ECT Ever wonder why dispensationalism has become increasingly despised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heir

TOL Subscriber
All of the redeemed constitute a "spiritual house"; a "holy nation" which live and abide in Christ, the spiritual "Israel" of God. I Peter2:5-10
Those have nationality!

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

In the Body of Christ, there is none!

Colossians 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

njspolk

All dispensationalism does is point that out. That's why they hate it so much.

I think that's unfair. I'm not the only one who isn't a Dispensationalist, but that isn't why I do not assent to Dispensationalism. I only disagree with it, and although I think it to be silly, I don't think that Dispensationalists are the scourge of Christianity or anything of that nature. And I know Dispensationalists who think the same thing about others who don't hold similar theological beliefs.

To blame "replacement" theology as the top reason for Dispensationalism drop in numbers might have some merit to it, and I agree that many Christians still suffer under the ignorance of antisemitism, I don't think that is the number 1 reason. I think that Dispensationalism rides real close to the line of Christian Fundamentalism. I want to be clear that I am not accusing all of Fundamentalism, but it tends to run in Dispensational circles. This is why people have been leaving its ideas and approaches. It tends to assume its position as the sole authority in Christian theology and demonize all other people groups and Christian denominations that don't assent to their theology. Which is the case with many other theological traditions, but Dispensationalism seems to be the major culprit as of late.

Maybe instead of approaching things in a accusatory way, we should approach each other with the mindset of "I could be wrong." I think this would be more fruitful to Christian theology and interreligious dialogue rather than assuming one's theological position as 100% correct and authoritative.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Those have nationality!

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Where is there any "nationality" mentioned here?

In the Body of Christ, there is none!

Colossians 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Agreed!

I have noticed that literalists often trap themselves in such contradictious quandaries . . which is what forces them into having to make their many unnecessary "distinctions" in order to explain themselves.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Absolutely. Does that mean I'm a replacement theologian or antisemitic? I wouldn't usually jump to conclusions, but I feel like something of that nature is coming my way.
It shows you a dispensationalist as there are commands in the Bible where some are not allowed to eat certain things!

Nang

TOL Subscriber
"an holy nation" is that which the "royal priesthood" is comprised, and that is Israel, not the Body of Christ where there is no nationality!

I know you will not comprehend this, for I doubt you have ever studied the amillennial view of Eschatology, but this scripture describes the present reign of Christ and His church. It is metaphoric language used to depict the very royalty & purpose of Christ's spiritual kingdom.

SaulToPaul 2

I know you will not comprehend this, for I doubt you have ever studied the amillennial view of Eschatology, but this scripture describes the present reign of Christ and His church. It is metaphoric language used to depict the very royalty & purpose of Christ's spiritual kingdom.

:chuckle:

njspolk

It shows you a dispensationalist as there are commands in the Bible where some are not allowed to eat certain things!

Haha just because I eat pork doesn't mean that I believe there are defined periods of time where God had certain conditions for.

I guess I would agree though that certain practices were meant for a certain period of time because of things like the sociopolitical function of Israel and disease found in pigs and that sort of thing. Yay for common ground!

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Right!

Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

The earthly nation of Israel, was chosen to manifest and represent the holy ordinances of God amongst all the other nations, to prophesy Messiah and His spiritual Kingdom promised to come. Peter was relating this prophesy as fulfilled in the NT saints he addressed in his epistle.

themuzicman

That has nothing to do with anything other than years on a calandar.

LOL.. So, "this generation" from Matthew 24 doesn't correlate to a time period, anymore? Is that how they're trying to get around this?

What, pray tell, does "this generation" mean now?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Haha just because I eat pork doesn't mean that I believe there are defined periods of time where God had certain conditions for.
It means that you recognize that God, in the dispensation of the grace of God, never commanded that you be under any dietary restrictions (1 Timothy 4:4 KJV)whereas others in time past, were! You are a dispy!

And how about the law? Are you under it?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Teaching different divine economies, is not the gross error of teaching different gospels.

njspolk

It means that you recognize that God, in the dispensation of the grace of God, never commanded that you be under any dietary restrictions (1 Timothy 4:4 KJV)whereas others in time past, were! You are a dispy!

And how about the law? Are you under it?

Not what I said haha And yes and no. The law has been fulfilled in Christ and we as Christians are still called to be holy as Israel was and still is today. We don't replace Israel, but we live out holy lives in a similar way. Christians just put more emphasis on Christ's take on the law. I share some beliefs with Dispensationalists, but not all. Just like I share some Calvinist views, but am in no way a Calvinist. I'm a Wesleyan :)

heir

TOL Subscriber
Teaching different divine economies, is not the gross error of teaching different gospels.
Nang thinks Paul was in gross error

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

Status
Not open for further replies.