No Valid Defense/Excuse for Adultery ... EVER ....

Danoh

The only other statement I could have made is "Adultery is not always wrong". As I have shown in my response to AB, while I may not agree with him, I am willing to consider and discuss his reasoning.

You are debating Bible Believers on this.

We are not going to agree with you on that.

Adultry is not only always wrong, but no way to attempt to start afresh if that is what has to be.

The thing to do is start afresh on one's own - get all that out of oneself on one's own.

And for a time.

No sense in dragging all that baggage into a new relationship.

Even in Scripture the God of Israel starts completely over with that Nation and only after a very long, long separation.

Rom. 5: 6-8 towards you.

Right Divider

Body part
You made a declarative statement without anything to back it up so that's just your opinion. If something is nonsense then explain why, else you're not bringing anything to the table besides your own opinion which can be dismissed just as you do with other people here.
Please describe the "declarative statement" that is giving you problems.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are debating Bible Believers on this.

We are not going to agree with you on that.

Adultry is not only always wrong, but no way to attempt to start afresh if that is what is has to be..

Since I don't disagree with your statement, I am not seeing any ... disagreement.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The only other statement I could have made is "Adultery is not always wrong". As I have shown in my response to AB, while I may not agree with him, I am willing to consider and discuss his reasoning.

Adultery happens in times of weakness and stress caused by any number of reasons. That doesn't make it right, it is still wrong. As I said in my first post, it can be forgiven and a couple can move past it and become stronger. I speak from experience. I wish I didn't, but I do. After reading AB's reasons I see them as the attempted justifications and rationalizations adulterers go through to make themselves feel better. I did not feel better until I sat down with my bride and told her what a complete idiot I was. She is one in a billion! That conversation was about 27 or 28 years, two children, two rounds of breast cancer and four horses ago. We are still very happily married.

Based on my experience, adultery is always wrong. It happens, but I don't think we should ever seek to justify it. If a marriage is over, end it.

Right Divider

Body part
It took you two tries to get to it.
Shame on me.

In either case, the act of adultery has accurately been determined to be wrong. It seems to me that your statement is a meaningless distinction. You are a Christian man and you say adultery is wrong because God said it was wrong and committing adultery will hurt people. Non-Christians may look at the hurt that is caused by adultery and conclude that the act is wrong because of the destruction it leaves in its wake. In either case, the conclusion is that adultery is wrong.
Indeed, one has a basis and one is people's opinion.

never said she was wrong. You heavily implied that she is wrong because you do not think she has formed her moral standards in a way that is acceptable to you. That is why I was asking you all those questions. It was interesting note what you DID NOT say in response to those questions.
My "heavy implications" were never that she was wrong that adultery is wrong. If right and wrong are simply some weighing of opinions, then we are all just blowing in the wind.

Danoh

I am fairly certain we know why. Because it's *my* statement ... EOS. Which is exactly why I will not engage any further with such blatant distractions.

Everyone can agree on specific actions that we all agree are wrong, However, it's easier to empathize with certain individuals as compared to others. AB gave a good example. I understand his example and empathize. However, I agree with Tam's conclusion that it's always wrong.

I stand corrected.

I couldn't agree with you and Tam on this, more.

Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

My apologies, Rusha.

Rom. 5:6-8 towards you.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I stand corrected.

I couldn't agree with you and Tam on this, more.

Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

My apologies, Rusha.

Rom. 5:6-8 towards you.

No need ... but thanks just the same. :)

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Shame on me.
Don't let it happen again. :)

Indeed, one has a basis and one is people's opinion.
Yes, the people who have observed that adultery cause pain and suffering have a firm verifiable basis for stating that adultery is wrong. Those that believe it is wrong because God said it is wrong only have their opinion that it is wrong.

Do you see the problem with what you said and how it can be interpreted?

My "heavy implications" were never that she was wrong that adultery is wrong. If right and wrong are simply some weighing of opinions, then we are all just blowing in the wind.
What was written on the heart of the Gentiles?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Adultery happens in times of weakness and stress caused by any number of reasons. That doesn't make it right, it is still wrong. As I said in my first post, it can be forgiven and a couple can move past it and become stronger. I speak from experience. I wish I didn't, but I do. After reading AB's reasons I see them as the attempted justifications and rationalizations adulterers go through to make themselves feel better. I did not feel better until I sat down with my bride and told her what a complete idiot I was. She is one in a billion! That conversation was about 27 or 28 years, two children, two rounds of breast cancer and four horses ago. We are still very happily married.

Based on my experience, adultery is always wrong. It happens, but I don't think we should ever seek to justify it. If a marriage is over, end it.

I am glad that worked out so well for the both of you. Your story serves as an example that there is a path to marital redemption. IF one is truly regretful, it makes a difference.

Arthur Brain

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm simply saying that in some cases it's understandable. If someone is in a broken relationship past the point of repair or being abused then that's different to someone making an excuse to have an affair because a relationship is going through difficulties.

Just to clarify my position there.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I'm not trying to justify it, I'm simply saying that in some cases it's understandable. If someone is in a broken relationship past the point of repair or being abused then that's different to someone making an excuse to have an affair because a relationship is going through difficulties.

Just to clarify my position there.
Saying that in some cases it is understandable IS a justification.

If the relationship is broken past the point of repair - end it.
If the relationship is abusive, it is broken beyond the point of repair. End it.
If you are bored and want an affair to spice things up, then seduce your spouse. Odds are, they are bored too and would welcome the change.

I fully understand that adultery happens. As humans, we can easily understand somebodies desires to have an affair. In any case, regardless of how broken things are, you have sworn fidelity to another person and breaking that vow is wrong. That doesn't mean that it does not happen nor does that mean we cannot forgive or be forgiven, it does mean that adultery is always wrong.

Arthur Brain

Saying that in some cases it is understandable IS a justification.

If the relationship is broken past the point of repair - end it.
If the relationship is abusive, it is broken beyond the point of repair. End it.
If you are bored and want an affair to spice things up, then seduce your spouse. Odds are, they are bored too and would welcome the change.

I fully understand that adultery happens. As humans, we can easily understand somebodies desires to have an affair. In any case, regardless of how broken things are, you have sworn fidelity to another person and breaking that vow is wrong. That doesn't mean that it does not happen nor does that mean we cannot forgive or be forgiven, it does mean that adultery is always wrong.

Saying that something is understandable doesn't equal justifying or condoning it. In some cases people don't always have the option of simply ending a relationship or walking away from one so I'm merely giving a counterpoint.

Right Divider

Body part
Yes, the people who have observed that adultery cause pain and suffering have a firm verifiable basis for stating that adultery is wrong. Those that believe it is wrong because God said it is wrong only have their opinion that it is wrong.
:rotfl:
You humanists are something else!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Saying that something is understandable doesn't equal justifying or condoning it. In some cases people don't always have the option of simply ending a relationship or walking away from one so I'm merely giving a counterpoint.

Okay. It is a remarkably fine line you have chosen to walk, but I, finally, understand what you are saying.

Arthur Brain

Okay. It is a remarkably fine line you have chosen to walk, but I, finally, understand what you are saying.

It's not one that's going to apply to me really but there needs to be a counter whereby adultery doesn't just fall under some "umbrella" as life often isn't black and white.