10 Reasons I am no longer a leftist

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The 1960s left hated the mainstream, yet now they want to be the mainstream; this change, Brexit and Trump election threatens their security as the unquestionable status quo of 'correctness'. The election in France, Marine Le Pen winning, would re-balance the western world, away from the liberalism.

eider

A snippet of an article making its way around the internet at large and well worth the long read.

Ten Reasons I am no longer a leftist
by Danusha V. Goska

How far left was I? So far left my beloved uncle was a card-carrying member of the Communist Party in a Communist country...So far left that a self-identified terrorist proposed marriage to me. So far left I was a two-time Peace Corps volunteer and I have a degree from UC Berkeley.... I wore a button saying "Eat the Rich."... ten reasons I am no longer a leftist....

10) Huffiness.
... We rushed to cast everyone in one of three roles: victim, victimizer, or champion of the oppressed. We lived our lives in a constant state of outraged indignation. I did not want to live that way anymore. I wanted to cultivate a disposition of gratitude. I wanted to see others, not as victims or victimizers, but as potential friends, as loved creations of God.....

9) Selective Outrage (inconsistent)
I never witnessed significant leftist outrage over [self mutilization], child marriage, honor killing, sharia-inspired rape laws, stoning, or acid attacks. Nothing. Zip. Crickets. I'm not saying that that outrage does not exist. I'm saying I never saw it.
The left's selective outrage convinced me that much canonical, left-wing feminism is not so much support for women, as it is a protest against Western, heterosexual men. It's an "I hate" phenomenon, rather than an "I love" phenomenon.

8.) It's the thought that counts [do as I say, not as I do]
My favorite bumper sticker in ultra-liberal Berkeley, California: "Think Globally; Screw up Locally." In other words, "Love Humanity but Hate People."
Small beginnings greater ends.
..... "Only intolerant oppressors judge others' cultures."
... Mother Teresa, advised, "Don't look for big things, just do small things with great love." ....
Hillary's chuckles when reminiscing about her legal victory suggest that, in her assessment, her contribution to the ruination of the life of a rape victim is of relatively negligible import.

7) Leftists hate my people.

.... "Property is theft" is a communist motto, but no one is more house-proud than a first generation Pole who has escaped landless peasantry and secured his suburban nest.
..., leftists, in the academy, in media, and in casual speech, blamed working-class ethnics for American crimes, including racism and the "imperialist" war in Vietnam....
Leftists freely label poor whites as "redneck," "white trash," "trailer trash," and "hillbilly." At the same time that leftists toss around these racist and classist slurs, they are so sanctimonious they forbid anyone to pronounce the N word when reading Mark Twain aloud. President Bill Clinton's advisor James Carville succinctly summed up leftist contempt for poor whites in his memorable quote, "Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find."
The left's visceral hatred of poor whites overflowed like a broken sewer when John McCain chose Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate in 2008. It would be impossible, and disturbing, to attempt to identify the single most offensive comment that leftists lobbed at Palin....
The left is still looking for its proletariat. It supports mass immigration for this reason.... mass immigration from Latin America has sabotaged America's working poor.
It's more than a little bit weird that leftists, who describe themselves as the voice of the worker, select workers as their hated other of choice, and targets of their failed social engineering.

6) I believe in God.
.... Hang out in leftist internet environments, and you will discover a toxic bath of irrational hatred for the Judeo-Christian tradition. You will discover an alternate vocabulary in which Jesus is a "dead Jew on a stick" or a "zombie" and any belief is an arbitrary sham, the equivalent of a recently invented "flying spaghetti monster." You will discover historical revisionism that posits Nazism as a Christian denomination. You will discover a rejection of the Judeo-Christian foundation of Western Civilization and American concepts of individual rights and law. You will discover a nihilist void, the kind of vacuum of meaning that nature abhors and that, all too often, history fills with the worst totalitarian nightmares, the rough beast that slouches toward Bethlehem.

5 & 4) Straw men and "In order to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs[purposeful lying, the ends justify the means]."
It astounds me now to reflect on it, but never, in all my years of leftist activism, did I ever hear anyone articulate accurately the position of anyone to our right. In fact, I did not even know those positions when I was a leftist.
"Truth is that which serves the party." The capital-R revolution was such a good, it could eliminate all that was bad, that manipulating facts was not even a venial sin; it was a good. If you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. One of those eggs was objective truth.
.... The leftist strategy of slandering those who speak uncomfortable facts suppresses discourse and has a devastating impact on confrontations with truth in journalism and on college campuses.

2 & 3) It doesn't work. Other approaches work better.
... My students are hogtied by ignorance. I find myself speaking to young people born in the U.S. in a truncated pidgin I would use with a train station chai wallah in Calcutta.
Many of my students lack awareness of a lot more than vocabulary....
My students do know -- because they have been taught this -- that America is run by all-powerful racists who will never let them win. My students know -- because they have been drilled in this -- that the only way they can get ahead is to locate and cultivate those few white liberals who will pity them and scatter crumbs on their supplicant, bowed heads and into their outstretched palms. My students have learned to focus on the worst thing that ever happened to them, assume that it happened because America is unjust, and to recite that story, dirge-like, to whomever is in charge, from the welfare board to college professors, and to await receipt of largesse.
1) Hate.
If hate were the only reason, I'd stop being a leftist for this reason alone.
... nouns expressing the emotions of anger, aggression, and disgust, and verbs speaking of destruction, punishing, and wreaking vengeance, outnumbered any other class of words.
One topic thread was entitled "What do you view as disgusting about modern America?" The thread was begun in 2002. Almost eight thousand posts later, the thread was still going strong in June, 2014.
...left-wing...did what they did every .... because they wanted to destroy something, and because they hated someone, rather than because they wanted to build something, or because they loved someone. You went to an anti-war rally because you hated Bush, not because you loved peace. .... My right-wing acquaintances talked about loving: God, their family, their community. I'm not saying that the right-wingers I knew were better people; I don't know that they were. I'm speaking here, merely, about language.

This OP is very truncated and so well worth the longer read if you have time (some adult themes).
Read more: Ten Reasons I am No Longer a Leftist

Gosh! :D
What a rant!
Well, thank goodness that you got all that off your chest!

:jolly:

Lon

Gosh! :D
What a rant!
Well, thank goodness that you got all that off your chest!

:jolly:
Sorry, as I had to apologize to Jonahdog, I have to apologize to you: The first line of the OP said it was not my quote but the quote of another. Because people don't read for understanding in forums, I see how this was missed. It isn't my quote. -Lon

eider

Sorry, as I had to apologize to Jonahdog, I have to apologize to you: The first line of the OP said it was not my quote but the quote of another. Because people don't read for understanding in forums, I see how this was missed. It isn't my quote. -Lon

My apologies!
It's late here, and I'm old, and quite silly1
:D

Reactions: Lon

eider

................................. It isn't my quote. -Lon

OK......... but obviously you do feel empathy for the author, I'm guessing.

But.......... both the Old Testament Laws and Jesus were clearly strongly supportive of the working people and the poor. I am quite prepared to overlook those who bring discredit upon the Labour Party (your leftists?) in favour of its fundamental principles, just as I can see many Conservative Party supporters (your rightists?) are probably overlooking the US President at this time.

A very interesting situation.....?

Lon

(
OK......... but obviously you do feel empathy for the author, I'm guessing.
Somewhat. She was VERY far left (communism) so in some ways, her post would have some meaning for democrats. There's an interesting thought: can one be a 'democratic communist?' To me, it seems counter-intuitive. Well worth the long read of her though. Some of it would certainly apply directly to Democrats. Some of it even to Republicans. -Lon

eider

(
Somewhat. She was VERY far left (communism) so in some ways, her post would have some meaning for democrats. There's an interesting thought: can one be a 'democratic communist?' To me, it seems counter-intuitive. Well worth the long read of her though. Some of it would certainly apply directly to Democrats. Some of it even to Republicans. -Lon

All good points!
The fact that Communist working folks could get into very deep and very nasty trouble if, for instance, they would hold a strike or picket line is the antithesis of Labour-Left Wing policy.

I never thought that the USSR supported true left-wing policies at all...... the tyrant dictator and henchmen, all living fine and fat, with their luxury holiday homes (dacha's?) and wealth...... hmmm...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
With the Libertarian movement infiltrating the Republican Party in the last election (and many democrats crossing Party lines as well), and hence helping elect the "leftist" Donald Trump, you do realize Lon that using past guidelines of differentiating between the left and the right are no longer applicable.

Agree. This article was more of the FAR left, with communism influence. As far as your observation of 'regular' Democrats or 'regular' Republicans (whatever that definition may be), I think you are correct.

My point is that the words "right" and "left" aren't properly defined when used in the context of politics.

The supposed "right" is the political party that gave us Roe v Wade which is responsible for the death of close to 60 million human beings over the past 40+ years and hasn't done anything to overturn it, even though they've had the opportunity to do so.

The supposed "right" worships a man (Ronald Reagan), who as Governor of California was largely responsible for abortion, homosexuality and no-fault divorce (hence broken families) going mainstream and who as President didn't do anything to undo those wrongs.

Now the supposed "right" has elected an unrepentant moral degenerate who amongst other things proudly flies the rainbow flag of death and appointed an evil man as Secretary of State who as head of the once God-fearing Boy Scouts of America has done away with their "morally straight" motto.

We as Christians simply have to vote our conscience any more.

Except that the Bible doesn't say that. Voting your conscience gives leeway to vote in evil people like Donald Trump by justifying that the other major candidate is somehow more evil.

When it comes to voting, follow God's guidelines as seen in Holy Scripture:

“Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.”
Exodus 18:21

Trust in God, He won't let us down.

MrDante

This painting, depicting the beheading of Donald Trump, is from the University of Alaska, Anchorage. See https://heatst.com/culture-wars/u-of-alaska-we-wont-take-down-painting-of-beheaded-donald-trump/

View attachment 25600

Its a stretch but point to you.

However I don't think the artist paying homage to Cellini's Perseus actually wants Chris Evans or Captain America or anyone to actually kill President Trump.

I can't say the same of the people who put up the hundreds of Obama effigies.

obama-effigy.jpg

Zeke

Trivial merry go round to keep the two party slaves decided while they get herded by their masters. More important would be waking up to the war powers act and the bankruptcy of 1933 that made you a debt slave.

Sent from my A462C using TheologyOnline mobile app