A Thought Experiment

djhow

A Christian, Muslim and Atheist are dropped off on an island and the only food is berries which they must find in order to eat and survive. Each pray for guidance and the Atheist assumes he'll find some eventually. They all go in their own direction and do indeed find berries.

Who did God feed?

Lon

Who did God feed?

The rain falls on the just and the unjust Matthew 5:45
I would say God feeds them all as He makes it rain on the righteous and the wicked

Matthew 5:45 KJV -
:up:
As a Christian, I share berries and other resources God gives me. God isn't willing that any should perish. I have to embrace what He embraces to be called after His name.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A Christian, Muslim and Atheist are dropped off on an island and the only food is berries which they must find in order to eat and survive. Each pray for guidance and the Atheist assumes he'll find some eventually. They all go in their own direction and do indeed find berries.

Who did God feed?
No one.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Who did God feed?

The island's restless natives! :shocked: ............ :angrymob:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The island was already covered with berries.
The 3 guys went in their own directions and they all found berries no matter which direction they went.
The berries were there for anyone that showed up, so there was nothing special about the 3 guys finding berries.
Anyone that showed up would have found berries to eat.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The island was already covered with berries.
The 3 guys went in their own directions and they all found berries no matter which direction they went.
The berries were there for anyone that showed up, so there was nothing special about the 3 guys finding berries.
Anyone that showed up would have found berries to eat.

God made the berries

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God made the berries
The berries were already growing there in abundance in any direction on the island for anyone that showed up.
There was nothing special about the 3 guys finding berries.
There was no specific intervention of God for the 3 guys.

Now, if there had been no berries on the island, and God rained some down from heaven (as he did with the manna and quail), then you could say that God intervened to feed the guys.
As the story stands, there is nothing to suggest an intervention happened from God to produce berries then and there for the guys.
The berries were already there for anyone that showed up.
There was absolutely no advantage given in order for any of the 3 guys to find berries on the island to eat.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The berries were already growing there in abundance in any direction on the island for anyone that showed up.
There was nothing special about the 3 guys finding berries.
There was no specific intervention of God for the 3 guys.

Now, if there had been no berries on the island, and God rained some down from heaven (as he did with the manna and quail), then you could say that God intervened to feed the guys.
As the story stands, there is nothing to suggest an intervention happened from God to produce berries then and there for the guys.
The berries were already there for anyone that showed up.
There was absolutely no advantage given in order for any of the 3 guys to find berries on the island to eat.
So according to you, it's just evolution that the berries were there - interesting

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Who did God feed?
The answer is that God has provided what is necessary, so any who seek it will find it.

Now the more interesting question, to my mind, is what happens if all those berries are in one spot and X finds that spot first. If X is the Christian he will be obligated to do for his neighbor what he would want done for himself or, failing, gain the bush at the expense of his soul. If X is the Muslim he may be moved to charity or he may promise them until the infidels are weak enough to capture and convert or kill as enemies of God. And if the atheist is X he will likely share them to illustrate his own innate goodness without religion until one of the others have had enough and hit him with a rock... or he might keep them for himself and watch the other two starve, because he knows it's unlikely the two will actually work together to take them from him.

djhow

very interesting lol nice one so if we are assuming that each of them are the best of what they represent i.e. what Jesus would do, what Mohamed would do and what a human would do?

would Jesus feel obligated to share the food?
If X is the Christian he will be obligated to do for his neighbor

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
very interesting lol nice one so if we are assuming that each of them are the best of what they represent i.e. what Jesus would do, what Mohamed would do and what a human would do?
That plus...or, I noted the Christian should do a thing or lose his claim, that the Muslim had two particular choices within his faith (which to my mind illustrates that his faith is problematic and rationally a lesser instrument of good even outside of the particular claims to the divine) and took an amiable swipe at the tendency of the atheist in charity among the faithful, while noting that if he chooses to follow the selfish path (which he is as free to claim as not) that the tendency of both Christian and Muslim might work against any real idea either had of the good.

Mostly I thought it was a little funny.

would Jesus feel obligated to share the food?
Jesus died to bring salvation to people who were in the act of murdering him...you think he'd balk at handing out a fish or two? :e4e: