What about Windows 10?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks for sharing. Is there a nuclear HEMP-proof mechanism in there somewhere? AFAIK optical disks are unaffected by an EMP . . . whether there's a device left over that can read the media afterwards is another question. But my question is directed at whether any of the cloud servers are shielded from an EMP? Is that even possible?
Some have been doing this for a few years. For example, Iron Mountain's data center is located a few hundred feet below ground, but these are not cloud servers.

To see Google's facilities:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/behind-the-cloud-a-tour-of-googles-secretive-data-facilities/

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gmail - Not Your Usual Email Client

Gmail - Not Your Usual Email Client

If you use Gmail for your email, including setting it up to receive email from your other email accounts, you may find the item linked below this message useful. Gmail does not function as a stand-alone email tool. The biggest point of confusion has to do with the concept of folders used on stand alone email tools versus Gmail's use of labels.

When one starts using Gmail they find many copies of an email with various labels and assume that many copies of that message exist. Actually only one copy exists, but it appears in many labels (not folders) you may have created. The only place all email can be seen is by using the All Mail option in your Gmail box. In other words, a single email message in Gmail can have multiple labels that will appear in the list of labels you create using Gmail. If you actually delete that message having many labels, it will disappear from all the other labeled areas. This usually causes much dismay to folks who do not understand how Gmail stores messages and think a label is actually a folder storing a duplicate copy of the email.

I like Gmail and use it for all of my email accounts. But, the one worry about Gmail is personal backup. If you use a stand-alone email tool (a client that communicates with an email server) you can easily backup all your email messages. With Gmail you must rely upon Google to keep your emails safe and recoverable. I use eM Client as a stand-alone email tool to have the ability to actually download all of my email messages residing on Google's servers.

eM Client has a nice backup feature that creates a zip archive of all messages that I can backup (I use InSync) should Google's email system go awry. I also have it set up to import all of my other email accounts messages, just as does Gmail. Most of the time I just use eM Client and never actually open Gmail in my browser. This helps me live comfortably with the notion of folders that actually store a message versus the use of Gmail's concept of labels. This allows me to actually store multiple actual copies of emails in various folders I have created.

So given eM Client and Gmail, why have both? Other than the one computer with eM Client installed, I have several computers at home so on any of them I can open Gmail in a browser and still see all of my email. I could even access my Gmail on any computer on the road while traveling, too, or on my Kindle when away from the house at a coffee shop.

For more about how Gmail functions, see: http://gmail-miscellany.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-gmail-stores-your-mail.html

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have discovered a very nice tool for preserving snapshots of my entire computer that can be reverted to effortlessly: Rollback RX Professional

This tool eliminates the need to create images of one's hard drive, which usually take 20-50 minutes.

Snapshots can be taken on a scheduled basis, ranging from hourly to weekly, too.

So say you are about to install some new software. You can manually take a snapshot of your computer beforehand and if anything goes wrong with the installation you can simply revert to your previous state with the click of the mouse.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Installed a new Linksys EA9500 router (802.11ac protocol) and connected Linksys USB AC600 802.11ac USB radio stick. Also installed a Linksys RE7000 range extender for access outside on my patio. Changed all ethernet cabling to Cat 6 and 7 flat cables (not the round ones) for gigabit transfer rates. The EA9500 was a pain to configure, despite claims to the contrary, but after about 4 hours I had things all set up.

Went over to Netflix's Speed Test site, http://fast.com, and rang up 92 Mbps download speed (Cox is my cable model provider). Got that speed sitting outside on my patio, too. ;)

The new router has 8 ethernet ports and 8 multi-user MIMO antennas, which I have named Medusa. Have my TiVo and Roku ethernet connected, so streaming via the TiVo and Roku is now very spiffy. I eventually will upgrade my TiVo to the new TiVo Bolt DVR which enables recording 4 channels simulaneously, stores up to 150 hours of HD and is 4K ready, including over the air antenna capability since I cut the cable TV cord a couple of years ago.

Added a one month free trial to HBO Now ($14.99/mo afterwards) to my Roku and am enjoying current and past episodes of various HBO movies and series. Will eventually swap out the Roku for the new 4K enabled version when I make the move to a 4k UHD video monitor as soon as OLED monitor prices drop to reasonable ranges.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In my never ending war with email spam, phishing, embedded viruses in my various email accounts, I installed Mailwasher Pro and have finally managed to eliminate spam in my mailbox. It is a clumsy user model, in that you run MW Pro first to see email destined to your email accounts that have been classified as spam, good, or from persons on your friends list. You can change the tool's classifications and it learns over time getting better as rating email. Once done, you select the "Wash" button and it closes and opens your favorite email client for downloading emails. The downside is that you turn off the automatic ckecking for email in your client (Gmail, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.), so when MW launches your email client you have to select the check for new email button to get your emails that have been "washed" by MW Pro.

There are some scripting options available, e.g., AutoIT, that can eliminate that extra check for new email click, but for now I am just going to deal with the extra mouse click. I think MW Pro will eventually add something similar to a future version given how often that feature is being requested by users.

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am going to slowly ditch IE and move my favorites to "bookmarks" because Microsoft is getting dumber.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am going to slowly ditch IE and move my favorites to "bookmarks" because Microsoft is getting dumber.
Get Xmarks and never again worry about saving your bookmarks or using them on various browsers.

They are now owned by Lastpass. The latter is the best password storage and sync across all browsers tool.

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Get Xmarks and never again worry about saving your bookmarks or using them on various browsers.

They are now owned by Lastpass. The latter is the best password storage and sync across all browsers tool.

AMR

I don't know what those are. I will look at it. Normally, IT nerds deal with all of it, but this is my own.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know what those are. I will look at it. Normally, IT nerds deal with all of it, but this is my own.
LastPass is a password service that keeps all your passwords securely in one place that can be used across any browsers you may be using. It will automatically fill in userid and password information at sites requiring them and generate new passwords for sites you are registering at while browsing about.

You can export your saved passwords within LastPass to a file to have them all in one place, too, should you (or your survivors should you move on to your glory) need them.

Xmarks is the same thing, except it deals only with your bookmarked web sites. If you have spent years accumulating bookkmarks and never want to worry about losing them, this tool will remove the worry.

AMR

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The more I learn about how Windows really works, the more horrified I am. That's...hideous.
I am always tweaking my Windows environment. That is one thing I like about it. Reminds me of my unix and linux days. On the other hand, the many and tortuous things that can or must be done is job security for thousands of sysadmins. Sigh.

AMR

rexlunae

I am always tweaking my Windows environment. That is one thing I like about it. Reminds me of my unix and linux days.

It doesn't seem very Unix to me. And I spend most of my time in one Unix or another. I'm used to things being a little more transparent, I think.

On the other hand, the many and tortuous things that can or must be done is job security for thousands of sysadmins. Sigh.

AMR

I guess what it means is that there are a number of magic UUIDs that the Windows shell recognizes and imbues with special behavior. Which explains a few things I've seen on the filesystems, but it is no less horrifying to me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
LastPass is a password service that keeps all your passwords securely in one place that can be used across any browsers you may be using. It will automatically fill in userid and password information at sites requiring them and generate new passwords for sites you are registering at while browsing about.

I don't want that. I have cookies, the same as everybody else, for unimportant things like TOL. Windows 10 just finished. It is hot garbage. I didn't have Windows 8. I honestly despise it, but firefox was struggling as bad as IE. So I tried it.This is an IBM compatible desktop. Let the kids have their "apps".

The bad idea fairy is running wild on this world. No wonder so many think the end is near. It shows.

Last edited: