User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    revival comes from within. When people don't think there is much to change within, well, then they don't change.

A lot of "Christians" think they are just fine the way they are, even though they treat others poorly and etc. but Jesus said to love others as you love yourself. Would you say to yourself "self, you are dumb as a box of rocks?" Well, some of us probably would, at times anyway. But the point is, we should not say to others what we dont want said to us

2. The Following User Says Thank You to republicanchick For Your Post:

theophilus (April 8th, 2016)

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

The 2 areas where Christianity will make the greatest gains in the 21st C should be South America and Sub-Saharan Africa.

The fact that the RC Church recently elected an Argentinian pope reflects this demographic shift and there is a distinct possibility of an African pope in the near future.

The Western Church will not undergo a "general revival" unless their is a major threat to Europe and North America with which governments are unable to cope.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgarden For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 796 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has been happening in Africa and China for the last 50 years has been harvest not revival. The difference is that these are brand new believers coming into the Kingdom, yes by the MILLIONS, it is all Pentecostal in nature

In the Latinos many have become protestant from catholic, this also has been the work of the pentecostals.

What is happening in Africa and Asia ought to be happening in the west...but the west has rejected it by and large.
    Last edited by Totton Linnet; January 2nd, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Totton Linnet For Your Post:

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fzappa13 View Post
    Revival? ... ummm, who died?
    Many, if not most, so-called 'Christian' churches of the West, today, are full of dead-men's bones and not The Spirit of The Lord as they are called to be filled with. The church doesn't teach the cross or make disciples. It fills pews with dead members, twice-dead because they preach their empty dead religion to others and chase them away from The Living God with their dead sayings about their lack of faith in The Living Word. We need revival now more than ever in history because of what is about to hit this world: the Anti-Christ who will lead even the very elect astray.
    "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." -- Amos 3:7

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimiel For Your Post:

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soon the Great Healing Revival will break out, indeed it is already here. It will usher in the end-time harvest and will increase in size and strength as God wills.
    "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." -- Amos 3:7

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimiel For Your Post:

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,093 Posts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?
    Probably not, unless there is an extreme social reform, and society is moving in the complete opposite direction.

The fact of the matter is that Christianity is in the beginnings of being taken under siege. Christianity is probably going to soon be spending too much time enduring the onslaught to really have any thought of revival.

It's just a cold, blunt truth- the sooner it is acknowledged, the more Christians can be prepared.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crucible For Your Post:

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An overall strengthening of the Christian faith in Church is definitely possible, I believe. I think Christians have only scraped the very basics of Scripture and what it means to be a Christian. Having studied Theology, I can say without a doubt, that where there once was a time Christians could not understand the Latin taught in Churches, now we have the multitude of translations but the subtleties of the Ancient Hebrew, for example, are missing. If you compare the original Hebrew scripts with most Biblical editions you will probably find that some of the Hebrew words have been left out, some of the meanings loosely translated, and some of the hidden meanings completely forgotten. A revival of a deeper study into Scripture by Christians could most certainly lead to a general revival within the Church. There is more than meets the eye when it comes to reading and (I would stress) understanding Scripture. No?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,546 Times in 10,909 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arianadia View Post
    An overall strengthening of the Christian faith in Church is definitely possible, I believe. I think Christians have only scraped the very basics of Scripture and what it means to be a Christian. Having studied Theology, I can say without a doubt, that where there once was a time Christians could not understand the Latin taught in Churches, now we have the multitude of translations but the subtleties of the Ancient Hebrew, for example, are missing. If you compare the original Hebrew scripts with most Biblical editions you will probably find that some of the Hebrew words have been left out, some of the meanings loosely translated, and some of the hidden meanings completely forgotten. A revival of a deeper study into Scripture by Christians could most certainly lead to a general revival within the Church. There is more than meets the eye when it comes to reading and (I would stress) understanding Scripture. No?

I can't disagree, but I'm happy with English and the King James Bible, it's all I need. I see no reason to introduce Greek, Latin or Hebrew in my studies, I study enough in English to keep me filled with the word. To each his own, have fun knowing 3 different languages to say the same thing.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -

Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -

15. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

heir (April 11th, 2016)

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    I can't disagree, but I'm happy with English and the King James Bible, it's all I need. I see no reason to introduce greek, Latin or Hebrew in my studies, I study enough in English to keep me filled with thw word. To each his own, have fun knowing 3 different languages to say the same thing.
    Well said Patrick, indeed being able to read the English definitely beats having to learn the Latin, especially in this day and age. That said...Latin does have a rather nice ring to it, especially when hearing it sung by the choir.

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,664 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arianadia View Post
    Well said Patrick, indeed being able to read the English definitely beats having to learn the Latin, especially in this day and age. That said...Latin does have a rather nice ring to it, especially when hearing it sung by the choir.
    Latin is good for saying things that contain much wisdom in fewer words: Lex orandi, lex credenda

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ask Mr. Religion For Your Post:

Gold level Subscriber theophilus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,580 Times in 5,457 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimiel View Post
    Anti-Christ who will lead even the very elect astray.
    Matt. 24:24

It will NOT be possible to deceive the elect.

See Matt. 24:22.

Keep that in your heart. God will not allow His elect to be deceived, especially when His purpose is to bring them into Christ's glory.
    Do you not realize, O soul, that your every breath, every heartbeat, every thought, word, deed and motive are lived every second of every day before the very Face of God?

*Right now counts forever!

Romans 14:12
    Matt. 12:36-37

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi!

"And I'll be gone to heaven in a flash of fire with or without you." ~Hoyt Axton

- Psalmist
    - Desert Reign

20. The Following User Says Thank You to theophilus For Your Post:

LoneStar (April 10th, 2016)

Gold level Subscriber theophilus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,580 Times in 5,457 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Latin is good for saying things that contain much wisdom in fewer words: Lex orandi, lex credenda

AMR
    And lex vivendi.

Do you not realize, O soul, that your every breath, every heartbeat, every thought, word, deed and motive are lived every second of every day before the very Face of God?

*Right now counts forever!

Romans 14:12
    Matt. 12:36-37

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi!

"And I'll be gone to heaven in a flash of fire with or without you." ~Hoyt Axton

- Psalmist
    - Desert Reign

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theophilus For Your Post:

LoneStar (April 10th, 2016),Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,191 Times in 4,443 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    I can't disagree, but I'm happy with English and the King James Bible, it's all I need. I see no reason to introduce Greek, Latin or Hebrew in my studies, I study enough in English to keep me filled with the word. To each his own, have fun knowing 3 different languages to say the same thing.
    You are once again in agreement with what saith the scripture to us!

1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

That's a great place to be 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJV
    2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to heir For Your Post:

patrick jane (April 11th, 2016)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,093 Posts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    You are once again in agreement with what saith the scripture to us!

1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
    ..except that's not what the verse is meaning, at all

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible, yes. Probable, no.

Thread Information