ratings: 8.2/10 from 433,022 users metascore: 89/100
reviews: 1,416 user | 698 critic | 47 from metacritic.comoom

Spotlight
ratings: 8.3/10 from 30,868 users metascore: 93/100
reviews: 150 user | 236 critic | 44 from metacritic.com

Brooklyn
ratings: 7.7/10 from 17,895 users metascore: 87/100
reviews: 95 user | 231 critic | 42 from metacritic.com

The first score is how the kids vote them and the metascore is who well journalists rate them. I find the higher the metascore, aboove 80, the more the film appeals to middle-age and older audiences, and the higher the first score, the more younger people like the film. Mind, new movies have high general scores, which drop after a year or so.

I feel the metascoire is less influenced by the arty factor than it is when it comes to Oscar winners. As well, the general vote from younger people seems to move even farther away from the arty factor.

musterion

If someone dared to say (and I have no idea if anyone has) "No black person was nominated this year because, based on this year's crop, the acting of black folks just wasn't that good, sorry," the likely response would be, "Oh, didn't act WHITE enough for you, is that it?"

Just a guess.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Taken from IMDb...The first score is how the kids vote them and the metascore is who well journalists rate them. I find the higher the metascore, aboove 80, the more the film appeals to middle-age and older audiences, and the higher the first score, the more younger people like the film. Mind, new movies have high general scores, which drop after a year or so.

I feel the metascoire is less influenced by the arty factor than it is when it comes to Oscar winners. As well, the general vote from younger people seems to move even farther away from the arty factor.

Here's the curious bit. Both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb agree on the best five (the old limit for nominations). I'll list the top five with IMDb first and RT beside it:

1. Spotlight/Brooklyn
2. Fury Road/Spotlight
3. Brooklyn/Fury Road
4. Room/Room
5. Creed/Creed

Creed is fifth and unnominated. The Revenant, by contrast, fell to 10th on IMBd and 11th out of the twelve films on RT and manages a nod.

PureX

However, only cry babies and poor sports whine when they lose.
I think it's tawdry not to show support for their fellow actors regardless of who else they think should have been nominated. That's exactly the kind of behavior that gets people ostracized in the first place. And they already have their own exclusive awards show compounding the divisiveness.

I think the people fussing and boycotting the Oscars are making a big mistake, and it's going to backfire on them.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think the higher the metascore and the relative lower popular score, the more arty and adult the film. My guess :idunno:

Brooklyn/Fury Road/Spotlight have high metascores, so does Creed.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The people fussing and boycotting the Oscars are making a big mistake, I think. And it's going to backfire on them.

Not a 'race' issue for me, although I would like to see new blood, and do not care about what they look like, as long as they different, more popular ideas:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think it's tawdry not to show support for their fellow actors regardless of who else they think should have been nominated. That's exactly the kind of behavior that gets people ostracized in the first place. And they already have their own exclusive awards show compounding the divisiveness.

The people fussing and boycotting the Oscars are making a big mistake, I think. And it's going to backfire on them.
What could the backlash possibly be? Blackballing them? Appears that's a defacto of sorts as it is...again, I don't think it's a racist thing, but it is indicative of the membership composition, which isn't reflective of the audience most movies are courting, either for the theaters or the self-celebratory awards.

And therein lies part of the problem. While the Oscars has turned into a willful attempt to draw us into and promote movies, at its heart it's about people in the trade complimenting one another. It isn't a People's Choice award and was never intended as such. The movers and shakers in that industry are still mostly older white males and their sensibilities are dominating the landscape. So it's perhaps more surprising that we've had the level of diversity in film awards that we've seen over the years.

PureX

Not a 'race' issue for me, although I would like to see new blood, and do not care about what they look like, as long as they different, more popular ideas:)
I agree. I have no problem with blacks, latinos, asians, or whomever as characters in movies. And there are lots of good "ethnic" actors out there. Some of them are so good that I'll make a point of seeing a movie simply because they're in it.

I really think these folks are over-reacting.

PureX

What could the backlash possibly be? Blackballing them?
No, but I think they're going to lose this one in terms of public opinion, and create more negative racism than they hoped to dispel.
Appears that's a defacto of sorts as it is...again, I don't think it's a racist thing, but it is indicative of the membership composition, which isn't reflective of the audience most movies are courting, either for the theaters or the self-celebratory awards.
This isn't the People's Choice Awards, it's the Academy Awards. These awards are about the people in the industry honoring those among them that have performed in an exceptional manner. They don't have to reflect the makeup of the audience. They simply have to reflect the consensus of the people active in the movie-making industry.
And therein lies part of the problem. While the Oscars has turned into a willful attempt to draw us into and promote movies, at its heart it's about people in the trade complimenting one another. It isn't a People's Choice award and was never intended as such. The movers and shakers in that industry are still mostly older white males and their sensibilities are dominating the landscape. So it's perhaps more surprising that we've had the level of diversity in film awards that we've seen over the years.
Great minds think alike! :)

I don't doubt that the moguls of the industry are somewhat racist white males and that this is effecting the results in a biased way. But this isn't about the moguls. It's about the 'product manufacturers' honoring their own. This just isn't the appropriate event for the protests.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, but I think they're going to lose this one in terms of public opinion, and create more negative racism than they hoped to dispel.
I suspect that people who are offended by that would find another reason to be offended and write off anything but agreement as a desperate bit of political correctness.

This isn't the People's Choice Awards, it's the Academy Awards. These awards are about the people in the industry honoring those among them that have performed in an exceptional manner. They don't have to reflect the makeup of the audience. They simply have to reflect the consensus of the people active in the movie-making industry. Great minds think alike! :)
And that's the wrench in the works here. It mostly followed that guideline, but where it didn't was troublesome. That said, the Academy will sort it out. It's in their best interest.

I don't doubt that the moguls of the industry are somewhat racist white males and that this is effecting the results in a biased way.
I don't believe they have to be racist, only biased. The way an older white guy might flip past a rap tune to get to something he prefers, or prefer country music to jazz. No offense meant in the omission Kind of Blue from the playlist, just a lack of appreciation for it.

But this isn't about the moguls. It's about the 'product manufacturers' honoring their own. This just isn't the appropriate event for the protests.
There we don't think alike. It's the perfect place. It's where the power structure will be sitting. They won't like being uncomfortable and if the bias isn't intended they're more likely to do something to remedy it faster than if everyone appeared to be less than concerned about it.

Were I Rock I'd walk onto the stage in white gloves and spend an uncomfortable ten seconds looking at the audience, then take them off and move on.

rexlunae

why don't "diverse" people create their own awards instead of whining about how unfair the oscars are? :idunno:

eta: my bad - looks like we already have the BET awards and the BMA's

betcha there aren't a whole lot of white people who win them things

So? Black people set up their own awards because they can't consistently get recognition in mainstream award programs, and you think that justifies continuing to ignore them?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Look, there's only so many awards, and there are so many good white people that deserve to win. Sorry black folks, do better. :chuckle:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
....it is indicative of the membership composition, which isn't reflective of the audience most movies are courting, either for the theaters or the self-celebratory awards.

And therein lies part of the problem. While the Oscars has turned into a willful attempt to draw us into and promote movies, at its heart it's about people in the trade complimenting one another.

This seems true to me. They are an artistic clique. that is why I like sites like the one I mentioned. Rotten tomatoes is good too. Reviews also help me decide and there is family, yet I forget to ask them even though I sometimes talk to them most of the day.:confused:

Some have seem at least half of these films, yet I never think to ask, they always have something to discuss with me.