the knowing hypocrite and deciever forevermore, from the new creation that will be utterly of GOD is a certainty.

My own opinion based on the unbiased, ignorant, opened reading of the bible and other sacred texts.

peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Nah. More like the updated version of Judaism.

Judaism doesn't promote the trinity nor many other things proposed by Catholicism.

You may have never noticed the giant marker in St. Peter's square, but it's there.

They put a cross on top to make it Christian.

Bard_the_Bowman

Judaism doesn't promote the trinity nor many other things proposed by Catholicism.

Of course it doesn't. The revelation of the Trinity didn't come until the 1st century A.D.

Judaism is much much older than that.

I never said that Judaism and Catholicism were the same thing or taught all of the same things.

You may have never noticed the giant marker in St. Peter's square, but it's there.

They put a cross on top to make it Christian.

I've never been there myself. But I've read about it.

Yeah, the cross on top and there is an inscription on the bottom that says: "Christ conquers. Christ reigns. Christ commands."

What's the problem with that?

Pretty brazen way to tell the pagan world (actually the whole world) about the Kingship of Jesus Christ that conquers paganism.

No worries about any political correctness or fear of offending anybody there.

Just proclamation of the cross of Christ.

That's cool.

Peace.

Robert Pate

Banned
I usually ignore your threads. Occasionally I drop by to see what you've managed to come up with. Your obsession is astounding.

And- don't you think that if I thought I was "lost", I would do something about it? Your telling me I am "lost" means nothing at all to me.

There are multitudes that think that they are saved, but are lost.

The fact that you think that you can do something to save yourself is proof that you are lost.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, the cross on top and there is an inscription on the bottom that says: "Christ conquers. Christ reigns. Christ commands."

What's the problem with that?

The Christian facade obscures the updated Egyptian religion, but that does not seem to be a problem for Catholics and the daughter churches.

The trinity concept began with the Sumerians.

Status
Not open for further replies.