Thanks
    Thanked 7,419 Times in 4,815 Posts

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    Yes and they were refererred to as "Greeks"
    Some Gentiles were Greeks and others were not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,419 Times in 4,815 Posts

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Paul says otherwise.

7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints:
    13 Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles.
    He was addressing those particular words to the Gentile believers in the church at Rome and not to the Jewish believers.

Are you saying that when Paul used the word "Gentiles" in this verse he was referring to Jews?:

"For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office" (Ro.11:13).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    There's no scriptural evidence that Cornelius was circumcised. He was a blesser (Genesis 12:3 KJV),

Acts 10:1-2 KJV There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, 2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

but there is every indication that the Romans were proselytes pointed out by Paul in his zeroing in one. We'll call him "O man" (Romans 2:1 KJV). He was "called a Jew", rested in the law and made his boast of God:

Romans 2:17 KJV Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

Romans 2:25 KJV For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Hi , and by Rom 2:26 , Therefore if the Uncircumcision keep the Righteousness of the Law , Shall not his Uncircumcision be counted as Circumcision !

Acts 10:2 , A devout ma , and one that feared God with all his house , which gave much Alms to the people ( the Jews ) and Prayed to God .

Cornelius , then did not need Circumcision at ALL !!

DAN P

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DAN P For Your Post:

Tambora (August 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,173 Times in 4,963 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post
    Hi , and by Rom 2:26 , Therefore if the Uncircumcision keep the Righteousness of the Law , Shall not his Uncircumcision be counted as Circumcision !

Acts 10:2 , A devout ma , and one that feared God with all his house , which gave much Alms to the people ( the Jews ) and Prayed to God .

Cornelius , then did not need Circumcision at ALL !!

DAN P
    I don't believe he was either and at first glance, misread what Jerry posted.

later

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heir For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,173 Times in 4,963 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Some Gentiles were Greeks and others were not.
    All Greeks were Gentiles, but not all Gentiles were Greeks. We know them which were called at that time were Jews and Greeks. Paul had yet to let the cat out of the bag that he was being sent far hence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heir For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,175 Times in 6,337 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Are you saying that when Paul used the word "Gentiles" in this verse he was referring to Jews?:
    17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God,

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    The audience is gentiles that were proselytes to Israel, they know of the law and they know they are required to keep it. They are called Jew as a result. And Paul is now ready to share his gospel with them.
    It is what Paul said. I am sorry you don't like it, the part where people did in fact keep the law to earn life.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romans 3

We know who is speaking to and why. He speaking to gentiles proselytized to Israel. And we know he wants to share his gospel with them.

What advantage then has the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision? 2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God. 3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?

Let’s back up a bit to the point of this question. He said they were guilty and blasphemed the name of God before gentiles.

17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God, 18 and know His will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law. 21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? 22 You who say, “Do not commit adultery,” do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law? 24 For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” as it is written.

What good is it then? They are also guilty, which we will get to in just a minute.

1What advantage then has the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision? 2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God. 3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? 4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written:
    “That You may be justified in Your words,
    And may overcome when You are judged.”

5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.) 6 Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world?

Being a Jew has its advantage. Paul is also looking at the future. They do not believe, yet his faithfulness will not be made without effect.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul is speaking to gentiles aligned with Israel. This also is the "catholic church". This is why Peter is considered the first pope to them. They are wrong of course, as you can clearly see, and will see more. This church is going to be set aside.

But Paul wanted to tell them that being a Jew does have its advantage. There would be no point in saying so, and mentioning the future if there was not one.

But now, this is showing a change in status. “But now” compared to what was before means there is a change.

21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith of Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

But now, the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed. What does that mean? It means we are righteous without the law. Being a Jew has its advantage, but now there is a change. We are righteous without the law.

22 even the righteousness of God, through faith of Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

The righteousness of God goes to those who believe, through the faith of Jesus Christ. He went to the cross, you did not Jason.

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. God set forth a propitiation by his blood (and it pleased him to do so) through faith (allegiance to a duty) to demonstrate his righteousness because in his forebearance, God passed over the sins that were previously committed. The Passover was a foreshadowing of this event. At Passover death passed over those who believe, and the sign was the blood of the lamb. So could it be for Jason, death will pass over him if he accepts the righteousness of Christ, and throws his filthy rags in the trash.

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 39,567 Times in 24,571 Posts

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Copying this post here from another thread because it also fits with this study.
    (I changed a little of his formatting, but not the words.)

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post

Romans 1-3; 9-11, and 15, are talking about with regard to the status of the faith of God's Word as to His plan and purpose in Himself through His Son by the Spirit as to Israel.

Romans 3
    1. What advantage then hath the Jew? Or what profit is there of circumcision?
    2. Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
    3. For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?

Romans 9
    4. Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
    5. Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
    6. Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    7. Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

What God purposed in Himself to do as to all the above through His Son by the Spirit in that nation had not failed.

It only appeared to have failed - Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Romans 11 continues this thought - what happened with Israel that it appears God was now through with His purpose in Himself through them as to all that?

Romans 11
    1. I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

I'm sorry, but that passage is literal! The fact is that...

2. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? How he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,
    3. Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
    4. But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

Those were seven thousand sons of Jacob!

Well guess what? You see that principle - Israelites - sons of Jacob?

5. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
    6. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
    7. What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

This election of grace is not ours here - he is talking about the sons of Jacob who chose to believe the God of their fathers.

He is talking about this promise ---

Exodus 19
    3. And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
    4. Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
    5. Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
    6. And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
    7. And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.
    8. And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

Verse 8 "all the people" entered into that, but "not all" followed suit.

Romans 9-11 says very little about the Body of Christ because Paul is dealing with the issue of what became of God's faith to His Word as to Israel's adoption, and glory, and the promises, and all the rest.

That despite how things looked, it was...

6. Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    7. Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

He is relating the principle that things do not look as they appear.

And he is relating that to us Gentiles even now, thus his words in
    Romans 11
    25. For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

You need to carefully restudy all this out in light of the passages alone.

God Bless America

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,303 Times in 2,474 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My lovely sister, Tambora, I ought to send you all my posts to so nicely clean up; nice job; thanks

Thanks

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My lovely sister, Tambora,
    And "pretty". You forgot "pretty".

That's OK though. I'm here to keep reminding you.

God Bless America

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    And "pretty". You forgot "pretty".

That's OK though. I'm here to keep reminding you.
    Yes, Jerry-el-la, lol

Thanks

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, Jerry-el-la, lol
    Baahaahaa!

You're a good sport.

God Bless America

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 796 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My lovely sister, Tambora, I ought to send you all my posts to so nicely clean up; nice job; thanks
    Tams I believe used to be a School Miss
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Tams I believe used to be a School Miss
    Then again, because so many school miss...the Word...

Those of Mid-Acts end up having to school them...

Some of us peskier in that than others

Thread Information