kmoney, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney, if you have kids someday, do you think you will most likely home-school them, send them to private school, or send them to public school?

SUTG

what thread did that come from?

FYI, whenever you see a quote and want to go to the original post, you can just click on the arrow after the username that is being quoted.

This TOL tip was brought to you by SUTG.

..and, of course, I thought kmoney's post was hilarious.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No rush.

I may disappear for a few days here and there. We have a baby due to be born any day, and at some point soon I need to move this desk to install flooring underneath it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No rush.

I may disappear for a few days here and there. We have a baby due to be born any day, and at some point soon I need to move this desk to install flooring underneath it.
Congrats on the new baby! :baby:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Then why did you unequivocally answer "No," when I asked if you were an Evolutionist? :doh: Don't you think that answer was, to say the least, misleading?
If you feel mislead then I apologize. I said no to that original question because I don't consider myself an evolutionist. Neither do I consider myself a Creationist. The most accurate answer I can give is "I don't know", however, if I had to choose a way to which I'm leaning I'd say some form of theistic evolution. Sorry for the confusion.

kmoney, if you have kids someday, do you think you will most likely home-school them, send them to private school, or send them to public school?
Public or private. If there is a respected private school that we could afford I would maybe lean towards that, but I wouldn't be against homeschooling.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...And the other part I'm not sure what to call. I think the best way is to give an example. Public schooling is railed against all the time on TOL and homeschooling is praised. So I decided to post a thread mocking a homeschooler. I guess it's some form of devil's advocate or defending the side that is getting ridiculed the most. Do I actually find homeschooling objectionable? Absolutely not, but when I see homeschoolers criticizing public schooling in a way that I feel is excessive and/or unwarranted I want to stick up for them and "turn the tables" or whatever you want to call it. I think that's the best answer I can give.
I have news for you. TOL is not like the other 99.99+% of the world.

People send their kids to public school by default. Most people never even consider homeschooling their kids, and they think that homeschoolers are backwards. They make sure to buy homes in "good districts." And though they think that there may be some public schools that are dangerous, they think that their kids go to a really good one, that the things we talk about couldn't happen at their kids' school, and that everything will be okay because they are "involved." They are so entrenched in this way of thinking that we have to beat them over the head with a 2x4 just to get their attention a little bit to warn them about the danger they are putting their kids in.

The same goes for evolution. From the schools, the news media, Discovery Channel, PBS... EVERYWHERE we hear that evolution/big bang/billions of years is all well-proven fact. The only reason anyone would believe in a recently created Earth/universe is because they are religious wing-nuts with a blind devotion to their Holy Book, and they reject science. That's what I used to think, and I NEVER heard the other side of the story, because it is distorted if not altogether silenced in all those outlets I mentioned. Take the media coverage of the new Creation Museum as an example. Every article about it in the secular media quotes from Ph.D'ed evolutionists expressing their dismay that only one side is being presented (as though that weren't the case at other museums) and that Creationism rejects/ignores/runs contrary to science and is strictly religious. Then, in the name of objective reporting, they quote someone who likes the museum. So do they get a soundbite from a Creationist with an advanced degree in some scientific field? No, they get some church pastor to praise the museum. Thus they reinforce the myth that Evolution/old earth=science and evidence and Creation/young earth=religion and [blind] faith.

So, TOL is one of the few places where Creationists and home schoolers, while perhaps still in the minority here, have a voice and use it :sozo:.

And what do you do? You side with the "side that gets ridiculed the most"? Have you read an evolution/creation thread lately? Or ever? There's a lot more ridicule than substance from the evolutionists, and boy do they like to pile it on bob b, God bless him!

But that aside, consider the way the rest of the world, outside of TOL, bashes homeschoolers, Creationists, etc. and ask yourself which side is ridiculed the most? The Devil surely doesn't need your help, kmoney.

But, if you lean toward evolution being right, and you will likely send your children to public school, are you really playing devil's advocate on those issues or are you just expressing your actual views (and maybe hiding behind the "devil's advocate" excuse to try to stay on our good side)? I don't remember you ever coming to the pro-aborts' defense, for instance, when they've gotten thrashed here (thankfully).

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A few thoughts....

First off....they would not say we should hate them so much that we don't witness to them. In fact, they would say not witnessing to them would be hate. See Lev...
Lev 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​

Secondly, they would only say God wants them dead if they have committed sodomy. If there was a virgin homosexual they would not call for their death.

Thirdly, while they probably do say homosexuality is worse than some sins, I don't think they'd say it's the worst. I'm guessing the ranking has to do with what punishments each offense warranted under Mosaic Law, at least in part.

Fourthly, as far as the part about can they say God hates them and loves them at the same time.....they would of course answer yes. If you believe love and hate aren't mutually exclusive, which they don't, then this isn't a problem.

Why "they" and not "we"? Why do you distance yourself from them and their position, which you seem to understand quite well?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you feel mislead then I apologize. I said no to that original question because I don't consider myself an evolutionist. Neither do I consider myself a Creationist. The most accurate answer I can give is "I don't know", however, if I had to choose a way to which I'm leaning I'd say some form of theistic evolution. Sorry for the confusion.

Public or private. If there is a respected private school that we could afford I would maybe lean towards that, but I wouldn't be against homeschooling.

This smilie ---> :idunno: has GOT to be re-named to "kmo"!

Paine

BANNED
Banned
Kmoney is, in my humble opinion, the most intelligent and reasonable Christian with whom I have conversed during my time on these forums. He may accept that as either a profound compliment or a heinous insult, as he prefers.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Kmoney is, in my humble opinion, the most intelligent and reasonable Christian with whom I have conversed during my time on these forums. He may accept that as either a profound compliment or a heinous insult, as he prefers.

:idunno:

Revelation 3:16

csuguy

ah, but i thought I was ur fav :( lol

Status
Not open for further replies.