California makes it legal for children to be prostitutes

musterion

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
nononononono

we've all been told by those who claim to be "experts" that this will never happen

that a societal move toward the acceptance of underage sex (aka pedophilia) will nevernevernevernever happen

and they stamped their feet and insisted

so there :p

musterion

So now every pimp California will want to "employ" only children. Wonderful.

Did anyone think this through before passing it?
What a stupid, short-sighted, and disgusting bit of legislation.

I believe the article said pimping and pandering would still be fully prosecutable...if the pimp is caught. But a 17 year old free agent won't be able to be busted now.

Which raises another question...if a 17 year old can't be arrested for prostitution, can the adult who buys the services of the teen whore be busted as well? It's either illegal or it isn't. Someone will eventually fight an arrest in court on those grounds.

Arthur Brain

I believe the article said pimping and pandering would still be fully prosecutable...if the pimp is caught. But a 17 year old free agent won't be able to be busted now.

Which raises another question...if a 17 year old can't be arrested for prostitution, can the adult who buys the services of the teen whore be busted as well? It's either illegal or it isn't. Someone will eventually fight an arrest in court on those grounds.

Well of course they can be. It's illegal for an adult to have sex with a minor, there's nothing changing about that so what exactly is the problem here? The law being passed is about getting underage people help rather than prosecution so what's so wrong about that?

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
This is from the extremely biased right-wing rag the Washington Examiner, so I'm extremely doubtful about this story . There may be some truth to it, but this story has most likely been spun by the paper .

ok doser

This is from the extremely biased right-wing rag the Washington Examiner, so I'm extremely doubtful about this story . There may be some truth to it, but this story has most likely been spun by the paper .

gee, if only there was a way for you to google it :dizzy:

ok doser

nononononono

we've all been told by those who claim to be "experts" that this will never happen

that a societal move toward the acceptance of underage sex (aka pedophilia) will nevernevernevernever happen

and they stamped their feet and insisted

so there :p

oh look - here's one of the retards i was talking about:

Well of course they can be. It's illegal for an adult to have sex with a minor, there's nothing changing about that so what exactly is the problem here? The law being passed is about getting underage people help rather than prosecution so what's so wrong about that?

glassjester

I believe the article said pimping and pandering would still be fully prosecutable...if the pimp is caught.

But wouldn't the pimp try to only use underage prostitutes, so that they can't be arrested? If they can't be arrested, they can't sell him out in a plea bargain, right?

On what grounds, exactly? I think the 17-year-old would be considered the victim, right? You don't need two offenders to charge somebody with a crime.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There's something very skewed in the story- they probably decided not to charge the minors with anything, or charge participants with statutory rape because they would assume they were of age.

Something, but not some legalization of underage prostitution :chuckle:

glassjester

That it makes no sense. Someone will make the case that if it isn't illegal for a teenager to sell sex, then it can't be illegal for someone else to buy it.

Sure... just like if it's not a crime for someone to be assaulted, then assaulting someone must not be a crime. :doh:

glassjester

Something, but not some legalization of underage prostitution :chuckle:

But that's what it amounts to, from the money-making end of things, right?

This will increase child prostitution, guaranteed.
Less risk for the pimps, if their prostitutes can't be arrested.

glassjester

The law being passed is about getting underage people help rather than prosecution so what's so wrong about that?

Because it encourages pimps and sex traffickers to use children more often. Less risk for them, if their victims can't be arrested.

Also, it just makes no sense. What other crimes should we legalize for children?
Robbery? Murder?

If something is decriminalized, it increases.
No way around that one.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
But that's what it amounts to, from the money-making end of things, right?

This will increase child prostitution, guaranteed.
Less risk for the pimps, if their prostitutes can't be arrested.

Do you live in California?

Let me tell you something about that state- the thugs and pimps aren't scared about anything anyway. Once they have their second strike against them, they will do anything before being arrested again. That's the backward effect of their tree strikes deal, and why it hasn't done much for their gang and trafficking epidemic.

Arthur Brain

Because it encourages pimps and sex traffickers to use children more often. Less risk for them, if their victims can't be arrested.

Also, it just makes no sense. What other crimes should we legalize for children?
Robbery? Murder?

No way around that one.

The following is the aim:

http://sd30.senate.ca.gov/news/pres...r-brown-signs-sb-1322-declaring-there-no-such

In principle I agree with it. Sex trafficked minors should be regarded as victims as oppose to criminals. In no way are those exploiting children or those paying to have sex with them going to get away if caught here, it's simply that instead of the child being locked up and tarred with a criminal record they'll get help instead. Now what is wrong with that?

ok doser

No way around that one.

http://sd30.senate.ca.gov/news/pres...r-brown-signs-sb-1322-declaring-there-no-such

In principle I agree with it. Sex trafficked minors should be regarded as victims as oppose to criminals. In no way are those exploiting children or those paying to have sex with them going to get away if caught here, it's simply that instead of the child being locked up and tarred with a criminal record they'll get help instead. Now what is wrong with that?

:think:

i spose there's nothing wrong with that artie, if you want to see the instances of child sexual exploitation increase

glassjester

I understand the good intention behind it.
I just think it's short-sighted.

This will increase child prostitution.

Arthur Brain

I understand the good intention behind it.
I just think it's short-sighted.

Why will it? The only difference here is that the child victims (which is what they are, not criminals) are given help as oppose to facing prosecution. Nobody's going soft on those exploiting children and those caught having sex with minors and trafficking them are going to be prosecuted the same as now.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Not really.
It's not much of a deterrent to begin with in arresting prostitutes.

On the other hand, it is odd that California is worried about juveniles racking up charges, because it's all expunged when they become legal adults. There's exception, but generally courts tend to not really care what they load them up with because of it.

There's obviously an angle Cali is going at that requires more insight- it's also easily the most bizarre state as far as law and order goes.