Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Robert Pate

Banned
God has made many covenants with man. I believe Jesus observed and taught the Law. Should Jews and Gentiles observe the commands of Jesus to include those found in the entirety of His earthly ministry?

The following link is where this question was asked of Steve Gregg on The Narrow Path www.thenarrowpath.com this morning. Start at or before 18:01.

http://media.theos.org/Steve Gregg/Radio/2016-30/tnp3020160510.mp3

Jesus taught the law to show you that you don't measure up to what is required, which is perfection.

This is why Paul wrote, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus taught the law to show you that you don't measure up to what is required, which is perfection.

This is why Paul wrote, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.

Amen. Did He at all teach to obey God?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Obey whose interpretation of what God supposedly says?

Just obey as we see written, unless it is the Holy Spirit or a teacher who is consistent with the whole of scripture. For example, obeying father and mother is always required, even if we don't see their commands explicitly in scripture.

HisServant

Just obey as we see written, unless it is the Holy Spirit or a teacher who is consistent with the whole of scripture. For example, obeying father and mother is always required, even if we don't see their commands explicitly in scripture.

How do you know what is written (an approximate translation from Greek and Hebrew.. probably done by someone who's theology is vastly different from yours) is for us today? Do you just blindly follow what they say without taking into account the intended audience and their world view at the time?

Remember, the scripture promised the Holy Spirit, not a written book.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How do you know what is written (an approximate translation from Greek and Hebrew.. probably done by someone who's theology is vastly different from yours) is for us today? Do you just blindly follow what they say without taking into account the intended audience and their world view at the time?

Remember, the scripture promised the Holy Spirit, not a written book.

We can learn from others. But we know we can learn from scripture and the Holy Spirit.

HisServant

Of course. Bible teachers should be teaching from the Bible, not making the Bible say what they want it to say.

I honestly haven't heard a preacher actually teach from the bible in the last 20 years... they all have some non-biblical point they try and get across by cherry picking scripture.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I honestly haven't heard a preacher actually teach from the bible in the last 20 years... they all have some non-biblical point they try and get across by cherry picking scripture.

It is unfortunate that this is your experience. No person or church is perfect but we are all called to be perfect as God is perfect. I'm simply saying there is such a thing as good Biblical teaching and good Bible teachers or teachers even teachers in the church.

HisServant

It is unfortunate that this is your experience. No person or church is perfect but we are all called to be perfect as God is perfect. I'm simply saying there is such a thing as good Biblical teaching and good Bible teachers or teachers even teachers in the church.

I kind of disagree on that... the culture surrounding teachers and the way that people have been coddled within the church their whole lives gives teachers way to much power and little to no accountability.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I kind of disagree on that... the culture surrounding teachers and the way that people have been coddled within the church their whole lives gives teachers way to much power and little to no accountability.

A good teacher is accountable to God and to those he teaches. In the body of Christ we not only submit to one another but we edify each other no matter what a person's particular gifting.

HisServant

A good teacher is accountable to God and to those he teaches. In the body of Christ we not only submit to one another but we edify each other no matter what a person's particular gifting.

What do you do when you encounter teacher that wants a salary? Afterall, unless their job is to 100% spread the gospel, then they are not to earn their living from the congregation.

And that pretty much excludes 95% of so called teachers in the world from being legitimate.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What do you do when you encounter teacher that wants a salary? Afterall, unless their job is to 100% spread the gospel, then they are not to earn their living from the congregation.

And that pretty much excludes 95% of so called teachers in the world from being legitimate.

Many teachers do not get paid for their teaching. This can be okay. If a teacher is paid, no problem. Being paid is not a requirement to be a teacher.

HisServant

Many teachers do not get paid for their teaching. This can be okay. If a teacher is paid, no problem. Being paid is not a requirement to be a teacher.

They should NOT be paid.. is what I am saying... ever. Unless their job is to spread the gospel 100% of the time. If they are teaching and equipping, they are an elder and should adhere to the requirements for eldership.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
They should NOT be paid.. is what I am saying... ever. Unless their job is to spread the gospel 100% of the time. If they are teaching and equipping, they are an elder and should adhere to the requirements for eldership.
A person ministering the word of God may have been relieved of other responsibilities he now once had or he may have other responsibilities in his life, such as his family and / or his own self.

HisServant

A person ministering the word of God may have been relieved of other responsibilities he now once had or he may have other responsibilities in his life, such as his family and / or his own self.

Irrelevant... and a perversion of scripture.

Scripture is very specific about it... its non-negotiable.

HisServant

That teachers should or should not be paid? Your turn.

They shouldn't... unless their job is to spread the gospel 100% of the time.. someone like Billy Graham would qualify for that.

But if you are preaching to the same congregation or two week after week, month after month... you are an elder and should work in the secular world for you and your families financial needs.