ECT Jesus only “knows” believers who are obedient

ZacharyB

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day,
‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name,
and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
… But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and
beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” (Matthew 7:21-27, NKJV)

I never knew you who practice lawlessness, break God’s laws, act wickedly
Matthew 7:23, “knew” >> to know, “ginosko”, Strong’s #1097.
From “Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words” …
“to know, ‘ginosko’, Strong’s #1097: “here the ‘knowing’ suggests approval and
bears the meaning ‘to be approved’ in 2 Tim 2:19; cf. John 10:14, John 10:27”
“The Lord knows (approves of) those who are His” (2 Timothy 2:19)
“I know (approve of) My sheep, and am known by My own.” (John 10:14)
“My sheep hear My voice, and I know (approve of) them, and they follow Me.
And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish …” (John 10:27-28)
Matt 7:23 (NASB) “I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.”
Matt 7:23 (NLT) “I never knew you. Get away from Me, you who break God’s laws.”
Matt 7:23 (TLB) “You have never been Mine. Go away, for your deeds are evil.”
Matt 7:23 (AMP) “depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].”

Jesus has never approved of those so-called “believers” …
who “practice lawlessness” instead of practicing righteousness!
“In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest:
whoever does NOT practice righteousness is NOT of God” (1 John 3:10)
Do you really believe practicing righteousness includes habitually sinning?

Great was the fall
Those who hear Jesus’ sayings, but don’t do them, have a great fall.
Is this fall from salvation, or from rewards? Lol

If you really know Jesus, you love Him and obey His commandments

John 14:15, 21, 23, 24 • “If anyone loves Me, he will obey My word (commandments).”
John 8:31 • “If you abide in (obey) My word, you are My disciples indeed.”
John 8:51 • “Most assuredly … if anyone obeys My word he shall never see death.”

Matthew 19:17 • “But if you want to enter into (eternal) life, obey the commandments.”
Luke 8:21 • “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and obey it.”
Luke 11:28 • “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it!”
Luke 8:15 • “But the ones (hearers of the word of God) that fell on the good ground
are those who … obey it and bear fruit with patience.”

Hebrews 5:9 • “He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
James 1:21 • “But be obeyers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
Romans 8:4, NLT • “So now we are able to obey God’s laws, if we follow after the Holy Spirit”

1 John 2:3 • “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we obey His commandments.
1 John 2:17 • “… but he who obeys the will of God abides forever.”
1 John 3:24 • “Now he who obeys His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.”

So, whose slave do you choose to be? … “(a slave) of sin leading to death,
OR (a slave) of obedience leading to righteousness” (Romans 6:16)

To the grace-only believer
Don’t you care if Jesus “knows” (approves of) you or not?
Do you really believe that you’re going to heaven regardless?
Part of being “lukewarm” is NOT obeying Jesus’ commandments!
It’s all selfishness … not caring anything about the wishes of our Savior.
Jesus says: If you are a lukewarm believer, you think you are A-OK, but …
“you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked” (Revelation 3:17).

john w

Hall of Fame
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day,
‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name,
and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
… But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and
beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” (Matthew 7:21-27, NKJV)

I never knew you who practice lawlessness, break God’s laws, act wickedly
Matthew 7:23, ....

Since, according to you, all of the scripture, is specifically addressed to everyone, and is about them, and is for their obedience, let's continue on to Matthew, 8, which follows Matthew 7, which you employ, in your argument, shall we? Good!

Matthew 8 KJV

1 When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him.

2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Obey verse 4. Do it. Agreed?

john w

Hall of Fame

John 14:15, 21, 23, 24 • “If anyone loves Me, he will obey My word (commandments).”

You deleted/omitted...
John 14 KJV
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

So, if I /you, ask the Lord Jesus Christ, for a Porsche 911, we are good to go, since, according to you, all of the scripture, is specifically addressed to everyone, and is about them, is for their obedience, and applies to them?

ZacharyB

You who laugh at clear Scriptural Truth are indeed in deep do-do.

Do you understand where garbage goes? It goes into the garbage dump.
The great garbage dumpster way down below.

Those led by God's Spirit are sons of God (Romans 8:14).

Those led by Satan end up in the great dumpster where Satan and his demons will be residing.

And to think that some believe this to be a great big joke!

Jerry Shugart

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Here the Lord Jesus tells us exactly what is the will of the Father:

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

Do you believe that? That those who "believe" in the Lord Jesus will have eternal life and will be raised from the dead? If you believe in the Lord Jesus then you will believe what He said here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life"
(Jn.5:24).​

If you are not believing these things then you are not doing the will of the Father and therefore you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:

Danoh

Those led by Satan end up in the great dumpster where Satan and his demons will be residing.

Hey scholar - within that chapter's scope and context, what that verse is saying is that those Believers who allow themselves to be led of the Spirit of God dwelling in all Believers are conducting themselves like the sons of God He has made them to conduct themselves as in His Son :doh:

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

He is talking to Believers about how they are to and can overcome the flesh's temptation given who God has made them in Christ, and as a result - the access they have to that empowerment dwelling in them towards that overcoming, now that the Spirit dwells in them.

8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Its' a pep talk to Believers, you incompetent :chuckle:

A sort of "if you say He dwells in you, well then, tap into Him - don't attempt to walk in Him in your own fleshly strength and its' resulting spiritual death, failure; condemnation; and fear..."

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
You deleted/omitted...
John 14 KJV
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

So, if I /you, ask the Lord Jesus Christ, for a Porsche 911, we are good to go, since, according to you, all of the scripture, is specifically addressed to everyone, and is about them, is for their obedience, and applies to them?

"Ah wushed ah had a wartermelon. Ah wushed ah had a wartermelon."- Stymie

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

The Lord taught His Apostles, and the Lord chose His Apostles to teach His Church, and His Apostles chose bishops to teach His Church, and we still have them today.

Danoh

The Lord taught His Apostles, and the Lord chose His Apostles to teach His Church, and His Apostles chose bishops to teach His Church, and we still have them today.

You - are - delusional.

As delusional as you are in your reading your self- delusion into the sense of Matt. 16:18.

Earlier, He had established what He'd meant and Who He was referring to.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

When asked Who Peter believed He was, Peter had been a solid rock in his confession that He was the Christ.

He then admired Peter's solid rock confession right in that moment and then related that upon, or out of that kind of a solid rock confession - that He was the Christ - He would build His assembly (iklessia: church).

Fact is, that just as He Himself had said earlier, in Matthew 7 - Jesus Himself was ever said Rock...

1 Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

:doh:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You - are - delusional.

As delusional as you are in your reading your self- delusion into the sense of Matt. 16:18.
Spoiler

Earlier, He had established what He'd meant and Who He was referring to.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

When asked Who Peter believed He was, Peter had been a solid rock in his confession that He was the Christ.

He then admired Peter's solid rock confession right in that moment and then related that upon, or out of that kind of a solid rock confession - that He was the Christ - He would build His assembly (iklessia: church).
Matthew 16:18 AENT "I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it." (BR, emphasis mine)
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Danoh

Matthew 16:18 AENT "I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it." (BR, emphasis mine)

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

You - are - delusional.

Earlier, He had established Who and What He was referring to.

Fact is, that just as He Himself had said earlier, in Matthew 7 - Jesus Himself was ever said Rock...

1 Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
One single passage, which was already as clear as could be, in "the" English or in "the Greek," in "the Aramaic" is even so clear that anybody not deluded could see its plain meaning. You provide wall of text to try to argue that it doesn't mean what it says. No, I think I'll go with that you're the delusional one here.

ZacharyB

Here the Lord Jesus tells us exactly what is the will of the Father:

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).
"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" [/I](Jn.5:24).
If you are not believing these things then you are not doing the will of the Father and therefore you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
We've been down this road before!
There are many NT verses about doing the will of God, not just your fav ones!
There's a trick here ...
Those who believe are given the ability to believe by the Lord!
God's elect (chosen ones) are given the necessary seed of faith to believe!
But, I'm not supposed to be giving pearls to swine, and there are some here!
So, my bad.