Berkley or Dallas?

Foxfire

rexlunae

i spose 'cause it's a sanctuary city

And you think that means it's full of people who are un-American?

are you referring to the illegal family separation scheme that applied to all immigrants who applied for visas to come to the us?

No, I'm referring to the policy that applied to anyone who crossed the border legally to apply for asylum in the United States. Or who, at worst, could be charged with a misdemeanor.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
For one thing, he seems to want immigrants to assimilate into his standard of what American is. And he wants to cast some cities as more American than others. And he's already made himself pretty clear.

He's got some fellow travelers:

White Supremacists' Disturbing Outreach to 'Russian Friends'

Most recently, this connection manifested in a letter from Michael Hill, the president of the neo-Confederate group League of the South, addressed to “our Russian Friends,” as reported by Right Wing Watch.

In the letter, Hill announces the launch of Russian language section on his group’s website and draws out his shared interests with Russia:

We understand that the Russian people and Southerners are natural allies in blood, culture, and religion. As fellow Whites of northern European extraction, we come from the same general gene pool. As inheritors of the European cultural tradition, we share similar values, customs, and ways of life. And as Christians, we worship the same Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and our common faith binds us as brothers and sisters.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And you think that means it's full of people who are un-American?

one american value is a general respect for the law, so yes

No, I'm referring to the policy that applied to anyone who crossed the border legally to apply for asylum in the United States. Or who, at worst, could be charged with a misdemeanor.

i think it was a mistake to change that policy

rexlunae

one american value is a general respect for the law, so yes

Hm, well, there's nothing illegal about the sanctuary city law (see federalism), and welcoming immigrants, not splitting up families, and basic human rights are also American values. So, there.

i think it was a mistake to change that policy

I think it was a crime against humanity. It is more or less what Boko Haram does.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
main-qimg-063a25804bad651a9350eb9d70f44c8d

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You know what's un-American? Trying to divide Americans by conceptually casting them out of the country like this. Dallas is America. So is Berkley.

Yep. Diversity is what America is. There is no "culture of America", only American values that permeate all American cultures.

Dallas and Berkeley are pretty much alike in those values, although the relatively few people in each city who don't accept those values, do so in entirely different ways.

And it's often counter-intuitive. For example, Dallas police officers kill at a much lower rate than the police in most large cities. Dallas is not the right-wing jungle that people sometimes assume it to be.

Last edited:

ClimateSanity

Of course they do. But the two cities are equally American, so by definition they can't be more or less American than each other. You can compare them to other places, but you can't push them out of being American.

They are both geographically American. They are both legally American.
2018 Geographic America is American as 1812 Geographic America.

However, the latter is fundamentally different culturally than the former. This occurred for three reasons.

The people forgot what was unique about America and began to see America for it's flaws instead of it's strengths.

An elite , typically highly educated, establishment class worked diligently to change America from what made it great. This was largely seen in the establishment of the progressive movement whom teddy Roosevelt was it's first highly visible proponent.

Immigrants began to be brought in more for their economic use than for their appreciation for the American ideal.

You cannot say the resulting culture was no different than original culture in terms of the ideal of the American experiment.

That is unless you are a historical revisionist who has no respect whatsoever for the original American ideal and sees it fundamentally as racist, mysogonistic, and imperialistic. These people define original America through it's faults rather than it's unique system of governance and it's view of the sovereignty of the individual.

This is the essence of my topic which was misunderstood from the start.

If you believe borders should be open and all the world's people entitled to citizenship....then of course you will take umbrage at my topic.

ClimateSanity

Yep. Diversity is what America is. There is no "culture of America", only American values that permeate all American cultures.

Dallas and Berkeley are pretty much alike in those values, although the relatively few people in each city who don't accept those values, do so in entirely different ways.

And it's often counter-intuitive. For example, Dallas police officers kill at a much lower rate than the police in most large cities. Dallas is not the right-wing jungle that people sometimes assume it to be.

Diversity has become the defining characteristic of America to it's ruling intellectual elites, but it certainly was not the defining characteristic to the founding fathers or to the vast majority of citizens in 1812 America.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Diversity has become the defining characteristic of America to it's ruling intellectual elites, but it certainly was not the defining characteristic to the founding fathers or to the vast majority of citizens in 1812 America.

have you noticed that when pressed to give their understanding of what "diversity" means, the typical retarded leftist can't?

ClimateSanity

not to be a monkey in the wrench, but in 1812 neither California nor texas were american

I was showing what happened to America since 1812 culturally. Rex's point was that they are both American cities and he felt like I was saying berkley was not legitimate.

I countered that with the fact that 1812 and 2018 America were both legally American and yet one was far adrift from the country the founders had in mind.

Berkley is exponentially further from the founders ideals than Dallas is.

That last sentence hopefully makes the message I was trying to convey crystal clear.