College Football 2016

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Steve Sarkisian has joined fellow USC firee as an Alabama coach.

If you ask me, Saban is making good coaching hires. One doesn't need to have head coach/CEO qualities to be a great football coach on a staff.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Another reason I love Saban as a coach. We just had our way with Western Kentucky, beat them 38-10, putting up nearly five hundred yards of offense and his response was to give his offensive coordinator a public tail kicking for arrogant complacency. He thought his team didn't play the kind of football he wanted, that they didn't respect their opponent, practice well or play a disciplined game. He was disappointed...and you absolutely didn't want to be in the winning locker room after the game.

That's why Alabama doesn't get complacent and slide. One man with a clear vision and purpose. A lot like The Bear in that. And I think that's what separates the greats from the really, really goods.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Another reason I love Saban as a coach. We just had our way with Western Kentucky, beat them 38-10, putting up nearly five hundred yards of offense and his response was to give his offensive coordinator a public tail kicking for arrogant complacency. He thought his team didn't play the kind of football he wanted, that they didn't respect their opponent, practice well or play a disciplined game. He was disappointed...and you absolutely didn't want to be in the winning locker room after the game.

That's why Alabama doesn't get complacent and slide. One man with a clear vision and purpose. A lot like The Bear in that. And I think that's what separates the greats from the really, really goods.
During the nine years Saban has served as head football coach, Alabama has compiled an overall official record of 101 [a]–18 (.849) (106–18 on the field), seven bowl game appearances with five victories, a share of five SEC Western Division titles, four SEC championships, and four national championships.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pitt beating Penn State brought back a lot of memories.

I'm really glad they renewed the series.

[MENTION=6141]Nick M[/MENTION]:

Pitt has the 4th most players in the NFL HOF.

As of the current NFL.com Top 100 players in the NFL, only two colleges have more on the list than Pitt. HERE

Yet, Pitt hasn't been ranked in the top 5 since 1982 (Dan Marino's senior year)

Alabama (who keeps winning National Championships) has one player on the list (Julio Jones) despite 18 first round draft picks since 2009.

Tom Brady is Michigan's lone member in the Top 100.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pitt has the 4th most players in the NFL HOF.
One more than Alabama.

As of the current NFL.com Top 100 players in the NFL, only two colleges have more on the list than Pitt. HERE
Alabama has more National Championships though, which is the point of playing the game.

Yet, Pitt hasn't been ranked in the top 5 since 1982 (Dan Marino's senior year)
You need great teams to win Championships and the coaching to provide that sort of cohesiveness. Between Bear, Stallings, and Saban, we've been blessed with that sort of vision. That's why I was smiling as Saban lit into his offensive coordinator and called out his team for arrogance and complacency.

Alabama (who keeps winning National Championships) has one player on the list (Julio Jones) despite 18 first round draft picks since 2009.
That sounds terrible until you look at the list of schools with top ten draft picks over the last 20 years. Alabama, just outside of that top ten, in 11th place, has 1 player on 96 top ten picks in 20 years. That's one back of Florida State and its 28 more picks and tied with Ohio State despite its 27 additional first rounders.

Not really a meaningful stat. First, because its stretched over time and if a school had a large part of its top ten picks over five years in the past those players are, on average, out of the league. Almost entirely out by the eight to ten year mark.

School/top ten NFL draft picks/players on current best 100 list:

1. Florida State 124/2
2. Ohio State 123/1
3. USC 113/4
4. Miami FL 111/3
5. Florida, 107/3
Georgia, 107/6
7. Tenn, 106/1
8. Neb, 99/3
9. LSU, 98/5
10. Notre Dame, 97/2

Tom Brady is Michigan's lone member in the Top 100.
If you have Tom Brady how many more do you need?

Roll Tide. :e4e:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
School/top ten NFL draft picks/players on current best 100 list:

1. Florida State 124/2
2. Ohio State 123/1
3. USC 113/4
4. Miami FL 111/3
5. Florida, 107/3
Georgia, 107/6
7. Tenn, 106/1
8. Neb, 99/3
9. LSU, 98/5
10. Notre Dame, 97/2

Seems about right, except Texas. Miami keeps putting players in the NFL, no matter how bad their coaches have been recently.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dave Wannstedt was all giddy on the BTN. He was clearly pleased. His Big Ten connection is being the Chicago coach. All of their analysts have some sort of connection, except him. It's ok by me, he has great insight.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave Wannstedt was all giddy on the BTN. He was clearly pleased.

That's because he's from Pittsburgh, played at Pitt, was a coach at Pitt, and then became the head coach at Pitt. He hates Penn State.

His Big Ten connection is being the Chicago coach.

That's the only connection there is.

All of their analysts have some sort of connection, except him. It's ok by me, he has great insight.

In 1977 Wannstedt and Jimmy Johnson were young coaches together at Pitt under Johnny Majors, and became friends. When Johnson became the HC at Oklahoma St, he took Wannstedt with him. Then when Johnson became the HC at the Miami Hurricanes, he took Wannstedt with him. Then when Johnson became the HC of the Cowboys, he again took Wannstedt with him.

Wannstedt was a coach when Pitt won its championship in 1976, again when the Hurricanes won it in 1987, and was the defensive coordinator when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1992.

However, he never did well as a HC at Chicago, the Miami Dolphins, or Pitt. He never had a good QB at any of those places, and one of the dumbest things he did was start Tyler Palco over Joe Flacco, which led to Flacco transferring from Pitt to Delaware.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Arguably, the games this weekend are better than week 1.

2FSU and 10Louisville are at 11:00. This will tell us a lot about both teams. Of course we already know quite a bit about FSU and they have talent.

1Alabama and 19 Ole Miss go at it again. I wonder if it will be like the last 2 years with bizarre plays leading directly to the Rebel wins. I say Alabama gets even. Ole Miss looked very solid in their loss to an overpowering FSU team in week 1, if memory is short. This will go to DVR.

12Michigan State and 19 ND have been good recently. I will have this one on DVR.

3Ohio State and 14Oklahoma will be another DVR game. I can't watch them all at once. This game lost a little luster after OU lost to Houston in week 1. Bob Stoops has only lost 8 games in 18 years at home in Norman.

7Stanford has USCCC. I will watch just for curiosity of the Trojans.

And Colorado and 4Michigan are playing. Kordell Stewart and Michael Westbrook are not available to play. Colorado is very quietly 2-0.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If you watch an HD conversion in slow mo, you will see the ball bounces of Ty Law's head and maybe another.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Watching BTN Live on the Big Ten Network. They were quick to point out that OSU vs OU is #1 all time vs #2 all time, by AP rankings. Speaking of which I wonder about some specifics to that point system. It doesn't matter one way or another. But how does OU and their 48 game win streak end up #2? Must be too many years of mediocrity.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Arguably, the games this weekend are better than week 1.

Pitt at Oklahoma St. The winner should end up ranked.

Speaking of Oklahoma St........they had Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas in the same backfield in 1987.

Despite Sanders rushing for 2,628 yards in 1988 (Thomas left after 1987), Thurman Thomas has the most rushing yards in Oklahoma St. history with 4,595 yards.

Thomas and Sanders may be the best backfield duo in college football history (based on NFL yards). The only other duo that comes close is Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell at Penn State.

Thomas and Sanders are both in the NFL HOF. The only other college duo to both go on to the NFL HOF are Larry Csonka and Floyd Little from Syracuse.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the history of college football and the NFL, only 3 running backs have gained at least 6,000 yards in college and at least 6,000 yards in the NFL.

1) Tony Dorsett
2) Ricky Williams
3) DeAngelo Williams

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thomas and Sanders may be the best backfield duo in college football history (based on NFL yards). The only other duo that comes close is Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell at Penn State.

Then it isn't the best in college is it? If you base it on NFL yards. Terrel Davis did not light the world on fire at Georgia before lighting the NFL on fire culminating in his 2000 yard season.

If it is just college, it could be Eric Dickerson and Craig James.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ole Miss played one heck of a first half...but the game has two of them. 24 points in the first half...3 pts going late into the fourth quarter.

Okay, a garbage time td. So it's 48-37

Roll Tide.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just turned on the tube and see Louisville won 63-20 against Florida State. I can officially say shocking. I will have to catch a replay to see the melt down. Louisville will be top 5, and FSU is out of the playoff picture with a beating like that. That means the ACC might be out of it.